Author Topic: Concealed Carry Suggestions?  (Read 10573 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Concealed Carry Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
I hope this helps:

Karl Rohrbaugh carries a Glock 43 and loves it! He shoots sub 3" groups at 25 yards with one!

I've also shot his 43 and it's really not bad at all to shoot. I really like the darn thing.

There ya go ……………………………….

Buy the Glock 43 and as we say up here on Long Island. . . . . (Brooklyn)

. . . . . "Forget about it"

Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 11:15:06 AM »
I suggest that you take a look at the S&W 9mm Shield. It is one of their best products in a long time. The Shield comes with or without a thumb safety. Also, the Springfield X-DS- Mod-2 might be a carry candidate:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/9mm-springfield-xd-s-mod-2-review/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:25:57 AM by tracker »

bamboobob

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
A friend has  shield likes it
iwb edc.      Mag release gets rusty
I  bought.  s and w 642 for coat in winter, took off laser for smaller grip to front pocket   
carry.  It fit some pants better than R9. Got lazy
with 642.  Recent personal events remind me pocket carry as primary(while belted in car) not best for metro Detroit area
Baak to 5.7      or new Kimber 4 inch and aluminum frame with 300 round test
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:39:00 PM by bamboobob »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
I am going to the range this weekend where I will be able to shoot a Glock 43, S&W Shield & A Dan Wesson ECO 9mm, & a Springfield Armory XDS MOD 2.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 10:43:34 PM »
I’ve got a Glock 43, a Springfield XDs .45, a Rohrbaugh R9, and a Sig p365.
I like em all!
But... the Glock is slightly bigger than the Sig, with less rounds. The Sig has a superior trigger, came standard with night sights, and 13 rounds on board with the extended magazine, which is what I front pocket carry it with, and for me doesn’t need a spare magazine. Mine has 1,000 plus rounds through it without a hiccup. I’m Sorry you had problems with yours!
 I really like the grip safety on the XDs, and the texture of the grip-zone😛, but it is a serious lump for pocket carry, and loads out with 6 rounds using the flush mag, and 8 with the extended mag.
I think of it as a really compact alternative to a 1911.
The Rohrbaugh is crazy accurate and a jewel that offers 9mm performance in a true .380 size package. My Rohrbaugh is a prized possession way beyond it’s functional merit.
But, but...I do agree that the Glock is especially robust, shoots just like it’s big brothers, and may be the most dependable, and the brand that I would be most comfortable with buying, loading, and carrying, if forced to, without first testing.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 09:39:05 AM »
So, I went to the range. First I shot the Springfield Armory...nice gun, but didn't feel quite right for me. Then I shot the S&W Shield...nice gun, very accurate, nice feel to it. Then I shot the Glock 43...a bit snappier than the other two, but manageable, accurate, nice fit in my hand, & comfortable to handle. I have a Glock 19 for home protection. I chose that gun because to me it is always going to go boom...always. The Glock 43 gives me that same feeling. I like that. Then I shot the Dan Wesson ECO 9mm 1911. I realize that this gun is in a different league than the others. I am a Dan Wesson fan already owning the Discretion ( threaded barrel model) in .45 as a match for my suppressor. The ECO weighs in at 27 ozs, & has a 3 1/2" barrel. It is Officer size.  The fit & finish looks to me almost as good as a Wilson Combat at 1/2 the price. Minimal recoil & incredible accuracy. I love 1911s. I feel the same way about Dan Wessons as I do Glocks. The problem became that I love the ECO, but not the $1600+ price tag. I like the $459 price on the Glock 43. For the hell of it, I call my buddy who is in charge of internet sales for Shoot Straight here in Florida. That is the vehicle they use to sell their best trade ins. Guess what? They took in trade a pristine DW ECO 9mm & I could have it for $1095! I had their gunsmith check it out. Unfired except at the factory & perfect. Bought it. Had to at that price. I love a good deal & this was one. What about the Glock 43? Picking one up Monday...I really liked that gun! Thanks for all your suggestions.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 04:44:24 PM »
      What I have found is the sad thing about a Glock is you can't go wrong.
               I have had, I'm guessing, 9 or 10 and the only reason I sold and bought different models is because I could.They are cheap.I got rid of my #27 this last March and got a #19.It just hurt too much to shoot it.I had it for quite a few years but after an arm injury two years ago, one day this last spring I traded it in for a #19.Fun gun to shoot.Runs steel casings thru it without a jam,and easy to clean.And,being a Glock,I can carry my #43 without any rethinking.
          Just my opinion.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 09:48:59 AM »

I'm also on the Glock 43 train.  I liked my Glock 42 so much, I got a 43. ;)

The 42 is like a dream gun.  If you can live with .380 ACP, it is awesome.  The 43 is slightly bigger and slightly snapper, but not difficult to shoot at all.  Highly recommended.

Do you carry the 42?

I carry both the 42 and 43.  Some pockets are a little small for the 43.  Depending on what I am doing, I don't feel undergunned with a .380 and high quality ammo, especially in the summer in Florida.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »

I'm also on the Glock 43 train.  I liked my Glock 42 so much, I got a 43. ;)

The 42 is like a dream gun.  If you can live with .380 ACP, it is awesome.  The 43 is slightly bigger and slightly snapper, but not difficult to shoot at all.  Highly recommended.

Do you carry the 42?

I carry both the 42 and 43.  Some pockets are a little small for the 43.  Depending on what I am doing, I don't feel undergunned with a .380 and high quality ammo, especially in the summer in Florida.

What ammo do you use?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »
Here is one hot number but there are others:
https://www.lehighdefense.com/products/380-auto-90gr-xtreme-penetrator-ammunition?variant=1066236304
Would this ammo present a problem legally/civilly if it was used?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »
It is quite possible but I am not a lawyer. Maybe Duane knows some case history on this subject.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 01:23:25 PM »
If I were going to carry the Lehigh bullets, I would buy the Underwood loading and I would use the Extreme Defender as opposed to the Extreme Penetrator.

I have shot the 380 +P shown below out of my Kahr P380 with zero problems.  The average velocity was 1293 fps out of the 2.5" barrel with good accuracy.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/380-acp-p-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7865927794745

I shot the 9mm +P shown below out of my Solo with zero problems also.  The average velocity was 1302 fps out of the 2.75" barrel and again with good accuracy.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/9mm-luger-p-90-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7878244859961

As far as legal problems, I can't believe there is a problem but Lawyers will try anything.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
It is quite possible but I am not a lawyer. Maybe Duane knows some case history on this subject.

I suppose anything like this will give potential "ammunition" to a lawyer.  However, I don't think there is a lot of legs to the argument that the shooter was looking for a fight because he used "extra deadly" ammo.  Shooting at someone with a firearm is lethal force no matter what ammo you are using.  I'm not sure it makes much difference so long as the ammo is legal and generally commercially available.

This is the type of question that Mas Ayoob would be good to answer.  I recall him suggesting in the past that it might not be the worst idea in the world to use the same type of ammo that one of your local law enforcement agencies use.

Personally, I like Winchester PDX-1 and Speer Gold Dot.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com