Author Topic: My new Ed Brown Kobra Carry  (Read 9579 times)

Offline thor447

• Master
My new Ed Brown Kobra Carry
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
After much deliberation about which custom 1911 to get, I've decided on the Ed Brown Kobra Carry.   Since I dropped a very good chunk of dough at the Tulsa Arms Show, I did not have the discretionary funds available to get my beloved 1911.  I made a trade with a friend of mine today who manages a firearms store in Mustang, OK.  He had a pristine NIB Ed Brown Kobra Carry he got in a week or two ago from the manufacturer.  Being the antique gun nut he is (like myself) I made a deal with him.   I traded him my Colt Lightning that I recently got at the show, and I in turn I received this new Ed Brown and some cash.  I feel it was a fair trade on both ends.   The gun had a sticker price of $2789.   The rifle is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $4250-$4750.  He took a little off the price of the 1911, and I went on the low side of the estimated value and a compromise was reached.  I'm super excited to have my first custom 1911. 

I'll be sending it to my gunsmith to have the barrel crowned, changing the grips to a gorgeous set of Desert Ironwood grips I found for the bobtail and getting a million holsters made for it!  Already got my rig set up for some leather lined holsters I've got planned for this guy.  I've been experimenting with different techniques to attach the leather to the kydex.  I've got very good results so far, but I'm testing my samples for durability right now.   I found a few holster companies that line kydex with leather and the techniques used to attach the materials securely seem to be a trade secret.  I think the problem lies in adhesive setting time vs the molding time.   One solution that I've found that is working absolutely excellent so far is a UV light activated adhesive.  Mostly used in clean environments, medical equipment, etc.. and not really any more expensive than other adhesives such as gorilla glue, I can apply it and work my leather into the mold.  Once it is set where I want it and shaped, I can apply a UV light and cure the adhesive.  Holds incredibly strong and has unlimited working time until you are ready to set it, I think I've figured out their secret for at least found my own way.  (sorry, off topic!)

-Adam

And yes, those are Wilson magazines next to it!  Hard to beat the old 47D magazine! 
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: My new Ed Brown Kobra Carry
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
i'm sure you will be quite pleased.

Nice choice!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »
It appears that your plan is coming together. That will be "one righteous rig." Please post photos of those Desert Ironwood grips when they are installed.

And I agree with you entirely on the Wilson 47D magazines.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
I sure will Richard.  They have been ordered, just waiting on shipment now.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 12:48:22 AM »
Very nice looking EB, Congrats.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »
I appreciate the kind words.   I had a few hours tonight of free time so I got started on a holster for the Ed Brown.  With all the work I've put in to leather lining Kydex, one would assume that I'd start with that.  However, when I pulled the leather out, I decided I'd give my first all leather holster a shot.   Attached is a pic of it while waiting of the the dye to dry.  It will be molded tomorrow.  Hindsight is 20/20 and there are a few things I'd have done differently now that I've gone mostly through my first, but I'm proud of what I have got so far.  I think it will turn out just fine after the wet molding tomorrow.   -and it's only backwards if your right handed

-Adam
- George Washington

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 08:31:12 AM »
You, my friend, are obviously a man of many skill sets. That is a good looking piece of work in progress. What stitching machine do you use for your leather work.

With regard to kydex, I purchased an unlined kydex holster for my R9 back in 2004 but  have literally never even inserted the pistol into it. I just can't seem bring myself to use an unlined kydex holster for any handgun other than, perhaps, a Glock.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »
Thanks Richard.  The holster is hand stitched with a thick wax thread.  The sales woman at Tandy Leather told me that regular thread has a chemical sealer on it, and that over time that sealer will eventually bleed into the leather and discolor it since dyes now are water based.  Good info to know!
- George Washington

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 04:06:49 AM »
Just wanted to throw up a picture of the holster - post molding.   Turned out pretty well.  Decent definition even through the thick 9oz leather.

-Adam
- George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »

That is a beautiful, hand-crafted holster.

Offline thor447

• Master
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
I appreciate the kind words Tracker, thank you.

The desert ironwood grips came in today.   Feast your eyes!!

-Adam
- George Washington

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »

A pair of aces in the hole makes a great draw.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
Now it's ready for battle or bar-b-que.  8)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »
That's quite a holster - I will talk to my neighbor, who has a custom plastic fabrication shop, if he knows of any adhesives which would bond leather and kydex. 

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »
Nice kit Thor...great work on the holster too!  I shoot an Ed Brown Special Forces 5" .45 and think that it is an incredible pistol...I wish my meager talent was up to the standard of the weapon.  Congrats on a fine acquisition.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis