Author Topic: Show off your R9... I'm sure there are other pic threads on here, but...  (Read 52886 times)

Offline pjames32

Eric
63XX serial number.
Took it apart today. Minimal wear. Minimal oil.
Reassembled and oiled lightly per instructions.
Hope to get back to the range soon :)

Paul James

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Nice ~ That is near the end of production Paul. Probably around early to mid 2013. Did it come with the warranty card? Either I or Donato date stamped and signed the back of the cards so when they came in we know who packed and who went over them prior to shipping out to the FFLs. The barrels in the those last models were made by StormLake Barrels in Tennessee. Remington purchased them also, just prior to purchasing our company January 14, 2014. 

Eric R.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:54:27 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline pjames32

Eric
No warranty card! Everything else appears to be included.
Guess I need to change the outer recoil spring before I start carrying it.
I have not checked the forum for sources and a list, but know I need to get a few springs and maybe some other parts in stock so I can keep this gun reliable.
Suggestions of the parts I need?
Thanks for your input Eric!
Paul James

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Just give it a cleaning if it needs it Paul. Basically, wipe down the slide rails both on the frame and the channel on the slide. I use a hypodermic needle to get in those areas with some oil and also oil the barrel cam area where the barrel pin goes through the frame. Install a fresh outer recoil spring. Make sure the grip screws are snug that's about it. Simple really Paul. Contact these folks and they can set you up with the outer recoil springs.

Williams Gun Sight, Inc.
PO Box 329
Davison, Michigan  48423

1-810-653-2131
   or
1-800-530-9028

They are about five bucks or so each.  Grab two or three and you should be good for some time to come.    ;)

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline pjames32

Eric
THX.
I did clean and oil per instructions and the grip screws were loose.
Paul

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Yeah, make sure those grips screws are tightened Paul. The Achilles' Heal of the R9. . . . . They hold the trigger sear bar in place.  ;)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Yeah, make sure those grips screws are tightened Paul. The Achilles' Heal of the R9. . . . . They hold the trigger sear bar in place.  ;)

I feel good about tightening after test firing and cleaning. Ever had a problem with them loosening when just being carried and not fired Eric? In other words is it necessary to occasionally tighten after only pocket carry and not firing?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
I have carried my same personal R9 for over five years without so much as just checking it to make sure it was loaded. Decided to go over it one day ~ Everything was perfect! Grip screws were still tight and all functioned as it should. Love it!  Now, perhaps, those skeptics may finally understand the philosophy:  "Carry a lot, shoot a little".  Yep, never let me down after five years of carrying.   ;)     . . . . . . just sayin' . . . . . . ecr

Offline pjames32

Eric
Do you recommend locktite on the grip screws?
Paul James

Offline johnny

• Master
    I carry mine almost daily. Screws have always stayed tight.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Thanks. The whole 5 year carried almost daily and never fired and then a perfect record upon a range session is pretty impressive.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re Loctite, I use it for door knob screws but for grip screws I prefer O-rings.

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/index.php?topic=6045.msg72956#msg72956
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Hello guys. May I say something here about the O-ring thing:  They seem to work well with those new VZ grips Richard is showing here on his venerable #132 R9. I have never seen them used on the original grips which used the countersunk flat head screws. That spacing is so tight with those. Has anyone here used the O-ring with the original style grips and screws to any success. I would be interested to know that. I have used Loctite for my screws, especially now knowing how to remove them without issue with the soldering gun heating up the Loctite and then the screws come out as if there is no Loctite on them at all! 

. . . . Just my 2 cents on the screwy thing here.

PS:  Nice grips BTW Richard. I always liked VZ grips for the R9. 

Offline pjames32

I've found locktite pretty easy to remove with a hair drier.
Paul

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
I'm sure you are correct, Eric; the O-rings evolved with after market screws and/or VZ grips.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:29:24 PM by tracker »