Author Topic: Help removing grips  (Read 7051 times)

Offline Peter Hartmann

Help removing grips
« on: April 18, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
l've seen multiple threads on people having trouble removing the grip screws.  Mine came out without trouble once I found the right tool.  But, with the screws out, the panels won't budge.  The fit is so tight I can't get anything under the edge, and pushing on the side of the grip isn't working.  Is there a trick to it?  I don't want to mar the finish, but I'd like to get my new VZ grips on.

Offline tattoo

• Master
Re: Help removing grips
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:24:48 PM »
Maybe try a puddy knife with tape over end

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
Do you have a soft head mallet? A good WACK! That has worked for me in the past on other guns.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »
I agree with Kevin Peter. We used a dental spatula at the shop to do that sometimes, but a light tap from a phenolic hammer worked also.

Welcome aboard.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Peter Hartmann

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
Got it.  Thanks for the help.  The posts that pass through the body of the pistol were really wedged into the grips, making it very hard to take off the panels.  What worked was a couple solid taps with a rubber malett to loosen things up, and then a thin plastic wedge to slip in and lift up.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:46:48 PM »
This is good to hear Peter. . . . . Now carry on Sir.   
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.