Author Topic: R9 in Louisiana  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
R9 in Louisiana
« on: September 06, 2005, 12:05:36 PM »
Hello folks,

My R9s & I are in Louisiana. My 2 brother’s & a hired hand have volunteered to help with transporting the displaced victims of Katrina.

We arrived Saturday night. (27 hour drive from Rhode Island)

We have 2 buses to move  those that need transportation.

Spent 24 hours in Mississippi awaiting assignment.   You all must have heard how screwed up things here are.

FEMA is lost in space. We’re in a holding paten in Lake Charles, Louisiana along with 200 other buses, each with two drives. Just waiting…..

We may start moving folks to Texas today. That’s good. The problem is the Texas State Police are stopping all busses with displaced victims and searching baggage for firearms.

This could be a problem (very big problem) for me.

My Rohrbaugh along with a 1911-A1 are not permitted.

Next time I have access to DSL, I’ll try to fill you in.

Things are everything you all seen on TV and perhaps worst.  

Bill

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: R9 in Louisiana
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 02:50:36 PM »
Wow, Bill that is incredible.  Kudos to you for getting involved!  Good luck and be very careful.

What is it about disasters that allow the police to think that civil rights are suspended?   I hope its not a problem for you.  Just think of the problems it would cause if they arrested you, the bus driver, in the middle of the highway, with 40 passengers on board!

At least it is Texas -- if anyone is willing to cut you some slack on this, it would probably be Texas. ;)
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 05:05:16 PM »
TX does recognize LA's permits, and I'm pretty sure you could get a DPS guy to cut you some slack for being armed after what happened in NO, it's probably more for the refugees, whom they don't want armed inside the centers.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 06:24:38 PM »
Bill - you have set yourself one heckuva task - and hope it all goes OK.  It would be interesting to hear more of your thoughts over time.

Take care and hope the gun situation is resolved satisfactorily.  If anyone should have claim to still carry it is those such as yourself right now.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 11:50:50 PM »
An R9s in a Hedley pocket holster -- skillfully carried in a front pocket -- is not baggage, correct?  If they get to the point of searching relief workers for weapons, I'd be saying soooo long and leave the "citizens" to themselves...

Sorry if I sound callous, but the Bagdad mentality has arrived in New Orleans.  When remaining "citizens" are taking pot shots at helicopters, boats, cell phone tower workers, etc. -- I find myself wondering when the first suicide bomber will "glorify" himself on the streets of the Big Easy...

Keep your head down -- and don't give up your personal protection tools!  
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:27:16 AM »
Billmack and flyandscuba and others are heroes for helping out in the New Orleans area.

My hat is off to you both.  The world is fortunate to contain people like you.

I hope law enforcement will honor your carry permits.  You deserve every possible consideration.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 10:15:28 AM »
Billmack, Bless you sir for your spirit and help to the needy. Keep your head down and keep moving. If you have a CCW you should not have a problem, unless the guns are super and the officers want them to keep. ohhhh no!
Welcome to Texas.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:08:03 PM »

Folks,

After talking with a number of driver’s that have made the run to Dallas, I’ve been assured that the authorities are not interested in the driver’s luggage or belongings.  So, I feel my Rohrbaugh & I we’ll be just fine.

As told to me by a driver who had returned from that run yesterday, the state police boarded his coach and made this statement.

“Anyone on board carrying a firearm, put in on the floor now. If you have one and do not comply with this order, you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law”

22 hand guns were laid on the deck for collection by the police.

After they collected the firearms, all the passengers’ belongings (I sure most had very little) were searched.  

Along with 500 to 600 other motor coach companies, we continue sitting and wait. We’ve been parked at an old Air Force base in Lake Charles Louisiana being used as a staging area for the buses.

With Mid 90 degree temperatures and no shade it’s hot! Anyone who has spent time on a flight line will confirm this.

Little to no information has been shared with either the bus companies or the driver’s. FEMA at it’s best.

Truly it’s starting to get frustrating. We came a long way to help those in need of transportation. Instead, we’re spending the days chasing down hotel rooms, (sleeping in the buses get old fast) washing the buses and other non productive tasks.

I’m sure everyone has heard and seen the damage to New Orleans. I can tell you there is substantial damage to towns through out Mississippi and Louisiana.

