Author Topic: Grip screw removal  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Grip screw removal
« on: September 23, 2005, 08:31:28 PM »
I've tried, unsuccessfully, to remove my grip screws.  The wrenches fit snugly, but when I try to turn the screws, the wrench just "bends" -- should I just try more torque, or am I missing something?

Thanks
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Grip screw removal
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:02:08 PM »
Aglifter,
Be patient.  Given time, the screws will shoot loose.  
Out of the box, my upper left grip screw wouldn't budge, even with a brand new Craftsman allen wrench.  The other three screws gave up without any sweat.
After my third range session I found that pesky upper left screw was finally ready to come out for me.  If I was 20 years younger, that tight screw would have a stripped head.  But I've found age has given me more patience (in return for less stamina!)  

Steve

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:49:10 PM »
Steve has wise advice.  In spite of my age, I let impatience get the better of my judgment and stripped one of the grip screws on my new R9s.  I wound up having to drill it out with a damaged-screw remover and was lucky to get it done without damaging the grip panel or frame.  I then ordered a supply of replacement grip screws and have treated them with a delicate touch since that time.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 08:49:51 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 11:46:50 PM »
IME, admittedly brief (260-some rounds), the right grip panel screws on the R-9S will back out under recoil, but not the left.
If yours haven't backed out yet, keep shooting.

Once the grip screw do back out, a little blue Loc-Tite on the screw tips will stop it from occuring, yet still permit easy removal with Alen wrench.
Humani nihil alienum