Author Topic: Hopefully making a pretty good trade tomorrow  (Read 3483 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
Hopefully making a pretty good trade tomorrow
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:29:46 AM »
I have always loved the old Winchester rifles.  I have had my eye on a Uberti Winchester 1873 at a OKC gun shop for some time now.  I really want one as a shooter and will not pay the high prices for an original just to use as a range gun.  I have a friend who has a couple of original Winchesters in fantastic condition (his gun budget dwarfs mine), including 2 1885's, a 1895 Take-down, 1873 (which I will own one day), and a 1886.  No 1 of 100's, I have checked!  Since these Uberti's are great shooters, I wanted one for some time, they still command a pretty good amount of money however. 

There is a very nice man in OKC who I met through a mutual friend who has a 100% NIB Uberti Winchester 1873 Special Sporting 20".  The rifle has the full octagon barrel, case color hardened frame, grade A walnut stock, just gorgeous.  It is still in the box and comes with all the proper paperwork (some not really necessary as this isn't a collector firearm, but something I look for in every gun purchase).  It is chambered in .357, which I would prefer if I had a choice.  The rounds are still less expensive the the .45 Long Colt and .44/40 which are the other two option available on the rifle. 

He had mentioned is recent desire for a more tactical firearm so I sprang into action.  I offered him my gently used and impeccably maintained Ruger SR556, which I have put 700 rounds through.  I have been thinking about putting this rifle up for sale for some time because as anyone here with an AR of any type knows, if you not reloading, the ammo sure can drain your wallet.  The firearm is in fantastic shape, however the ACOG I have mounted on it will not be included in the trade.  He called me back later this evening after what I'm assuming was him researching the SR556.   I explained to him again the benefits of the gas piston upper system.  I explained how it allowed the firearm to operate cleaner and cooler, and even quoted him some online prices of building his own GPU rifle to prove that he was getting a value for his firearm.   After a very lengthy but nice conversation he accepted the trade upon verification that my rifle is in the condition that I told him it was in.  I really don't expect any problems tomorrow as I was totally honest with the man and hopefully I'll get to bring my new 1873 home tomorrow.

I'll post pictures tomorrow once (if) I receive the rifle.

on a side note, I have decided that after years and years of neglect, my little Ruger 10/22 will be receiving a major facelift and I plan on building a competition target rifle.  I have a shooting buddy who built one last year and is a dream to shoot.  While cleaning some firearms 2 days ago, I pulled mine out and decided it was time for a change.  I'll have my vet costs paid any day now after the wonderful contributions made by this forum, and I receive payment on the sale of my 4" and 8" Pythons.  I will start on the 10/22 build.  I just have to decide if I want to keep the original receiver or change it up.   I have already built the gun on paper using the original receiver, but something new might be neat.  However, if I go with my current 'paper' build, the receiver will be nearly the only original thing on the rifle!  I did a free upgrade on the rifle today and reshaped the bolt release so I don't have to fiddle with the stock bolt release lever.  I should have done that one years ago!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:36:43 AM by thor447 »
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Hopefully making a pretty good trade tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:44:40 AM »
Adam

Good luck in the trade. I would like to see some pictures.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
Way to go Adam.  Sounds nice.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »
Well I got the rifle.  I'll upload some pictures tomorrow.  It's a little after 9pm here, I just got home and I still have a mountain of paperwork I need to get completed and sent in (day job stuff).  I'll put up some pictures tomorrow for you all to see, but she sure is pretty.

-Adam
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
Adam, Well done, looking forward to the pics.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:21 AM »
Sorry it took me so long to post these pictures up.  It was a typical, never-ending Friday and I only got home about 1 hour ago.  At least I have the weekend to play with the new rifle.  Here are the pictures as promised:

^^^This^^^ is way more my style rather than this:

-Adam
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:27:00 AM by thor447 »
- George Washington

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
There's nothing quite like grade A walnut paired with case-hardened steel and a lever action. And the .357 Magnum out of a 20" barrel makes for an excellent brush gun. As we used to say in Oklahoma and they also say here in Tennessee, "You did yourself proud."
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »
Thanks for the photos, there, Adam.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:06:13 AM »
Adam,

Nice trade! The tactical stuff is nice for its purpose, but there is nothing like the look of a classic weapon.

:-) Robar233

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
Excellent looking rifle.
Congratulations!

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
Adam, good job on getting that lever gun, very nice looking. Now all you need is a saddle and a horse. ;)  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »
Tom, plenty of horses and saddles around these parts.  I need to get some chaps and spurs however.

- George Washington