Leaving Meridian Mississippi a few days ago, we traveled south on route I-20. The tree damage was unbelievable. I now understand why it took so long for relief crew to reach New Orleans. Hundreds of miles on downed trees & power lines. The tree guys & power company workers  did a superior job in clearing the highway. Their work must have taken days, working 24 hours a day. They deserve a lot of credit.

I meet many folks that have lost ever personal possession they owed. I’ve meet some that lost family members. Some who can’t find loved ones. Not knowing if they made it out or not.

Not a single person we’ve meet has been anything but friendly and kind.
This, if nothing else is a real life lesson for me.

Those that have every right in the word to feel sorry for then self’s, to  walking around with a long face, to just be miserable, Are anything but. They are happy to be alive. Their so grateful of out pour of help and generosity shown them.

I’ve gone on too long here. Sorry for the rambling.  Fatigue setting in!!

Hope all is well in your home towns.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 07:11:30 PM »
We read every word.

Thanks for taking the time to tell the story, Bill.

You are a fine man!

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 07:14:45 PM »
Bill - thank you very much for another ''report'' - not too long at all - for me at least, very much appreciated.

[size=13]?Anyone on board carrying a firearm, put in on the floor now. If you have one and do not comply with this order, you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law?[/size]

Sounds pretty heavy - tho it'd be good if they had some means of knowing who, if anyone, had a CCW.  I guess no one has paperwork anymore tho.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 08:28:23 PM »
Thank you for the report, Bill.  Good luck, and God speed!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 09:11:39 PM »
Thanks for the report from the front lines, Bill -- or at least close to it!   Take care and be safe.  Please keep the reports coming, it is all very interesting.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline TW

• Grand Master
R9 in Louisiana
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 11:17:58 PM »
>>Hi Bill...

I too would like to thank you and your brothers for taking time out of your lives to help suvivors in NO...and to put up with the FEMA frustrations.  I am sure you guys are considered guardian angels to those folks in need.  To me you are heros.  If it wasn't for being crippled I would gladly join you.  Given my realities...I am supporting the Red Cross and other sources to live it out for me.  

It's nice to know someone like you which makes the whole thing a bit more personal than CNN reporting - so don't even think that you might be taking inappropriate advantage of this forum to share you thoughts, feelings, and experiences.  Who knows...maybe you will even come upon some way we R9ers as a group can help support you or others down there...?  So keep the reports flowing, as you can.  Thanks...!...TW<<

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2005, 12:04:42 PM »
It’s another day in La. Sitting on my thumbs.

We’re still in a holding area at Chenault Air Base in Lake Charles, LA.

Thursday evening 50 buses were dispatched to New Orleans. Their mission: to pick up first responders and other rescue / relief workers.

Once again, a well thought out plan.   The buses arrived as directed.  The passengers were to receive a one way ride to Las Vegas for some R&R. No rooms. No money. No way back to the front line.

All 50 buses returned to Lake Charles empty. The workers refused to leave.

I’ve been advised that Sunday the 11th, my brother’s Don the hired hand and I will be flying home. Two fresh drivers are leaving RI to relieve us. I don’t think I mentioned that Don is just back from the war. He’s been back about two months.

As I jot down these notes, we are on duty / call. Buses parked awaiting the “big call”.

Thursday evening, as we were entering the lobby of out motel, we meet a young mother and her son Austin. Both were homeless and possession less from New Orleans.

Austin turned 7 years old on Thursday. Mon had no gifts for her son. No cake, etc.. No tears from the young boy.

A bunch of us got together and sang “Happy Birthday” (the long version)

Digging through our gear, we came up with a few trinkets for the birthday boy. You’d think he had just won the lottery. It made us just as happy as Austin.

The church groups are doing saintly work preparing meals for those in need. Additionally, the same folks are collecting clothing and other needed goods.

I’d like to mention a small gun shop in Sulphur LA. Gator Gun & Knife. The folks there gave me a Smith & Wesson Performance Center hard case and two gun locks for the bubble. Just to make sure I’d have no problems with the airline folks.

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I’ll be leaving Houston today at 3:300.

God Bless America!!

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »
Bil - thx again for ''reporting in'' - much frustration but also - some moments for emotion I reckon.

Stay safe Sir and stay in touch.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site