Author Topic: Rohrbaugh's future in NY  (Read 6084 times)

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
Rohrbaugh's future in NY
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:58 PM »
I wasn't even sure where to start this thread, but I guess the Water Cooler is probably the place.

Living here in NY has its pros and cons, and usually the balance between the upstate moderates and the downstate liberals is acceptable.  With the last election, things might be changing, though.  Check out this bill, and realize that Rohrbaugh is a New York gun company... how will this affect future R editions?

S-1369, smart guns
Posted by: "Jacob J. Rieper, Legislative Director" jrieper@nysrpa.org   nyrkba
Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 am (PST)

Carl Kruger introduced Andrew Cuomo's "smart guns" proposal, S-1369:
"Enacts personalized gun safety provisions creating a temporary state commission to adopt standards for firearms sold or manufactured in this state (and test prototypes) including, but not limited to, personalizing all firearms manufactured, assembled, altered, offered for sale, sold, traded, transferred, shipped, leased, distributed, acquired or possessed within the state so that only authorized users can operate them; requires manufacturers and others to comply with the standard four years from the date on which the commission's original standard is adopted; exempts antique firearms and those manufactured prior to the compliance date, except that dealers are prohibited from selling or otherwise transferring those guns; imposes penalties against those who manufacture, transport or ship firearms that do not meet the safety standard and against those who deface or alter the personalized characteristic; authorizes persons who are injured, or the representative of those killed, by the discharge of firearms not meeting the standard to bring an action against the person who fires the weapon and the owner thereof."

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S01369

Jacob J. Rieper, Legislative Director
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association
http://www.nysrpa.org
http://www.rpa-pac.org

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: Rohrbaugh's future in NY
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 09:25:20 AM »
If such a monstrosity becomes law in New York and survives court review, Tennessee offers all kinds of economic incentives for manufacturers to relocate to this state -- and around here, the Second Amendment is highly regarded.    
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 02:32:56 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
Sounds like need to make some noise. But most of what we say falls on deaf ears.  Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
Howdy -  I have never spoken to the brothers  or have got to know them as some of you have.   Do they have strong ties to NY?  With family and such?
If not, besides expense, moving may not be a catastrophic deal if things got nasty.

But on the other hand it is very early in the game to be worrying about such speculation - while, interesting to contemplate.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »
Boy, that new bill should make New Yorkers safer!  Every bad guy in the state will have to turn his piece in for one of those new smart guns.  Oh, yeah - bad guys don't obey firearms laws (there are already over 22,000 laws on the books).  
And firearms manufacturers like Rohrbaugh will move their plant out of NY for more friendly parts.
Connecticut and Massachusetts were the birthplace of the firearms industry.  They're very gun-unfriendly states and have seen the manufacturers like Ruger move their production facilities out of state.  I suppose Rohrbaugh will eventually have to do the same.  The PA border is about 90 miles from Bayport, NY.  If they move that far, may as well move to the southwest where the climate (weather & legislative) is more agreeable.  ;D  

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
There once were many great firearms manufacturers in NY, including some huge names.  I think Remington started here... Ithaca, of course... and many others.  One by one they have gone out of business, moved, or been bought and moved.  There are still some left, but if this bill passes, they will all simply have to go.  

Obviously it is absurd.  That bill can ONLY accomplish forcing the rest of them out of the state, and then what?  Laws that say I can only buy a "smart gun" when no one yet manufactures "smart guns" so... catch 22... I can't buy any more guns.  But, all my old guns will be grandfathered...  right.

Although... you know... technology is advancing.  I have no idea how hard it is to put some sort of fingerprint recognition system into a trigger, but with the computers we have today, it actually wouldn't surprise me if some Chinese company won't start selling those triggers for $19.95, that anyone could install into their gun.  Is it likely... no.  But it still wouldn't surprise me.

And, people in NY will need guns to carry and conceal, and I don't know of any manufacturer that is selling "smart guns" these days.  If Rohrbaugh started selling them, they might corner the market.  People would have to buy a Rohrbaugh because there simply wouldn't be another choice.  The law is a disaster, but if it passes, then the first company that produces a ?smart gun? that will meet the law?s standards will effectively lock up the market for the state.  Or, the first company that produces the aftermarket conversion will become unbelievably rich.  

My quick Internet search on ?smart guns? seems to show that New Jersey is also going down this same road, so, again, the company that meets the demand will be laughing all the way to the bank.

