Author Topic: Seecamp 380 versus NAA Guardian 380  (Read 17760 times)

Offline rtw

• Expert
Seecamp 380 versus NAA Guardian 380
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:42:58 AM »
How would you describe the pluses and minuses of each gun? How do they compare...and, which would you rather own?

Thanks,

Dick
Welcome home

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
Re: Seecamp 380 versus NAA Guardian 380
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 02:22:55 PM »
Dick,  Without a doubt the Seecamp .380. They work and run and are made with quality.   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 10:50:56 PM »
Oh, Lord -- here we go!

Let me first say this:

I own one of the first R9s offered to the public and consider it to be one of the best and most powerful pocket pistols yet produced.  

I own one of the first NAA Guardian 380s and consider it to be one of the best and most indestructible pocket pistols yet produced.

I used to own a Seecamp .32, until my wife (with my blessing) "requisitioned" it as her personal CCW.

I am on the waiting list for a Seecamp .380.

___

Concerning a comparison of the Seecamp and Guardian 380s (while hunkering down in anticipation of incoming fire), here are my random thoughts:

Advantages for the Seecamp as compared to the Guiardian:

Smaller in size
Lighter in weight

Advantages for the Guardian as compared to the Seecamp:

Easier in maintainance
Greater in durabilty
Lower in price
Better in manufacturer service and customization

Don't get me wrong -- I want a Seecamp .380!  After all, I am one of those now rapiidly-aging "Cold Warriors" who were enamored years ago by the original Seecamp .25.  

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:23:01 AM »
Good to see you posting again, Richard.   You stated your defense of all our favorite pistols.

We are all weak, and driven by our "wants"............ ;D
RJ=

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:29:44 PM »
I REALLY understand the wants.. ;)

I have carried for years a .32 LWS-Don't leave home without it..
A .380 is on my list..

Right now I have to get rid of this AR15 "EBR" phase in my life!

Talk about a moneypit. :o
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline chameleon

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 10:23:31 AM »
I own a .380 seecamp, with another one on the way.
I have held, but not shot the Gaurdian.
The Gaurdian is much larger then the Seecamp.
Both are really small for a .380, and as stated above, the Gaurdian is less expensive, and can be had much quicker.

I just happen to be a fan of Seecamp, and if I didn't have that relationship with Larry, and the guns he produced.........well, I would look at the quality and still choose the Seecamp.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 12:24:12 PM »
Well said Chameleon, If a .380 is on your list get the Seecamp. HOWEVER, if the idea of a pocket pistol in a "real" caliber is your bag;isn't it nice to have a Rohrbaugh R9 as a choice!  Tom

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 12:23:39 AM »
 Being a fan of both the Seecamps and the Guardians as BUGs, just let me say that which one you carry should depend on your personal circumstances.  

Before my wife requisitioned my LWS32 as her personal weapon, I used to carry it on occasions which I described as "Dress Blue Sundays."  (It even sports old-ivory grips.)   It is a superb little weapon!

As for the G380, this is a response which I recently posted on the NAA Message Board:

"For me, as the owner of the 64th G380 sold, it is never boring to read success stories about the design. The G380 is an amazing little weapon, as is each model in the the Guardian series. Not only are they practically indestructible but also they represent one of the most reliable designs now available in a pocket pistol. They give new meaning to the 'KISS' principle which I learned to value back in my Army days. In fact, if I had to select one pocket pistol to carry into an environment in which I knew that it would be immersed in 'muck and mud' and might have to be field stripped and cleaned while 'the dreck was hitting the fan,' I would select one of the Guardians. With practice, you can field strip, clean, and reassemble one of those little beauties in less than a minute and in the dark."

And, in closing, let me reaffirm my comments above regarding certain other pocket pistols.  But let me also say that if you are expecting to have to crawl through "muck and mud" and may have to field strip and clean a pocket pistol while "the dreck is hitting the fan," you might want to consider having one of the little Guardians in your bag of tricks.

RS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 10:18:06 AM »
Thanks everyone.

It's great to hear accolades about both .
Welcome home

Offline gr8guns

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 09:34:22 PM »
If I may summarize a little:

Seacamp 380 is smaller and lighter. I felt it was significantly easier to conceal if you need it that small.  You can literally forget that it's there until you need it or you get undressed.  One 32 Seacamp shot a little high and left (about 13 inches) at 10 yards from the bench.  At 5 yards, it centered well enough.

Guardian 380 is still small, the same caliber, and very rugged.

Big price and wait difference.

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 04:45:27 AM »
I own a Seecamp 32, which I love. I also own a Guardian .380 that I think is a fine concealed carry pocket gun, as well as a Keltec P3AT .380, which gets carried often and shoot very little.   I have an Rohrbaugh R-9s and a Seecamp .380 on order. I haven't yet fired a R-9s, but from what my friends on this forum say, this pup will be a joy to own, carry and shoot,  and in a fine caliber. I expect The Seecamp .380 to be as sweet to carry and shoot as the Seecamp .32 which I already own. Seecamps and R-9s's have a first rate reputation which is justly deserved. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Hopefully you will never have to use them and they will just let you rest a little easier knowing they are there, at the ready should they be called upon.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 04:48:11 AM by doubletapMike »
doubletapMike

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 11:07:38 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought a Guardian .380 because the Seecamp was out of range time-wise.  (I've held a Seecamp only once, and the owner stood right over my shoulder to make sure it wouldn't 'accidentally' walk off.)

My Guardian has performed flawlessly over a thousand rounds.  I just changed the recoil spring assy, even though there were no malfunctions.  (NAA recommends 1,000 to 1,500 rounds, depending on ammo used.)  Open one up and you find a very clever, simple design.  I think it's a lot like a Seecamp. (Recoil spring assembly may be licensed from Seecamp.)  It's a Blowback design in which barrel is integral part of frame.  Feedramp is CNC-generated and slick as Super-Lube.  

Two reasons I decided to buy an R9S, with a Guardian already in my pocket:
1. The all-steel Guardian sits kind of heavy in my pocket.
2. A 9mm Parabellum trumps a .380 for power.

I'm really one of those "Self defense starts with a .4" kind of a guy, but found I was leaving my H&K or Sig at home more than I was carrying it.  Thus the purchase of the NAA Guardian.  And the R9S.  I think the Rohrbaugh is the perfect compromise.  It has power, doesn't beat me up, and is light enough to carry ALL the time.  

Now, if the Brothers R want to produce an R10......Put me at the top of the waiting list!   8)

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
rtw, Dick, How is the new Seecamp .380 doing? Are you taking good care of it?   Regards, Tom

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 12:01:16 PM »
Well, I certainly agree with that! And I'll be number 2 on that list. The Guardian is a little heavy. But for the size and caliber and price, it's hard to beat. Really a pretty rugged little gun. Not quite as small as a Seecamp, but no slouch either. And the .380 at 7 yards in JHP's is nothing to snicker at. You can jsut put it in your pocket and forget about it. And thats the best thing of all. Always there if you need it and never in the way if you don't.What you are really getting is peace of mind. It's the insurance policy you hope you never have to cash in. But you sleep a little better knowing that you have it.

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2005, 06:44:52 PM »
Irishguard,

The Seecamps-.32 and .380-are doing just fine. It's time to clean them, which is on my schedule for tomorrow night.

Welcome home