Author Topic: R-9 might be wonderful, but it aint a rifle  (Read 12822 times)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Re: R-9 might be wonderful, but it aint a rifle
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 12:34:06 AM »
Hi Wilco:

I have 3 Seecamps, and long ago became use to that style of mag release.

Pocket guns have a very important and limited function. I don't expect to reload my pocket guns, whether they be the Seecamp, NAA Guardian, Kel Tec, or Rohrbough.

I do expect to reload my Glock 36 or Glock 19.

A gun is a tool.

wilco

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 07:17:44 PM »
better rethink THAT, bud. In nearly 40 years of study, I've never heard of a case where a civilian had to HIT more than 2 attackers, and only very, very rarely does a cop or soldier have to.  If you need 15 rds to hit 2 men, you need to work on your shooting, not on your mag changes.

20 ft is a long, LONG shot in combat with a pistol 30 ft is about extreme long range. About half if the time you will fire at arm's length, and 90% of the time, you will fire at  10 ft or less (or go to prison or be sued out of every dime you ever make). The reason for this truth is that most attacks are NOT made with a gun, and it's hard to establish why you HAD to shoot a non-gun guy beyond 10 ft. Over half of the gun attacks occur at 10 ft and less, according to the FBI'S UCR. According to the DOJ'S annual Crime survey,  70% of all attacks are not made with a gun. So there you are, 85+% of all attacks mean firing at  10 ft or less. 15 rds is a LOT of missing at such ranges. With decent loads, and decent shooting, 3-4 hits per man should be plenty(or you are going to be very lucky to survive it. ) Getting off  15 CONTROLED shots takes 4 seconds, even if you don't have to add the draw-time.  That's a long, long time to be exposed to enemy fire. If you have cover, you probably dont have to (and shouldn't) fire at all, but only "peek", and move as need be to maintain cover.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 07:23:26 PM by wilco »

wilco

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 07:27:14 PM »
it takes only 2 seconds to charge 20 ft, from a standing start. So what makes you think that you are going to have the TIME needed to fire 15 rds, much less reload and miss some more

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 09:23:28 AM »
To even have to draw your gun means you have found yourself in a place and a situation in which you should not be.  If you always practice visual vigilence--no matter where you are--you should always be able to discern and then avoid possible trouble.  Examples abound: cross the street to avoid gatherings of youths instead of trying to walk through them.  Stay out of "road houses" unless you are looking for a fight  (I know what I'm talking about: as a musician I've played my share of them).  And so on.  And at night carry a weapon light like a Surefire with a 120 lumen output, and don't be bashful about illuminating dark places before you have to walk into them.  Set you cellphone to speed-dial 9-1-1.  Unless you are a soldier, avoidance is always better than confrontation.

wilco

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 10:18:33 AM »
yep, altho I've "buffaloed" more than my share of punks in my day, it is not the wisest thing to attempt. If you ccw, you really should also be wearing concealed body armor.  No realistic reason to not do so, other than laziness and kidding yourself.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2004, 11:43:54 AM »
I've heard the civilian purchase of body armour is now restricted....anything to that?  I know places like Gall's used to sell it openly, but now lists it as LEO only...
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

wilco

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 12:08:40 PM »
Last I looked, there were still ads for its sale in G and A mag, and the Shotgun News, and on the Net. Can always see some for sale at gun sales.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2004, 02:32:18 PM »
I think this thread, too, has survived its useful life.

**Locked**

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com