Author Topic: Gunsmith Recommendations  (Read 26737 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Re: Gunsmith Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
Hello J,

You need to phone me. I have some questions for you.

631 - 875 - 5318

Speak with you soon. Let's see what we can do here.

Regards,

Eric Rohrbaugh
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
Grease to the barrel and slide around ejection area definitely helped. Thank you offrdmania. But problem remains. I made a video that might help. If you want to see it, copy and paste this link in your browser: https://youtu.be/BnkcaDy62cw

Also, took photos and one of them might shed light on problem. Photos show the grease and hopefully this will not obscure view. Also, I compressed the photos to be small enough to meet the specification of this forum. I have them in much higher resolutions.

I have no explanation for what is happening. Everything seems in order to me. Your ideas much appreciated.

I have an idea. If you reassemble the slide and install it back onto the frame but don't install the pin... Does it still bind 5mm back?

Offline JMH

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 08:28:54 AM »
Hello Eric, Would much appreciate your input. I will call between 12 & 1 Eastern. Hello offrdmania, good question. I was able to replicate the symptom with a replacement roll pin from Williams Gun and then without any roll pin. At the point where the slide hits something (approx. 5mm from 'at rest' position) the edge of the hole in the frame for the roll pin is just barely visible. On another topic, I noticed the four photographs I uploaded are not with my previous post. I made certain that all four combined were well under the size limit. Learning curve probably. But that is for another day.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »
Good discussion today J. Hopefully you can make her well again.

Please let me know how you make out.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 06:02:14 PM »
Please keep us all posted.

Offline JMH

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
Hello All; Back after Irma. And no complaints from me. We were very, very, fortunate compared to others. I've had time to think about your suggestions including an insight from ECR. Thank you all for your time and consideration.  With your input I am thinking before I begin filing or sanding etc. (on anything) I should try substitution. I was thinking about what ECR shared about Rohrbaugh's custom machined parts. Variations of really tight tolerances could be invisible to the naked eye. I just have no idea if the barrel or the slide is out of tolerance and the difference must be very minor since the slide  kind of works. So I am considering looking for a barrel to swap out next week. I suspect  the solution is either a barrel or slide replacement(black box).  If anyone has a barrel for sale I would be happy to invest in trying this out before I do any damage with a file or emery cloth. Any terms you say. Even a loaner with a big deposit or another Owner in Tampa Bay willing to meet could be worked out. But without a barrel or slide appreciating that this is a remarkable device I would buy another in a New York Minute without hesitation. Does it sound like I am on the right track or have I missed something? Thanks in advance.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »
Hello All; Back after Irma. And no complaints from me. We were very, very, fortunate compared to others. I've had time to think about your suggestions including an insight from ECR. Thank you all for your time and consideration.  With your input I am thinking before I begin filing or sanding etc. (on anything) I should try substitution. I was thinking about what ECR shared about Rohrbaugh's custom machined parts. Variations of really tight tolerances could be invisible to the naked eye. I just have no idea if the barrel or the slide is out of tolerance and the difference must be very minor since the slide  kind of works. So I am considering looking for a barrel to swap out next week. I suspect  the solution is either a barrel or slide replacement(black box).  If anyone has a barrel for sale I would be happy to invest in trying this out before I do any damage with a file or emery cloth. Any terms you say. Even a loaner with a big deposit or another Owner in Tampa Bay willing to meet could be worked out. But without a barrel or slide appreciating that this is a remarkable device I would buy another in a New York Minute without hesitation. Does it sound like I am on the right track or have I missed something? Thanks in advance.

The only 9mm barrels that I know of are the overpriced ones on eBay unless Eric has a few hidden away for a rainy day

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
Remington has hired William's Gunsights to handle warranty work  for the Rohrbaughs.

Call them and they would probably fix your gun under warranty.  They replaced a bad barrel in mine that came that way from the factory.

Offline JMH

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
I will call Williams Tuesday and follow up. Thank you for the suggestions.

Offline JMH

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 01:28:24 PM »
Spoke with Alex at Williams Gun Sight today and learned he has no more barrels. He explained that if the barrel was the problem Remington might offer a replacement from their product line. But there is nothing comparable to an R9 in my view so the search continues.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 01:33:08 PM »
Spoke with Alex at Williams Gun Sight today and learned he has no more barrels. He explained that if the barrel was the problem Remington might offer a replacement from their product line. But there is nothing comparable to an R9 in my view so the search continues.

Did you ask him if the problem is covered by warranty?  I do not know what your problem is but if it is covered under warranty I would have Alex's Gunsmiths take a look at it and see if they can't fix it.

There are barrels on ebay but those are probably rejects or seconds.

Offline JMH

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2017, 08:26:07 PM »
I spoke with Alex today at Williams Gun Sight (Very responsive and helpful). He explained. 'If the barrel is out of spec and the cause of the problem the matter gets turned over to Remington. They would honor the warranty and offer a replacement. Alex did not know what kind of replacement but it is likely the RM380 or R51 would be the only choices. This is respectable policy and I appreciate the support but I have handled both of these in gun shops and without criticism they are just not comparable IMHO. These R9's are really remarkable and I am going to try to get it working right. I will update on any progress. Thank you.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
Remington may have some R-9s in their back stash--just sayin'.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
I spoke with Alex today at Williams Gun Sight (Very responsive and helpful). He explained. 'If the barrel is out of spec and the cause of the problem the matter gets turned over to Remington. They would honor the warranty and offer a replacement. Alex did not know what kind of replacement but it is likely the RM380 or R51 would be the only choices. This is respectable policy and I appreciate the support but I have handled both of these in gun shops and without criticism they are just not comparable IMHO. These R9's are really remarkable and I am going to try to get it working right. I will update on any progress. Thank you.

You may have to just bit the bullet (no pun intended) and buy one of the barrels on ebay

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:01 PM »
I would send it to Williams and let them diagnose it.  If they can't fix it, it is still yours to do what you want with it.

What do you think is wrong with the barrel?  That to me is a strange problem if the gun had worked at one time.