Author Topic: Shoulder holster  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Shoulder holster
« on: July 06, 2005, 02:41:32 AM »
Does anyone know of someone who makes a good shoulder holster?  My tailor thinks he can get my suits -- I live in houston, and wear very light fabric suits -- to conceal a gun better in a shoulder holster underneath the jacket, than w. an IWB carry or in the pocket -- guess the pocket would work, but it wouldn't drape properly w. something that bulky.

Brad
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Shoulder holster
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 01:02:30 PM »
Brad - I have one or two Bianchi sho rigs and tho not used much do like them.  Some of the major holster players do offer sho rigs and tho I can't think of a specific recommendation right off - do a web search on ''shoulder holster'' - I am sure this will set you off on a useful browse. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 02:20:46 PM »
Ken Null makes a version of the old Seventrees design. "White" polyethelene and white straps looks nice and is less noticable if you are wearing a white shirt with a suit. The design works very well with small guns.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »
Just wondering, with a gun as small as the R9, why not use a belt holster?  When I am in a suit I am, of course, wearing a narrower lighter belt then when I am in jeans, but still, I would think a belt holster would do the job.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 01:18:20 AM »
Because my tailor said it was easier to hide it under my shoulder... probably because I'm a 6'4" SHW powerlifter, or because I wear VERY light suits, and the gun might rub through the fabic in a hurry -- I also like shoulder holsters from the idea of being able to get to it easy while driving -- BTW my Ken Null works quite well, at least for me
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 01:46:33 AM »
... probably because I'm a 6'4" SHW powerlifter

Hm, and you carry a gun why?  ;D

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 08:32:49 AM »
Ken Null makes a version of the old Seventrees design. "White" polyethelene and white straps looks nice and is less noticable if you are wearing a white shirt with a suit. The design works very well with small guns.

Ken makes excellent products. I just ordered his shoulder holster rig in thin polymer, Model USH, and one IWB model GBS

Not cheap, but high quality and Ken is one of the 'Good guys'.

Offline mefly2

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 10:21:53 PM »
Galco makes a very nice synthetic / lined with suede shoulder holster for med / small autos.  My P7 is much larger than the R9s, but the holster could easily be modified for proper fit.  The rig is very adaptable as it uses velcro for the major adjustments. Although the harness is synthetic, I find that - in a lightweight pistol - it is far more comfortable that my leather harnesses for 1911 sized pistols.  Another consideration is to be sure to get the tie-downs necessary to prevent the harness riding up in your off-side arm pit (that's assuming that you will not have mags / cuffs to balance the pistol side).
mefly2
   ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 10:30:29 PM by mefly2 »

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 12:07:31 AM »
Aglifter, I assume you're talking about carrying the R-9S in a shoulder rig? Given your described size, it should disappear!

There are lots of points of specific interest about shoulder rigs, and although many folks dislike them, I have considerable personal experience with them, and find them quite useful and comfortable, as long as you make your choices and adjustments circumspectly.
I've even written a little monograph on the subject which might be of possible interest or use at  http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/shr.htm

The main issues are choosing a style of rig (vertical or  horizontal) and choosing a size of gun appropriate for your frame; a smaller person can conceal a large gun more readily in a belt holster (especially IWB) than in a horizontal shoulder holster, for instance. With judicious choices in gun and rig and with careful harness adjustment, a shoulder rig can be an optimal means of CCW.
Best.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 02:06:08 AM »
Thanks, I got one that I'm quite happy w. from Ken Null -- still haven't decided if I'll use it that much w. a suit -- always have my 1911 + 3 clips in the briefcase -- depends on where I am I guess.

Offline LCP

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 10:54:11 PM »
I have a very nicely made ankle holster made by Ken Null that I originally bought to use with my PM9. Now that I have an R9 I retired the PM9 and wouldn't you know the R9 fits right nice in that ankle holster.  As far as under the shoulder I use a Kramer undershirt holster and with the R9 you almost don't even know it's there.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Shoulder holster
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 10:27:55 AM »
>>Has anyone actually put a shoulder holster in play with an R9...?  Any pics...?

I'm considering use for some of my smaller guns, like the R9, G26, or J-frames...never had one though - shoulder holster, that is.  I'm a big guy ~ 6' and ~275lbs...I'm a very casual kind of guy, this time of year often wearing a vest of some sort (tactical vs. style).  What I visualize is something like a Miami rig...ideally with interchangable holsters (??) for versitility, if such things exist.

I'm very open to thoughts/opinions/and especially pics...!  Thanks guys...TW<<
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 10:29:34 AM by TW »

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 11:23:06 AM »
Here are some pictures I made of my shoulder holster.  Please scroll down some to find them.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1131723561;start=

Bill
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:11:01 AM by Michigunner »

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Shoulder holster
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
Here are some pictures I made of my shoulder holster.  Please scroll down some to find them.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Accessories;action=display;num=1131723561;start=

Bill

>>Hi all...

Based on this and another Shoulder Holster thread around here I just purchased two SMZ holsters in black from Ken Null...got one for my J-frames and one for the Colt Pocket Nine.  

Dealing with Ken was a real pleasure and I'm very happy with the holsters, although I am still working on all the straps...!  My understanding is that Ken makes these holsters using a real gun/per order.  I'm hoping the Pocket Nine set up will accept the R9...but if not I'll just have to buy another...!

Bottom line = Bill and others - thanks for the heads up a bout the SMZ holster.  I think this rig will be perfect for small carry guns in particular...TW<<