Author Topic: I load & store for extended periods  (Read 4712 times)

Offline XScout

I load & store for extended periods
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:41:56 PM »
What is the longest period of time anyone (first hand knowledge) has kept an r9 loaded six plus one in the chamber and what were the consequeces when you then fired it straight away?

Offline CaptBW

• Master
Re: I load & store for extended periods
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:37 AM »
Keeping it loaded and stored causes less wear than constant use.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »
Loaded all the time for the past 13+ months.  No problems.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:32:25 AM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
My pup has been loaded from the day I picked it up (15mo. ago) and has never had an issue.
   I have a Colt Gold Cup that has been loaded and stored for twenty five years, I shoot it on occasion and have never had an issue. I also have some spare mags that are not kept loaded and some that are, all function without issue.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »
Have a .45 ACP that has been loaded for the past 5+ years and 11 mags fully loaded.  Never a problem.  It gets a workout about every six or so weeks.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »

The best one I heard was a WWII Remington .45 brought home from the war and stored for 60+ years with the same ammo in the mag; fired perfectly.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »
Got to love those 1911s. I'm somewhat of a gun whore, buy em shoot em sell or trade em, and I have bought and sold quite a few, but I think my Gold Cup & pup will be with me to the end.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
John.  I surmise, the Seecamp is not included!    ;D

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:04 PM »
kj,
   I like the Seacamp a lot, and really need to shoot it some more. I like the size and weight, but I'm not a big fan of fussy eaters, and until I know the Seacamps ammo habits, the jury is still out. I am very  happy with the fact my pup will chew up anything I feed it.
 The main reason I dislike a one or two brand of ammo gun, is you never know when supply will dry up or a company will drop your make of ammo or go out of business.
  Right now I am on a different quest, one you are familiar with. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline XScout

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
I was looking for long term loaded storage/ carry for the Rohrbaugh r9 only. I carry a Seecamp .32 right now and for the last three years (after getting comfy on which ammo it liked WST and yes I bought 3 boxes all same lot #) it's been loaded max +1. Never failed. just wonder ing about the r9.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
I think you will find that the mags in most quality automatics today use the same or similar spring stock. I think what the others and myself were trying to convey, is that if it's not a problem with other makes and models it will be the same with the R9.
  There is no issue with the gun it's self, as long as it is clean and lubed, the issue would be with a constantly compressed mag spring, and as noted that has not been an issue for any of the responding posters.
  Richard has owned his R9 longer than most people on here, maybe he can give the specific R9 info you are looking for.

John
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:23:19 PM by yankee2500 »
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline DanR9SF

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:37:55 AM »
There's no difference between a compressed spring and a relaxed spring - except for the overall length.  In either case the spring doesn't change over time in any way.  Compressing and relaxing a spring will, over time move the spring closer to failure because of fatigue due to cycling.  But just keeping it in a compressed or relaxed state changes nothing.

I keep all my magazines fully loaded, in the gun safe, ready to go.  I keep my shotguns fully loaded and ready to go.  I keep the R9 fully loaded and ready to go.  I keep my garage door closed (and that spring is under incredible tension when the door is down).  There's no reason to keep magazines unloaded - at least as far as spring life or wear is concerned.

That's the way I do it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:40:48 AM by DaninVA »
R9S and R9SF - Not For Sale

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »
  Richard has owned his R9 longer than most people on here, maybe he can give the specific R9 info you are looking for.

John

Spring technology has come a long way in my seven decades of life, and Dan's post just above reflects the quality now available from spring manufacturers such as Wolff and ISMI:
http://www.gunsprings.com/
http://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/

An opinionated old armorer with whom I once served and who was more than willing to share his views on just about any subject you cared to discuss used to preach that semi-automatic weapon magazines "should be given a duty schedule of 30 days on, 30 days off." Although that man had forgotten more about firearms than I'll ever know, he was what you might call an obsessive/compulsive type.

Personally, I change out the magazines of my semi-automatic pistols twice each year, when I change the clocks. During that six-month period, all of my semis (except the true "safe queens") are kept secured but loaded. I personally elect, however, to back off one round from loading the mags to full capacity, except during range sessions. For instance, with the R9, I'll load the carry magazine with six rounds, chamber one, but I do not then top off the mag. I carry one spare magazine for the R9, which I load with five rounds -- a total of "lucky eleven" rounds carried for the piece.

I'm not preaching here. That's just my practice which I have followed out of habit with all of my semi-automatics for many years, and old habits die hard.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 08:15:46 PM »
Several of us contacted Marc Cosat of ISMI springs about springs for the R9 because of the characteristics of chrome silicon alloy. There would be no requirement to change springs after 200 or 500 rds. with these springs. A decision was made not to go with ISMI springs in the R9. Of course, there was always a difference of opinion about this alternative but I think they are superior to music wire and I carry ISMI springs in my Glocks and 1911s.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:17:07 PM by tracker »

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
tracker this ISMI spring has got my attention.  What are those opinions you speak of and how do I get one to try out in one of my R9's?
corey