Author Topic: Someone tell me how to posst a picture?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Yachtsman

Someone tell me how to posst a picture?
« on: December 22, 2005, 10:22:15 AM »
Plese help my ignorance.  I wish to post a picture like the Show us yoour grips.  Can't seem to find the way to do it.
Steve

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Someone tell me how to posst a picture?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 11:54:05 AM »
Steve,

It's really easy.  Here is an overview of  one procedure.

1. Take pictures with digital camera.  You might use the "Good" setting on the camera so the pictures will be smaller.  The final result will help those with dial-up connections which take a long time to download the pictures for viewing.

2. Remore memory card from camera, and insert into USB card reader which is attached to USB port on computer.

3. Double-click My Computer on the Desktop.  You will see the USB Card Reader appearing as one of the Drives.

4. Copy the pictures from the memory card to a folder of your choice on the C: drive.   You could even make a new folder, and call it: Uploads

5.  Review the pictures, and remember the filenames which you want to display.  Consider renaming them to more meaningful names which are easily remembered.

6. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will most likely have a procedure for you to upload the pictures from your computer to your personal storage on their computer, commonly called a server.

7. Go ahead and upload your pictures.  Follow the ISP's instructions.   They will help you identify the location of the picture on your computer, by allowing you to browse until it is found.  They will then take over, and do the actual work.

8. Remember how you always see http://  etc, etc, at the top of your browser?  That is called a URL (Uniform Resource Locator).

9.  Your pictures will have a specific URL.

10.  Here is a sample of my URL for a picture.  Please click on the hyperlink if you wish.  This is one way of allowing people to see your pictures.  Meanwhile, here on this forum, we usually have the picture displayed right in the post.

http://home.comcast.net/~michigunnerII/onlinestorage/DCP_3388.JPG

11. Note that there is an unusual character present    ~
Of course, your userid will appear in the URL.  There's nothing magic about the word onlinestorage.  It could have been called frog just as easily.

12.  Now you make your post on the forum using the following technique.  I inserted an * so the following would not appear here as an actual picture.  You must remove the * so it will.

[img*]http://home.comcast.net/~michigunnerII/onlinestorage/DCP_3388.JPG[/img*]

You can see the URL surrounded by a beginning "tag" and an ending "tag", which are  special character sequences which help this software program discover the URL.

If you have more questions, please ask.  The folks here will be happy to help.

Bill

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 12:50:35 PM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:19:26 PM »
Hi Steve - again! :)

Well Bill has done a great job there and hopefully it'll help you get sorted out.

In a nutshell - upload pics to some host or other and display pic URL here, inside ''img'' tags !

Suggestion tho - to help folks on dial-up - keep pics close to 640x480 if poss' and compress so file not too huge - 50-75k is not a bad size.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:58:58 PM »
I was reluctant to go into so much detail, without being familiar with Steve's computer setup and experience.

If someone is just getting started with a new Christmas computer, maybe it will help a little.

Bill