Author Topic: Joke for a Monday Morning  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Joke for a Monday Morning
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »
Reading Dave's description of his recent trip to Alaska, and particularly his close-up encounter with a mother grizzly and her cubs, has taken my mind completely off of work this Monday morning.  In the course of daydreaming about salmon streams, the midnight sun, and grizzly bears, I recalled this old joke which I think I first heard about 20 years ago:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear contacts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and stay alert for bears while in the field.

"We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

"It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.  Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.  Black bear scat is small compared to that of a grizzly, often contains undigested berries and squirrel fur, and has a musty odor.  Grizzly bear scat is large, often contains little bells, and may smell like pepper spray."

;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Joke for a Monday Morning
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:40:53 PM »
That's a good one!

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:09:23 PM »
Bwhahaha!!! ;D ;D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:28:34 PM »
Richard,

Thank you.

Today, I needed that.

It truly help make my day.

Regards,

Bill

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:20:00 AM »
I liked that Richard - especially since I do know people who carry pepper spray in bear country!!  Grizzly scat is large.  I have seen it with blueberries and fish parts in it.  Brown bear looks the same - they now say the brown bear is really from the grizzly family.

Years ago I was on a white water canoe trip in northern Canada.  Walked out of my tent in the morning and stepped right into a large pile of bear scat outside the door - had a visitor over night.  Don't know if it was black or grizzly bear.  All I know is when you are in bare feet it oozes between your toes the same.

On a scary note we personally know a lawyer who was hiking/camping with two friends in grizzly bear country.  He got between a mom grizzly and her cubs  without realizing it and was killed with one paw swipe.  His friends had to carry him for two days.

In Alaska and Canada bear attacks are rare - moose atttacks are far more of a problem.   I talked to many people who have been chased my moose.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 10:55:48 AM »
"Don't know if it was black or grizzly bear.  All I know is when you are in bare feet it oozes between your toes the same."
 Dave

:D

RJ=