Author Topic: Show off your R9... I'm sure there are other pic threads on here, but...  (Read 52888 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
With a S.N. over the 4000 mark, I believe by that time we were using the Hogue grips shown on this Elite as standard fair. There were not many with those grips sold as we stopped production on the Elite models around that time, if memory serves me correctly. The issue with building a nice Elite was mostly the handwork involved in sanding the side of the slides by hand and how good the engraving was on the slide. It had to be deep and crisp enough so that when it was sanded down, the engravings on both sides still looked crisp to the eye. We did those on a block of granite using progressively finer emery cloth sandpaper with oil on them. Each slide took approximately 10 - 12 minutes to do each side to get the desired look. Along with making the slide unique, we also handpicked all parts which had a nice machined surface finish to the part, such as the trigger, magazine release, ejector and extractor. The frames were also hand picked. We used a bore scope to look inside the mainspring area of the frame and picked the smoothest bore for the Elite series pistols. We also looked the frame over, especially the front nose of the frame, and picked the ones with the nicest lines cut on the frame. This gave them the distinction of having the smoothest of all Rohrbaugh pistols trigger pulls and cosmetic look. Those were truly a product of love.

ecr
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:56:11 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
Thanks for the information.

It really is a stunning look that you achieved in my opinion.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Hi Richard,

I'm stuck at my desk for the next week or so, having just gotten home from my second hip replacement in 2 months.  The stairs to the workshop look entirely to dangerous at this point.  I have been catching up on my forum reading and was very glad to hear that you still like your Elephant grips.  It was a pleasure to make those for you. 

Brian
Designergrips@Gmail.com

Brian:

Your Elephant grips are highly prized and, after much use, still look as good as they did when they left your work bench.

Take care of that recently replaced hip.  One of my cousins and one of my best friends both had that procedure done a few years ago and are both now completely recovered. I wish the same for you.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Thanks for the information.

It really is a stunning look that you achieved in my opinion.

Thank you. It was actually a look we came up with being bored one day and settled in on that look. As many people know, there was no rhyme or reason for the model designs we came out with other than we liked to make "a cool looking carry gun". lol.  Some people criticized us for that but Karl and I would say behind the scenes: "Oh go push off will ya."   lol. We did not care what someone thought about the models we came up with, we liked them and built them. . . . and gee, guess what. . . we sold every single gun we ever produced. Each one has it's own little story to it. I know, I built most of them.   ;D
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Eric:

You and Karl not only made "a cool looking carry gun" but also the coolest, best looking, and lightest 9mm pistol yet produced. If that's not a legacy of which to be proud I don't know what might be.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Eric:

You and Karl not only made "a cool looking carry gun" but also the coolest, best looking, and lightest 9mm pistol yet produced. If that's not a legacy of which to be proud I don't know what might be.

Knowing you and Kathy for one Richard.   ;)

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
With a S.N. over the 4000 mark, I believe by that time we were using the Hogue grips shown on this Elite as standard fair. There were not many with those grips sold as we stopped production on the Elite models around that time, if memory serves me correctly. The issue with building a nice Elite was mostly the handwork involved in sanding the side of the slides by hand and how good the engraving was on the slide. It had to be deep and crisp enough so that when it was sanded down, the engravings on both sides still looked crisp to the eye. We did those on a block of granite using progressively finer emery cloth sandpaper with oil on them. Each slide took approximately 10 - 12 minutes to do each side to get the desired look. Along with making the slide unique, we also handpicked all parts which had a nice machined surface finish to the part, such as the trigger, magazine release, ejector and extractor. The frames were also hand picked. We used a bore scope to look inside the mainspring area of the frame and picked the smoothest bore for the Elite series pistols. We also looked the frame over, especially the front nose of the frame, and picked the ones with the nicest lines cut on the frame. This gave them the distinction of having the smoothest of all Rohrbaugh pistols trigger pulls and cosmetic look. Those were truly a product of love.

ecr

Very interesting info, Eric!
Ted

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
I try Ted.   8)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Nice work you do Brian.

In ref. to Sarasota, Fl. and Texas. . . . . We'll see. . . . As time goes on, we may have to make a Rohrbaugh Tour Map for next year and put your names on it. . . . . If a few of you are close together, we can make an outing for those together in a common area. This has great potential folks!

ERIC, if you are heading for Florida and come down the east coast, feel free to stop in Amelia Island for a meal and a few libations of choice.  Most of the time we are in the house and the ocean front condo would be available for a visit (renovations to the building scheduled by the board (me) would make it a noisy stay this winter/spring, but thereafter I believe you would have a great time.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Why thank you very much John. I had better start writing these stops down!  lol.  Very gracious of you. . . . . . and be it known, should I stop by I would insist on going over any R9 that you have and give it a good lookover for you.   ;)

Enjoy your evening! . . . . . . . .  ecr

Offline pjames32

My new to me R9
Paul James

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
My new to me R9
Paul James

Nice R9 pjames.

How are you carrying it?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline pjames32

My new to me R9
Paul James

Nice R9 pjames.

How are you carrying it?

Desantis pocket holster I had for my LCP. Is there a better option?
PJames

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
That's not bad.

You can get as fancy as you want to, but a lot of guys like the desantis.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Wow Paul! . . . . . . .That is one really nice Original Stock R9 you picked up!  OMG!  And it has the last rendition of our slide too, which is indicated by the dots in between the USA as in:  U.S.A. ~ That has all of the upgrades we wanted to do to make "things" perfect.  Good for you and enjoy it and carry it!

Regards,

Eric R.