Author Topic: DRT Tool  (Read 14964 times)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
DRT Tool
« on: October 03, 2015, 05:03:19 PM »
I found a couple pieces of brass in a box while looking for something else today so i thought I'd make myself a Rohrbaugh DRT (Disassembly/Reassembly Tool).  Many thanks to RJ for making the process so easy.    (RIP RJ)

NOTE:  I change the pictures on 12/9/15 to show the DRT with the hex key.   

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.com

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:18:24 AM by Brian »

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: DRT Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 06:00:17 PM »

Very clever and extremely well done, Brian. RJ would be flattered and proud.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:05:10 PM »
Brian: I think that you're feeling better!!! Great!!!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
Looks very nice. Any interest in making them available on the forum? I would like 1 if so.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
Hey Josh,

I'll be glad top make one up for you.  I've been thinking of changing the push pin part and making it a Hex Key so it cold be used to push the barrel pin out and to unscrew the grips.  I think that would allow for a complete take down and reassembly of the Rohrbaugh with the one tool.  Let me know which one sounds best to you and I'll get it done.  Also let me know if you would want a hole in it so you could put it on a key chain. 

I expect to price them in the $20 - $25 range but it's been a while since I've bought any brass so I'll have to check that out.  I have enough on hand to make a few right now so no worries on that yet.  You can email me at  BRIAN@DESIGNERGRIPS.COM

Brian
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:59:13 PM by Brian »

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »
I'll take one if you have another available.  Thanks, Phil

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »
I would very much like one...the hex key sounds like a great idea if you can do it.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 10:53:13 PM »
Hey Josh,

I'll be glad top make one up for you.  I've been thinking of changing the push pin part and making it a Hex Key so it cold be used to push the barrel pin out and to unscrew the grips.  I think that would allow for a complete take down and reassembly of the Rohrbaugh with the one tool.  Let me know which one sounds best to you and I'll get it done.  Also let me know if you would want a hole in it so you could put it on a key chain. 

I expect to price them in the $20 - $25 range but it's been a while since I've bought any brass so I'll have to check that out.  I have enough on hand to make a few right now so no worries on that yet.  You can email me at  BRIAN@DEISGNERGRIPS.COM

Brian

Sold. Sending email. Thanks Brian.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
Here's the DRT Rev. (A) Not quite as good looking by much more versatile.  I can supply either one for $25 while my brass supply lasts.

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 06:20:35 PM »
Please make mine the one with the Allen.

Also, did you get my email Brian?

The one I sent to the email below bounced back.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »
PM sent.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:47 PM »
Got it Josh.  And I corrected the error in my previous post. 

I got you PM too John.  A response has been sent. 

Thanks for all the interest.  I'm awaiting a shipment of hex keys right now and will start filling orders as soon as they come in.   

In the mean time if anyone has an idea as to how to make it even more useful please let me know.  I'm always willing to try new things.

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.Com

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »
The only idea that came to mind was to put the Rohrbaugh logo on it.

I realize it may not be practical or feesible but when you have an idea I think you should divulge it and leave feesibility and practicality up to those who can or can't make it happen : ) kinda helps ideas flow rather than being afraid of looking like a moron :)

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 09:00:53 PM »
Oh, here is one other idea for you Brian.

On one of my pocket holsters for my R9 I took a small diameter drill bit and drilled a deep hole in the holster to make a snug fit for an Allen wrench so I always had the appropriate Allen wrench available and more importantly knew where it was.

I thought it turned out slick and was very discreet.

Now I carry an expensive holster and I'm afraid to drill it.

May be something you want to try. Who knows?

John Stuart Mill

Offline Brian

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:05 AM »
I like both of those ideas.  Sadly I have no engraving equipment so the Rohrbaugh coat of arms is not something I can do in my basement.  I have looked into having it engraved elsewhere and it would drive the cost of the tool up through the roof unless I was doing 50 - 100 pcs at a time.  And so far I only have 4 orders.  HOWEVER, if I ever do get enough orders to justify engraving I'll replace any previously sold DRT's at no additional charge. 

The holster idea is something I was talking to my son about just yesterday.  While I can't do much for already existing holsters I'm going to try to incorporate a DRT into any Rohrbaugh holsters I make in the future.   

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Brian
Brian@DesignerGrips.com