Author Topic: A couple of first effort holsters for R9S  (Read 6446 times)

Offline Matt Del Fatti

A couple of first effort holsters for R9S
« on: November 28, 2004, 08:06:57 PM »
Well Guys, instead of screwing around this weekend........I built a couple of holsters for the R9S. They're both left handed (before anyone gets confused).  I took some quick photos and thought I'd throw them on the site....
A left hand BPB (Between the pants and belt):

And a left hand PH (Pocket holster):

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
Re: A couple of first effort holsters for R9S
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 08:42:21 PM »
Very nice.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 09:35:04 PM »

Very nice, love that stitching !!
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »
Very very KOOL!!!  Lovely work.  Kudos Sir. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 12:18:13 AM »
Nice work, Matt.  Glad you are offering items for the R-9.

For those who want further samples of Matt's work, I will share a photo of my Del Fatti belt holster for my Ruger SP-101.  Thanks again, Matt.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 01:11:19 AM »
Thanks all!

Hey Duane, does that laser grip keep the revovler from seating in the holster?

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 02:21:43 AM »
>>Duane...

What caliber is your SP 101...?...and why did you choose the Ruger over a Smith...?  I have a Smith .357 rig similar to what you have only I've opted for a recessed hammer for carry.  I'm contemplating an SP 101 in another caliber.  Thanks for your input...TW<<

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 02:26:27 AM »
>>I like the carry holster a lot...especially the leather ridge at the top of the gun which helps stabilize the rig in a big pocket...TW<<

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:47:35 AM »
TW - not to pre-empt a reply from Duane but - I also carry an SP-101 most of time ... tho just happens for now I am trying out my BHP in a lovely Horseshoe leather rig I received from rWt .. (thx again Dick).  Soon be back to SP tho I expect... sits so well.

I also have CT grips on mine and hammer has spur, which gives me no cause for concern at all..  

My own choice was because I like the Ruger ruggedness and weight does not concern me - in fact I want some weight in a small piece.! Mine is (as I suspect is Duane's) the .357 mag - tho my carry load is is Corbon +P 110's.

I have nothing against Smiths ... love em to bits but - for carry I want rugged durability - plus a gun I am not going to be ''precious'' about when it comes to carry wear etc.

Below is a magnificent rig Kevin (KD Holsters) made for me - as a replacement for my still useable Jim Burke (rest his soul). The original is still going to last a lot longer but - liking it as much as I do - just had to have another.  This one was modelled closely to the Burke one, tho - Kevin's artistic flair shows thru as it is much more handsome externally. :)  You gotta love the color.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 10:16:36 AM »
Matt,

Sorry to get your thread going in a different direction!  I didn't notice a fit issue, but I see what you are seeing.   I will look at it again tonight to see if it is seating all the way.

TW,

My SP-101 is actually 9mm!  I love mooncliped guns and I ran across this one used for a great price with the CT laser grips on it.  

As far as Smith v. Ruger -- I learned to shoot with Rugers and have always liked them.  I think there is no doubt that Ruger revolvers are stronger than the S&W counterparts, and I think the quality is easily on par.   That being said, I do like S&W guns a lot too, and my favorite right now is my Performance Center 625 V-Comp.

Frankly, I picked the SP-101 this time because I found one in 9mm.  However, I do think the SP-101 is as good or better than a S&W Model 60.  The big advantage with S&W though, is a lot more choices of styles, materials, etc.

This SP-101 will be loaded with hot 9mm +Ps and won't give up too much on a .357 Magnum.  The moonclips allow for fast, fumble free loading -- and perhaps just as importantly -- ease of extraction of empties.

I am going to take this gun to a 600+ round training in two weeks -- Randy Cain's Tactical Hangun 101.  I will let you know how it holds up.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 06:30:09 PM »
Hi Matt, I really like the holsters! As I am left handed, I sure would like to buy the inside the belt holster. How much is it and can I have it?  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Matt Del Fatti

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 08:49:32 PM »
Sorry Tom.  That one is gone.  I replied to your PM.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 07:55:01 PM »
Very nice...

Both in black too  8)

Very "Cult" of you... ;)

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 03:43:55 PM »
How much for the pocket holster?

Tom

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 02:47:40 PM »
I just wanted to pass along my thanks to Matt for my purchase of his 'first effort' pocket holster. Now that I finally have my R9 I was able to give this holster a 'test drive' and am happy to report that I am very pleased with it. It is so well boned that the R9 sucked into the holster like a vacuum! I had to break it in a little bit to get a smooth draw from my pocket and it now sits quite securely in my left front pocket and draws readily. Due to the design and rough side out the holster sticks like velcro to the inside of my pocket and does not print like a gun to outside appearances, especially in darker clothing.

One trick I've learned from pocket carry of a variety of firearms is that darker clothing seems to print less. If I'm really worried about printing and can't cover my pocket with clothing I will put a small pair of walkman-like headphones that I position to just stick out of my pocket. It feeds into the pre-conceived notion that I then must have a CD player or whatever in my pocket. Hiding in plain sight! To my knowledge I have never been detected.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 01:21:00 AM by FireBreather01 »
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor