Author Topic: My apologizes to Kel-Tec owners ...  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Fud

• Master
My apologizes to Kel-Tec owners ...
« on: September 02, 2005, 08:16:14 AM »
... but the P3AT is a piece of junk! I purchased a NIB Kel-Tec P3AT several weeks ago for the purpose of having a small, light weight gun that I could carry around the house and on my property. Took it to the range and had major feeding problems. Went back a few weeks later with several different brands of ammo including FMJ but the problem did not go away -- the gun will not feed ammo out of the magazine by itself ... the slide locks back but nothing goes in the chamber. I have to jiggle the slide back & forth and a little from side to side before the round goes in. This happens after EVERY SINGLE ROUND FIRED.

Trying to give the gun the benefit of the doubt, I purchased a new factory mag and went out to the range yesterday with half a dozen different brands of bullets including FMJ and the same thing happened with both mags and several different brands of ammo.

Can anything be done to make this gun 100% reliable or should I just cut my loses and get rid of it?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
Re: My apologizes to Kel-Tec owners ...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »
You may feel that you shouldn't have to do this, but to maybe help, or fix the problem, I would polish the feed ramp.  
RJ=

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 11:07:33 AM »
Check ktog.org and see what fans think. The advice you'll get there will probably be to send the 3AT back to the factory for tuning. My own experience has been very positive and I think most of their products leave the factory without any problems, but when problem occour the factory fixes them completely. While it's back at the factory, you might have them replace the slide with the hard chrome version and get the grey grips installed. It's a sweet-looking combination.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 11:38:57 AM »
Fud,

You definitley need to send it back. KT's customer service is pretty good in my experience.  I think they will get it working for you.  I had a very early P-3AT and it always worked great.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 05:59:49 PM »
A feedramp polish job -- something you can do yourself -- will most likely solve your problem.

A great place for information on all KT firearms is www.ktrange.com  I know that some of KTs gunsmiths post there and will be willing to help you out.

I have every model made by KT.  Although some have required a little TLC (also known on the KT boards as F&B), all now currently run flawlessly.

As a last resort, sending the gun to Cocoa for factory attention is an option.  Their warranty and customer service is excellent.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 07:35:02 PM »
It is very common and routine to send them back to the factory.
Then, it should be just fine.

Some posters have indicated that Kel-Tec would now prefer that you not do the Fluff & Buff.  I've seen that mentioned sometimes.

I was one of the lucky few who had no problems with the P3AT.

I would still have it, except the R9S appeared with greater power in a small size.

Bill

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:30:11 PM »
Send the gun back to Kel-Tec and let them fix it for you.

DO NOT fluff & buff the gun.  I have been told by a Kel-Tec gunsmith that they see MANY guns that left the factory just fine, but were ruined when someone removed too much material doing this unnecessary and ill-advised procedure.

I understand that Kel-Tec is being less forgiving than in the past of owners who mess up their guns by doing things that they shouldn't when they make warranty decisions.  So, don't jeopardize your warranty.

I really like my David Clay customized P-32 but have heard mixed reviews of the P3AT.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.