Author Topic: Marks on grips  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Marks on grips
« on: June 13, 2005, 02:31:53 PM »
Mine just came in, and it has some "stringers" sticking out from the sides of the left hand grip -- I really don't want to send it back after waiting so long, any suggestions on how to remove them

Thanks,
Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline logical

• Expert
Re: Marks on grips
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »
Got an electric shaver?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 08:01:49 AM »
Brad:

If I correctely understand the situation, I would use a disposable razor to remove the fibers followed by a very light buffing with something like a green Scotch Brite pad or some 00 steel wool.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »
Just wanted to throw out there that I've begun work on a overarm CNC program to checker my grips to the same pattern, angle, and slightly greater depth as that in the Rohrbaugh triple pennant emblem already in the new C10 grips. It will surround the emblem without altering it, using a  border, and will cover most of the flat surface both grip faces,and will also be edge-bordered. I'm thinking this work will improve handling and ease of draw (particularly when the palms get humid) without detrimentally increasing holster or pocket friction. I can't bring myself to put stickyback all over the gun or "combat" the grips, and I agree they could be....well... 'grippier'.  
I'm leaving the frame alone. My theory is that near-full checkering of the grips will add more than enough extra surface area without the need to mess with the metal.

If the process works I'll be happy to offer it to anyone interested  - in exchange for home-cooked food, ammo, really good tequila, or just enough hard cash to make it worth my while. I'll post pics of the completed grips (unless I butcher them, in which case I'll be hunting for some replacement grips soon). Moderators, please feel free to move this post to the classified section if it's deluged with requests...`:~>  

If not, or if I'm reinventing the wheel (again!), someone please give me a backhand and tell me who's already doing this... Thanks!

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 03:20:10 PM »
Very interesting! I'll be looking forward to seeing the results.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:56:37 PM »
that sounds great. Let us know.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus