Author Topic: Fashion changes  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Fashion changes
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:32:56 AM »
One aspect of  fashion change which I enjoy is the freedom  to have your shirt out.   In is out, and out is in.

Heretofore, my experience was in an office environment where it could not happen.   I always envied those who could wear what they wanted.

Requirements have been relaxed a little during retirement.  

It still seems a little odd, but it sure covers up the VM-2 IWB, if appropriate.  Perhaps fashion changes occurred because of the growing CCW trends.

Bill

Offline Ubik380

Re: Fashion changes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:47:40 AM »
I'm still resisting the "untucked look". In my younger years... well, just say that I'm lucky my future bride could see beyond the black jeans and Jethro Tull t-shirt. Now I'm considering altering the right hip pocket of all my pants to hold the R9s/holster without showing. This hadn't been an issue until now because of the smaller size of the Seecamp.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:14:54 PM »
Ubik380, it is hard for me to accept the "untucked look", too.  It was darn near impossible to get started, but....

My son-in-law is in marketing and is keenly aware of appearance requirements, and he has the clothes to prove it.

Meanwhile, I've noticed him with his shirt out on casual weekends.

There truly seems to be a relaxation of the "guidelines" for informal dress.  I've even seen some old 68-year old people like me with the shirt out.

Maybe they were carrying.   :)

Bill

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 12:19:39 PM »
Some of us, due to professional status or occupation, will never be able to wear untucked shirts, and will always require tucked-in dress shirt, tie, slacks and often a coat during much of the day.
Properly employed, however, a sport (or other) coat or vest can often take the place of an untucked shirt, as regards CCW with an OWB or IWB holster, or even a shoulder rig.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 12:20:13 PM by SAWBONES »
Humani nihil alienum

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:31:39 PM »
Hi SAWBONES,

I know what you mean.  I was completely unable to have the shirt out because of those reasons.

It has become possible only because of retirement.

But the old habits were hard to overcome.

Bill

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:17:15 PM »
When I first got down to Florida I quickly adopted the style of shirt down here.  Similar to the hawaiian shirts, but without the tacky designs.  These are meant to be worn out and not tucked.  A nice silk or linen in a dark color provides all the cover you need and is acceptable, at least in S. Florida, as casual business attire (dress slacks, nice shoes, collared shirt).  

Offline Ubik380

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »
In my work environment, "untucked" would pass but I prefer the more "dressed" look: kakhi pants and (tucked-in) Polo shirt are my uniform. Also, I'm willing to give up firepower to keep my co-worker ignorant, so my goal isn't just to cover (vest, jacket over OWB or IWB) , but to conceal with NO chance of flashing.<p>Pants pockets are scaled to match the pants the're attached to, so they can be modified to suit but the Seecamp is still the only pistol that will currently fit mine.<p>My current carry method is a modified PDA case which allows me to remove the "holster" from my pocket completely without anyone being aware of its contents. I plan on having another made for the R9.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 05:02:45 PM »
In this day and time the hawaiian shirt is the answer.

Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 06:45:14 PM »
In my "neck of the woods" the untucked look is coming VERY soon...

It's called WINTER.. :o ;D

Can carry all sorts of "hardware" in addition to the pup!! 8)

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 07:19:26 PM »
Brenden,

We went on our Fall honeymoon to the Cadillac area.  I've never seen so many wonderful colors in my life.

Winter is a lot of fun.  That's what I like about Michigan, the constant changing weather.

Last winter we took an exchange student from Thailand to our northern Michigan home.  He had never seen snow in his life.  We were looking out at the lake, and he said:  "Will we see penquins?".

The R9 is most forgiving about clothing, as long as you have a decent front pocket.  It's the Sig P239 I'm concerned about.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 07:26:07 PM »
About the only time I wear a suit anymore is when I go to court or to a funeral.  Otherwise, I'll be wearing BDUs.  (You can carry a lot of great "stuff" in BDUs.)

My wife shops at upscale malls.  I shop at Army surplus stores.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 08:51:14 PM »
I am thankful my dress is entirely my choice.  I am told I appear to look like an absebt-minded professor!  Suits me!

In summer, included in which is biking - my Smith & Alexander vest does wonders.  Now tho and for winter it'll be outside long shirt - and if my thick padded one when real cold - even my BFR could be concealed (if heavy!). :D
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline SAWBONES

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 09:31:09 PM »
Rocnerd, that's a Guayabera shirt you're describing.
I had a couple once upon a time.

Works fine in FL, anywhere along the Gulf of Mexico and in Havana, but won't fit in up north, unfortunately, except for casual Summer wear.
Humani nihil alienum

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 09:50:51 PM »
Tom, I have to agree with you, Hawaiian Shirts are perfect. I have quite a collection. And with Autumn coming fast a heavy sweater or sweatshirt does the job just fine. Richard, you and I frequent the same types of places, while my wife is really at home at the mall. Hard to beat a good pair of BDU's.
BDU shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Just call me Tommy Bahama!
Mike
doubletapMike

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2005, 09:18:10 AM »
Rocnerd, that's a Guayabera shirt you're describing.
I had a couple once upon a time.

Works fine in FL, anywhere along the Gulf of Mexico and in Havana, but won't fit in up north, unfortunately, except for casual Summer wear.

That's it!  I forgot the proper name.  I think a nice silk one without any frills or pockets would fit right in up north during the warmer months anyway.  They can look quite dressy (sp?) and yet casual at the same time. LOL