Author Topic: Side arm for Africa  (Read 9969 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Side arm for Africa
« on: September 16, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »
I may be heading to Zambia this winter to hunt birds -- so I need a sidearm -- I'm thinking about the scandium S&W 44 mag, but I'd like suggestions.

Thanks
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: Side arm for Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 10:27:54 AM »
The 4" S&W 500... :o

« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 10:29:01 AM by flyandscuba »
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 10:44:28 AM »
I like that picture showing the explosion.

That has to be a true Africa sidearm.

My friend has one and has invited me to shoot it.  He said the recoil was not bad.  I respectfully declined.

Bill

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 11:10:46 AM »
I have the 10.5 Hunter from the Performance Center.  It really gives you more of a "push" than a kick.  I've used the 350gr Hornady loads almost exclusively.  The guys that push the 440gr hardcast lead stuff down the tube are nuts!

I've thought about picking up the 4" model and the nice leather holster and belt made by DeSantis -- but I can't justify it, as my time in Alaska is very limited.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 12:03:19 PM »
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan -- 454 casull w. 2.5" barrel, and then sending it off to Gemini customs to be ported, polished, etc -- I figured more flash and noise the better in this type of gun -- but the largest handgun I ever shot was my Desert Eagle 44 mag --- so I don't know about jumping up to the 500 (I also didn't know the 500 came in a 4")-- I'm thinking that which ever gun I get, it should be able to be fired one handed -- I'm not expecting accuracy, but if I need to, that I'll be able to hold onto it -- does anyone know of a range in either TX or SC/NC that you can rent some of these to try?  Also what do ya'll think about having it converted to using moonclips -- admittedly, I can't really imagine having to reload in a hurry -- any reason not to have them?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:26:49 PM by Aglifter »
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 01:21:24 PM »
Aglifter:
I like the idea of the Super Redhawk snubbie (more like stubbie!) in .454 Casull.  That's a well-proven platform.

The S&W 500 may have an edge in WOW! factor. But I've read a lot of bad things about heavy bullet-recoil causing "double firing", where you can't get your finger off the trigger quickly enough to prevent the recoiling revolver from cycling the action a second time.  I guess S&W won't be making that puppy in scandium / aluminum alloy any time soon!

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 06:24:20 PM »
sslater,

Curious that you mention the "double ignition" in the 500.  I actually experienced the phenomenon with my Hunter.  Although S&W customer service refused to acknowledge a global problem with the design, I was instructed to send my gun back for testing and possible "adjustment". In my case, it wasn't that the trigger was pulled twice -- the cylinder actually unlocked and rotated to the next live round during the recoil phase of the first shot.  Something I would have said was impossible -- but it did happen to me on three occassions (with witnesses) before I sent the gun back for service.

After four weeks, it returned with a new hammer, hand, locking lug and lug spring.  No other mention of a similar problem with other guns...or if they had been able to recreate the problem with my gun.

Unfortunately, I did suffer a cut above my eye prior to sending the gun back to the factory.  I was shooting the gun from a rest -- with a scope attached.  When it went "boom-boom" in short order, the scope contacted my sunglasses -- which contacted my eyebrow enough to cause a small cut.

Well, facial cuts bleed -- alot -- the poor girl at the range office thought I had been shot in the head when I went in to get some paper towels from the rest room...

After that session, it went in the box -- with the spent casings still in the cylinders so the smith could see exactly where the problem occurred.  As I said, the gun came back "fixed" -- but without explanation if the double ignition had been recreated.

With that said, the repaired early production 500 has been flawless since.  I took a large trophy hog in the Everglades with one shot this past spring -- he didn't even run, just dropped in his tracks.  So, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the 4" version as it was introduced after the bugs had been worked out of the early examples.

Cor-bon has now introduced a 500 "special" load with reduced ballistics.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 06:30:45 PM by flyandscuba »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:42:29 PM »
I don't think I want to get the 500, primarily because I think I can find 454 casull in Africa if I have to, or at least 45 LC, but I'm not sure how available 500 would be -- I plan to bring ammo over w. me, but in the even it got lost...  My gunsmith's rec was either a 4" either 454 or 44 mag Ruger...which I don't think exists -- or the scandium 44 magS&W w. the internal locks removed.  He did say that if he thought his life depended on a gun firing properly, he'd pick a Ruger over the S&W, simply because it's a tougher gun.  Personally, I think this is more of a CCW piece for big BGs than a hunting gun.... now, if only the R bros had something...

Offline dr16

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 10:49:28 PM »
I had one of the 2 1/2" Rugers in my hand at a local Georgia gunshop on Monday. The end of the barrel is just flush with the frame. I have a 4 3/4" Freedom Arms 454 and after firing it for 16 years I have NO desire to light off a 2 1/2" 500.

However, on the same platform, Ken Kelly of Mag-Na-Port has been producing a 4.8" Quad Ported Super RedHawk in 480 for some time. Sweet!

Dave

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 02:18:21 AM »
"But I've read a lot of bad things about heavy bullet-recoil causing "double firing", where you can't get your finger off the trigger quickly enough to prevent the recoiling revolver from cycling the action a second time."

Ayoob had an article in a recent AH or Guns article that neatly explained the mechanics of that exact phenomenon  - it's not a myth! Wow - talk about your double taps! - how about a Mozambique with a .500? ! ?
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Fud

• Master
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 03:11:53 AM »
Looking at this chart ...

... I'm just curious how a 'HOT' .45 (long) Colt compares to the rest of them  :-/

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 04:34:37 AM »
I think a 454 casull is a HOT 45 LC....  What about having a Ruger shortened to between 4~5 inches...of course, by then I'll have about a 1200 pistol... maybe that 4" 500 ain't so bad...

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 10:35:57 AM »
I...of course, by then I'll have about a 1200 pistol... maybe that 4" 500 ain't so bad...

I've seen new ones on GB go for as low as $850-875.  A guy on glocktalk had a slightly used one that went for $700-750...but I was too late to grab it.

Here's an interesting slow motion video of the 500 being fired.  I believe it was made during the investigation and evaluation of the double ignitions.  It makes Harry Callahan's Model 29 look like a pop gun...

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96781308/K=S%26W+500/v=2/SID=e/l=VDP/SIG=11lr32hme/EXP=1127050345/*-http%3A//www.john-ross.net/M500.avi

How 'bout a de-comped and chopped CCW version of the 500?  I wouldn't be brave enough to shoot this bad boy...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 10:45:38 AM by flyandscuba »

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 12:46:59 PM »
Yeah, I don't know about that either... I have a HUGE favor to ask of anyone who owns one of those 500s... Could you fire it 1 handed and tell me if it's controllable/tell me if it's blatently impossible to fire in that manner.  Also, I assume the 500 has enough energy to work like a rifle -- the round has the hydro? effects where it's not neccesary to hit the vitals dead on?

Thanks -- really torn between the 500, which would only be good for Africa, and the scandium 44, which I would carry in the backcountry around the US

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 02:18:33 PM »
Aglifter,

I just came back from a local gunshow.  While there, I handled the Ruger Alaskan 2.5" in .454 side by side with the 4" S&W 500.  The size and weight of the Ruger is a significant advantage for carry.

Knowing what I do -- in terms of what it is like to shoot my 10.5" S&W 500, I would opt for the Ruger Alaskan.  You can shoot .454 or .45 Long Colt through it, and the price is less expensive ($799 at the gun show, but several on gunbroker for much less).