Author Topic: Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ...  (Read 12945 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ...
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »
Truly, amazing!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 10:57:37 PM »
Richard,
    That is a real ugly duckling story, although it wasn't ugly before it is certainly beautiful now.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
llRe: Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa ...
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 11:30:31 PM »
Sorry: it's been a while since I've posted: family health problems, work stuff, etc.

STI International, Inc.
As I understand it, Dave Skinner -- the currenly listed President and CEO of STI, has or will shortly be retiring.
I'm also told that this should have little or no effect  on the quality of their products, the direction of the Company or any such things.

RE: People meeting/talking to Virgil Tripp and others.
I really don't care in the least about Hollywood or other celebrities, the Kardashians (whoever they are or why we are allegedly supposed to 'keep up with them'), but I have to admit to the sin of envy when hearing of the conversations people have had with individuals like Mr. Tripp. For me, this would be equivalent to accidentally encountering a Nobel Prize winner in physics at the Baskin-Robbins store, and just chatting for a while...

PS: have had the new ATI/APW pistol out to the range to sight it in, after prelimary sighting by using a laser boresight.
Short review: this gun is much, much better than I am, and perhaps might hope to be. Read reviews by people who know a lot more than I do -- I can only report personal experience.
It's perhaps as tight, well-designed and finely-machined as my Rohrbaugh, and just as much sheer pleasure to shoot. The .45 recoil using MagTech 230gr FMJ rounds is easy, even for an old guy with not such great upper-arm strength and old, broken finger bones on the strong hand.
Accuracy? Seeming limited by the shooter. With a sandbag rest at 25 feet, I can do 1-inch groups easily -- surely can be bettered better if done by better shooters, and using match-grade ammunition.
VOW: I will NEVER sell this gun
RECOMMENDATION: buy anything you fancy made by STI, but have Bob Cogan 'finish' it -- not just cosmetically, but everything else also.

Thus endeth the opinions.
 -- Bill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »

Thanks, Bill, and welcome back.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »
Bill, thanks for the update!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:19 PM »
Richard - I never get tired of seeing that P7!

What a gem.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
Reinz.  You must have one?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »
whkrog-got to agree with ya on buying STI !

Thanks for the heads up on the new gun too.

I haven't experienced Coogan's work yet, but have only heard praises.

Reinz

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
Reinz.  You must have one?

I have a P7 M8  that has been Robar'd - NP3
and
a semi-rare factory nickle P7 M13
But

I don't have the fancy/classy grips like Richard.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
I have to agree, Cogan's work is good.  Maybe we could talk him into coating the insides.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Why wouldn't he do insides?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
I called him some months ago, and they don't do the internals!

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
Richard: what type/model firearm is that pictured? It's absolutely beautiful...

--Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 03:10:19 PM »
Richard: what type/model firearm is that pictured? It's absolutely beautiful...

--Bill

Bill:

It's a Heckler & Koch P7 (9mm Parabellum) which was retired about three years ago by the Lower Saxony State Police in Germany. This one had apparently seen little if any use. Virgil Tripp evened out the stippling, ground off a curious warning about the need to read the user's manual that was stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard, and plated the pistol and six magazines in Cobra Chrome.

The walnut Rhomlas grips in the photograph above are by Karl Nill.

http://www.nill-shop.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=P7&search_in_description=1&x=32&y=15

The Nills are relatively fragile and are primarily for show. In addition to the original panels, I have a pair of Micarta grips from Pete Foldyna for daily use.

http://www.grips4u.net/index.php?cPath=43&osCsid=fa299865ac939b1e01474a7234200390

For holsters, I managed to score one of Matt DelFatti's ISP-4s and an adjustable K&D Paddle Defender for cross-draw use during long automobile trips. Since both pistols seem to like 124-grain ammunition, the P7 has become a frequent primary to the R9 which is always in my pocket.

And Reinz is kind. I've probably posted enough photos of that P7 and its various rigs.

Finally, as Reinz noted, Virgil Tripp was recently named 2010 Pistolsmith of the Year by the American Pistolsmiths Guild -- a singular and well-deserved honor:

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/index.html

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:26:01 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
Richard - if you happen to have a pic of your P7 with the Micarda grips would you mind sharing?
I sure would like to see how those look on the gun.

I don't recall seeing them.

If you don't have a pic, please do not go the trouble of setting up and taking one.

Thanks