Author Topic: Best deal I've ever got!  (Read 2134 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Best deal I've ever got!
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
At the Claude Hall gun show in OKC today, walked the whole show, and a gentleman towards the back of the floor has a few nice guns I was interested in.   

He had a really nice 2.5" Colt Diamondback in .38 Special he was asking 800 for.  Now, this gun is in fantastic shape, base book value in present condition is between 950-1250.  Then, add 50% for 2.5" in .38SPL, making this gun between 1400-1875.  I don't think that he really did his research on it, he wasn't really knowledgeable about any of the firearms he had for sale, he didn't even have the blue book with him.  Every once in awhile you find one of these guys at the shows, but most of the time they don't have good firearms for sale.  Sometimes walking around the edges of the shows you'll find the best deals, or the biggest suckers!!!

The second gun he had was a nickel Detective Special, base value at around 800, then add 20% for nickel finish, putting this firearm around the 950-960 range.  He had it tagged for $500.   The grips are perhaps not original, but may also be a Colt special order.  I remember seeing these same grips on a special ordered Python years ago that a collector friend of mine had.  He had the original invoice showing the exact custom order.   I'm thinking this gun might be a custom order, but I will have to get a Colt letter to know for sure.  Either way, if they are aftermarket grips, the gun itself is well worth it, and the grips look beautiful.   

So, his total was 1300 for both guns, and after negotiation, we agreed upon $1075 for both before taxes.  I have included a copy of the receipt to put the doubters to rest!!!

- I had a few offers on the Diamondback and 1 offer on the Detective Special before I left the building!!  Both would have made me a decent profit on either gun.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Best deal I've ever got!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »

No doubters here; times are tough.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
Indeed they are Tracker.  I think that if the seller had done his homework on what he was selling, the prices would have surely been higher.  I think it is a mixture of tough times and a lot of luck on my part today.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
Most importantly, you had a great sense of the relative values and the funds to act on it; well done.

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:30:33 PM by tracker »