Author Topic: tracker, is your head above water?  (Read 6204 times)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
tracker, is your head above water?
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
tracker

How is the weather where you live?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: tracker, is your head above water?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »

Thanks for asking, Bob. It is beautiful here today but after 10-11 inches that fell last night there is a lot of street flooding. My neighborhood streets are well drained and we stayed dry with no loss of power. Much of Houston is still under water with flooded streets, freeways, and many vehicles under water and a few casualties.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
That's good to hear tracker.

I saw on the National news this morning the clips on all the flooding and wondered how you faired.

What's the weather forecast hold for your area?  It seems that the storms keep tracking the same path day after day.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 12:24:36 PM »
You're right. The recent turn in events with El Nino strengthening causes warmer ocean surface waters in the Equatorial East Pacific which is altering the weather pattern and creates more rain in Texas. The La Nina pattern which existed the last several years created the historical drought conditions. Now, we have an Atmospheric River that is being propelled by a southward dip in the jet stream that combines with humid gulf moisture and fires it like a slingshot across Texas. Also, when the afternoon temperatures heat up it intensifies the convective activity. The long, narrow front we had yesterday was shaped like a bow and was fast moving until the bottom of the bow flattened out, stalled across Houston, and rained all night.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:24:28 PM »
Tracker I am in Houston also.   Good here but dang work sucked last night. 

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
It was definitely a bad night with 7-12 inches in about 6 or 7 hours. Thousands were stranded one way or the other. Over 4000 homes had water damage which qualified Harris County for disaster relief. Wimberley was quite another matter with 14 dead and others still missing from a 43 ft. surge along the Blanco River, which runs through a small canyon with many homes at the water's level or close to it. Somebody messed with Texas.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:47:26 PM by tracker »

Offline T-Man

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:44:32 AM »
I'm in Brenham. We didn't get as much flooding here in Washington Co that you guys in Houston got, but all bodies of water are high and overflowing, and everything else is a swampy, muddy mess.

I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever stop raining!
Ted

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 06:38:36 PM »
I'm in Brenham. We didn't get as much flooding here in Washington Co that you guys in Houston got, but all bodies of water are high and overflowing, and everything else is a swampy, muddy mess.

I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever stop raining!
Yes will it ever stoping raining? Glad all is ok

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
Let's see, is it 40 cubits by 80 cubits, or ?, and do we really have to include a pair of mosquitos on board?

Glad you Texas guys are OK.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
tracker  -  I see Houston's in the line of that storm coming in.

Good luck as I see that NOAA is predicting 5" to 10" over the next couple of days.  Rainfall of up to 5" clear north to St Louis with this one.

We are in to our 5th day in a row of rain and everything is soaked here in Iowa now.  Nothing like what you have seen though.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
Will the rain ever stop? This SUCKS...

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »
Storm Tracker might be a more appropriate handle. Tropical Storm Bill seems to have spared the greater Houston area for the most part. The eye made landfall in the Matagorda Island area north of Corpus Christi. Although there are large rain bands on the east side of the system there has been no widespread flooding like that on Memorial Day. The storm appears to be tracking north up I-35 toward Austin and Dallas.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 02:57:53 PM by tracker »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »

Still above water from Bill The Beast Tropical Storm; one more night of heavy rain.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »

Still above water from Bill The Beast Tropical Storm; one more night of heavy rain.

That's good news tracker.  I watched the National weather tonight and it showed "the tail of the comma-shaped storm" training right over Houston.

It's not supposed to get up this far but St. Louis could get 5" to 8".  It is amazing how much water can be carried that far in the atmosphere.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
It is amazing, Bob, but this system is about 200 miles wide and 400 miles long and just keeps on feeding with the heat and moisture. Dallas may feel this storm much worse than Houston.