Author Topic: New (to me) Colt WWII Commemorative  (Read 3662 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
New (to me) Colt WWII Commemorative
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:00:56 AM »
I was a the Tulsa Arms Show and ran across this Colt.  This firearm was issued from the American Historical Foundation.  Mine is number 4 of 250.  This particular gun commemorates the invasion of Italy.  There were 12 different campaigns in WWII that the American Historical Foundation commissioned colt to manufacturer pistols for.  The other one I will have my eye out for is the Battle Of The Bulge (in case you guys and gals might know where I can find one at).  I traded a Springfield XD9C along with money to a private collector for this gun and I'm truly happy I was able to get it.  It took about 45 minutes of haggling with the man but I got it done!  He also had an Operation Iraqi Freedom commemorative Colt but wanted $2500 for it, which is about $1000 too high in my book.  He had it priced up with this firearm and it isn't even close in provenance and value as this weapon (yet).  Let me know what you guys think.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:28:16 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New (to me) Colt WWII Commemorative
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Very nice, thor; and #4.............  Excellent!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:20 AM »
Thanks!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:43:25 AM »
Great find, gotta love those Colt 1911s.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Thor:

That is a splendid Commemorative 1911 honoring the WWII invasion of Italy.

One day in 1983 I was in my physician's private office going over the results of my annual physical when he was called from the room. Looking around at the walls of his office I noticed an inconspicuously framed certificate hanging on the wall and bearing the seal of the U. S. Army. Curious, I got up and went over to read the text of the certificate. It was the citation for award of the Silver Star for Valor, earned while manning a field surgical unit under enemy fire on the Anzio beachhead in February 1944.

Suddenly, I looked upon my physician with new and profound respect.

Thank you for posting the photograph of your Commemorative 1911.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:33:02 AM »
Wow Richard.  I'll bet that man had some stories to tell.   He deserves our respect.  Thanks for sharing with us!
- George Washington