Author Topic: Colt Pocketnine  (Read 10901 times)

Offline geminidan

• Expert
Colt Pocketnine
« on: August 16, 2005, 08:06:56 PM »
I own a R9, and have been also looking at a Colt Pocketnine, at a great price almost NIB!! anybody have any feedback on these Colts??? Were they reliable or are they just clunkers??? They are light but I need some feedback please!! Tx Dan
GeminiDan

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
Re: Colt Pocketnine
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 08:24:03 PM »
I have two and if R9's didn't exist the Colt Pocket nine would be my carry gun. The worst thing about them is the very heavy trigger pull, but with practice you can get used to it. I have found them to be great shooters, accurate and dependable. In todays market anything under $700, from what I've seen, is a decent deal. They are no longer made and in the future getting parts could be hard. Get plenty of mags as they are due to get scarce as well. :-/ 8) :D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 11:33:32 AM »
I can buy one in very good cond, with one mag for around $ $575.00, also there is a Gunsmith in Florida, who takes off the beavertail and does some action work,  springs, guiderod, etc...........hopefully making the trigger pull lighter, I have big hands is it much smaller then the "R9"???  Also will "magsafe" be ok in the gun,,,,,my R9 feeds it flawlessly......Thanks for your help. Dan
GeminiDan

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:49:59 AM »
A little help,  with the beaver tail cut flush with the slide, the P9 will be 5/8'' shorter than the R9..
The grip length is the same, but thicker both ways, across and front to back
No pictures.    
RJ=

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 11:54:58 AM »
RJ..............thanks for your help, I know the R9 is a little narrower then the P9, just was concerned on how reliable they were.......P.S. RJ sent you an email, what is your time frame on a new holster?? tx.Dan
GeminiDan

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocketnine
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 03:43:45 PM »
>>I'm interested in learning more about the Colt Pocketnine, and would really like to see some decent pics of one.  Does anyone around here have info/pics to share...??...Newt...?  Thanks, guys...!...TW<<

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »
Go to gunsamerica.com....colt autos, and then scroll down till you spot them..........s/b some good pics on there.Dan
GeminiDan

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 04:28:54 PM »
I can't do pics. TW but if you ever get down Ocean City way I'll be glad to let you shoot one. :D
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocketnine
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 05:09:11 PM »
>>Thanks for the suggestion re-pics, Geminidan...!...

What a NEAT looking gun...!  Just yesterday I picked up a Colt Mustang...and already I have a new need in my life...?...!  Is there something wrong with me...?  More importantly - can anyone HELP me with this new need...?...lol  Newt...you don't REALLY need two Pocket Nines, do you...?...TW<<

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 06:12:50 PM »
The way to go if you are buying small colts, is the pony pocketlite in 380, and a pocketnine............in between carrying the R9...........There is a gunsmith in South Florida who tricks out the P9's....Me I am looking for a 380 pocketlite.....besides my R9.....anybody with any ideas??? Dan
GeminiDan

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocketnine
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 07:07:05 PM »
The way to go if you are buying small colts, is the pony pocketlite in 380, and a pocketnine............in between carrying the R9...........There is a gunsmith in South Florida who tricks out the P9's....Me I am looking for a 380 pocketlite.....besides my R9.....anybody with any ideas??? Dan

>>Geminidan...

Might you be interested in a great Colt Mustang...tricked out and with ten magazines, extra springs, couple sets of extra grips, and a cool Shark skin pocket holster...?...in swap towards that 'ol Pocket9 you were thinking about...?  It may not be a Pony...but in my opinion a .380 just does not get much better than this Mustang...see...?...TW<<

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 10:56:18 PM »
I have all the little Colt's, Mustang, Mustang Pocketlite, Pony pocketlite, Mustang Plus Two, Colt Defender, and Pocket Nine. Of these the Pocket Nine is my favorite and the best shooter, plus its 9mm.

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:20 PM »
I might have bought a pony pocketlite today in 380, always wanted this gun, and a friend told me about one today unfired for $450.00..I was always told this gun was great and I know a lot of ex L.E. like me who love to carry this gun in South Florida.......If I do not buy the pocket nine I will give you the sellers info............wonder if RJ....can make me a pocket holster for the "PONY".or if you want to sell your sharkskin holster lket me know if it would fit......probably be better off with a new Hedley..........PS. some feedback on the "Pony"would be appreciated, Just ordered s/s guiderod, and wolf springs for the mags and gun??? Tx.Dan
GeminiDan

Offline geminidan

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 11:08:09 PM »
TW>>>>>>>>>>>is the mustang a pocketlite?? or s/s, or blue........and this would not be an even swap but a partial trade...Dan
GeminiDan

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Colt Pocketnine
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 04:29:49 AM »
>>G-Dan --

My Mustang is SS with a special Nickel Teflon finish by RSR Wholesale.  Internally the stamped out sear was swapped out for one of tool grade steel, and the factory guide rod was replaced with a full length steel version.  All the springs were replaced with Wolffs and some work was done on the trigger as well.  

I purchased the gun from the original owner who is a Police Officer.  Seems it has served as his BUG over the last six or seven years...was carried a lot, shot very little = has 200-300 rounds through it.  Besides ball ammo it apparently likes Silvertips...yum, yum.  As mentioned before there are a bunch or extras including TEN mags...five are factory and some brand new...!  Box and all original papers came with the gun.

I really wasn't looking to get rid of the Mustang...but for a nice Pocket 9 - I would give serious considerations.  I have $525 (plus $62 for FFL this end = hurt me) into this gun, including the extras... which could easily double that value on the open market.

Geminidan...can you get any pics of the Pocket9 you are looking at...?  Might you be serious about a possible trade on my Mustang...?  Thoughts, please...?

Below is the pic of my Mustang and the extra grips which the former owner used in his ad...TW<<