In the meantime, though, all the gun stores would go out of business.  If you can only sell "smart guns" in a state, and there are no "smart guns" for sale... you no longer have a business.  It seems like this bill is for all firearms, not just handguns? including long guns and shotguns... it will be impossible to buy any guns in NY.

Here is one link on the topic.

http://vpc.org/fact_sht/smartgun.htm
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:26:10 PM by WoodstockDoug »

Offline Duncan223

• Proud Son Of The American Revolution
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
I think that every firearm mfgs and ammo producers should move their facilities out of places like New York and Illinois and move to a gun-friendly state, Like Florida, Texas, etc. However, the move must be VERY public, press conferences leading up to the move, public statements about the reason for the move, documentation about the economic impact from the move (loss of jobs, tax revenue, etc.).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:35:26 PM by Duncan223 »
NRA, GOA, SAF, JFPO

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:09 AM »
Duncan, well said ;D   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Rohrbaugh's future in NY
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 01:17:56 AM »
Even though the R-Bros have strong ties to NY...I'd bet they head to warmer, more friendly climes within 5 years or if/when they get to their next stage of growth.  Fortunately there are still states in the Union where good business and good people are appreciated.

I would like to humbly and formally invite the Bros to my great state of Virginia as an alternate to NY.  Stay south of Richmond and all will be fine...!...TW<<

Offline mshechte

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 09:43:50 AM »
This would effect Kimber as well. I think if things got too sticky to deal with, moving the business to a more friendly area would be the smart thing to do. I know that Michigan is offering incentives for businesses that relocate. Something to think about.
" If Guns kill people...then all of mine are Defective "    Ted Nugent.

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:02:50 PM »
I read a few weeks ago that the Remington plant in Ilion, NY was  sold to a company based in another state.  That plant alone employs over 1,000 and is considered one of the main economic forces in that county.  For now it seems it will keep on producing and continue business as usual, but the sale of the plant has everyone in the area worried that changes are coming and that local economy will fall apart.

Hopefully there are 1,000 voters there in Ilion (and their families) who will make sure they go to the polls and vote in the next election.  Hopefully the whole county will vote.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »
You know, the elected officals in the north east have tried to do everything they can to put the firearms industry out of business. Here's a thought....move to the SW, we have right to work laws.   Tom

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 11:58:02 AM »
I'm with you Tom, I've never understood why the gun companies stay in yankeeland where they are not wanted, yet they there are open arms  in the South and SouthWest.

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »
Well, Remington was sold to a company in NYC. Lets see what happens??  Tom

Offline WoodstockDoug

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:54 PM »
Here's the latest on the Remington story... hope everyone who reads this is sitting down and not eating anything they might choke on ...

Schumer pledges support for Remington
Posted by: "Jacob J. Rieper, Legislative Director" jrieper@nysrpa.org   nyrkba
Wed Jul 4, 2007 6:34 am (PST)
(Yes, it's really Independence Day and not April Fools Day.)

http://www.uticaod.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707030328

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., pledged Monday to do everything in his power to ensure Remington Arms continued operating in Ilion.

Schumer met with residents, business owners and political leaders at the Municipal Building to discuss the county's economic development and listen to concerns from constituents.

"This is my ninth visit to Herkimer County," Schumer said. "I want to know how I can help Herkimer County. If you need certain things, let me know."

Remington Arms, a gun manufacturer, is one of the county's major employers. Since being bought by Cereberus Capital Management, many have wondered about the plant's fate.

Schumer said he would work on behalf of the company and its employees. "When I meet with the hedge funds, I'll lobby for our local companies," he said. "Tell the guys at Remington I'll keep them here. They have a friend in me."

Schumer also pledged to renew the Milk Income Loss Contract Program, which provided payments to eligible dairy farmers when the price of milk fell below a certain point, and expressed his opposition to the proposed New York Regional Interconnect power line project. Ben Gottfried, a farmer in Richfield Springs, and his wife, Kathy Muller, said they were impressed by Schumer.

"It's good to see his attention to local issues," Muller said. "He
was informed on these issues."

"We wanted to hear what he had to say on economic development,"
Gottfried said. "We're farmers, so we certainly think things are going well."

One local business owner questioned if the ideas discussed could become a reality.

"From a meeting like this, to the Senate floor, there is a long way in between the two," said Harrison J. Hummel IV, vice president of technology at Hummel's Office Plus. "I'm not cynical, but I have to be realistic. How much can be accomplished?"