Author Topic: New to me R9  (Read 3767 times)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
New to me R9
« on: December 18, 2023, 03:56:45 PM »
Some of you remember that I had a Covert eat a slide pin and damage one of the rails so badly that I could not fix it.  I have all of the innards and a Covert slide waiting for a loose frame, but none has turned up.  I bought an old R9 Stealth on GB early this a.m.  It had a badly stained  slide on the left side, but is otherwise  functional according to the seller.  I bought it for $570 (auction ended at 12:30 a.m.  I will clean it up, put on the Covert slide and have, basically, a refurbished Stealth R9, with an extra slide that could be recoated easily (will sell it) and all spare parts for my 3 (now) R9’s.  Will need to decide about putting the renovated pistol up for auction I guess.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: New to me R9
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
I look forward to some before and after pictures.

It's good to see these guns restored as needed.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 08:45:21 AM »
Smart thinkin!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 09:58:16 AM »
I picked up the gun at my FFL.  The stains on the left side of the slide appear to have been caused by mold on a wet/sweaty holster.  The gun had been dropped and there was a nick on the left front trigger guard showing silver metal (this was a stealth model, serial #33++) but it was in otherwise good shape.  I took it apart, cleaned it carefully, and replaced the stained slide with my Covert slide, couldn’t rack the slide.  At that point the trigger spring came loose and the trigger no longer worked….took off the right grip and replaced the trigger spring, but could not keep it in place, so used a spare spring and put the original slide back on with a spare right grip….seems to function fine but will need to take it to the range this week.  If it works OK, will again try to replace the slide with the one off of my defunct Covert.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 06:04:53 AM »
Ref. the trigger spring on those two location pins:  A fix that works well is I would place the spring on the pins, use a pointed punch, and peen the metal the pins over the spring, holding it in place. Usually, two punches per pin did the trick.

ECR
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 10:35:13 AM »
Thanks Eric.  I usually have no problem placing the spring, but the one that came with the pistol had, I think, been pinned and the loop was simply too small for the pin; it was just easier to use a new pin, of which I have many.  Hope to get to the range today…more later.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 09:38:43 AM »
Took it back to the range, had multiple stovepipes.  Changed mags and continued to have failures to extract fully or stovepipe results.  Changed the spring altho the one in place looked OK.  The firing pin retainer is solid and immobile.  I still cannot get the extra (Covert) slide to rack, so have been using the one with mold stains that came with the gun….clearly more work to do here!
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 10:37:40 AM »
Back to the range yesterday after replacing the recoil spring, polishing the feed ramp and vigorously brushing and cleaning the headspace.  If all works fine!  I bought this so I could replace the stained slide with the Covert slide recovered from my damaged Covert, but the slide will not go on this pistol, nor on my others, likely due to damage incurred when the slide pin broke and bounced around after the 2nd shot.  When I get a chance I’ll look for cracks or deformity.  My plan was to change the slide and sell the pistol at a profit, but I kinda like it now, will adopt it as a mistreated orphan.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 07:15:51 PM »
Give a look all about the slide and remove any burrs. You should be able to get it to fit the frame easy enough.

ecr
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 09:19:51 AM »
Thanks Eric.  Will do.  No cracks or obvious deformity noted on inspection yesterday.
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis