Author Topic: R9 Laser  (Read 4956 times)

Offline Thomasconnor

R9 Laser
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
Hello, I did some research and saw no lasers for the R9. One member and I collaborated for a bit as he had fit a Crimson Trace from an RM380. The CT switch at the other end complicates things as the whole thing has to fit and they definitely changed the geometry with the RM380.

Viridian has also introduced a laser for the RM380. It has a magnetic switch that turns the laser on when removed from the Veridian holster. Magnet switch kits are available to fit to your own holster.

Well the Viridian was not a good fit either. I believe it is a harder plastic that the Crimson Trace and did not want to bend with the amount of heat I was willing to put to it.

In trying to bend it to fit with heat I broke the arm. Fortunately there is no wiring or switch in the Viridian arm; it keeps the laser from moving (rotating) on the trigger guard.

Well the arm is not all that didn't fit. With little to lose once I broke it, I began grinding away with a dremel at the portion of the Viridian that is between the battery and the pistol. It was a lot of time consuming intricate grinding and filing that I wouldn't wish on anyone. The laser vertical adjustment is adjusted all the way up and it points right where it's supposed to.

I got it to fit ANAP (as nicely as possible) and tried it under fire. It rotated on the trigger guard a bit with the recoil. I was surprised because it was a tight fit. So I used some 100% silicone in the groove of the laser that the trigger guard fits into and it stays fast. I believe the silicone acts as a filler for the spaces that allowed it to rotate, and as an adhesive.

The Viridian RM380 waistband holster that came with the laser had the magnet I needed for the switch. I removed it and glued it into my pocket holster. The laser activates automatically upon removal. The arrow indicates the magnet.

Again, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but it can be done...Tom

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:31:56 AM by Thomasconnor »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: R9 Laser
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:42:46 AM »
IMO putting a laser on an R9 is simply a solution in search of a problem.  The R9, originally sightless, is a belly gun used point-and-shoot at bad breath range.  Taking the time to visually acquire the laser dot would put one at a distinct disadvantage in a sudden emergency, and in the heat of battle trying to hold the dot steady while pulling the trigger would be impossible....in all cases you would be visually focused either on the attacker, or as likely, the knife or handgun he brandished (which is apparently why many close quarter combat shots seem to be at the weapon rather than "center of mass").  There seems to me to be little reason to add weight and bulk to a pocket hideout pistol with no real added benefit.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »

Interesting... Nice work! 

I would say the added bulk of that little laser is not really a big deal.  The laser could be helpful in some circumstances, and probably doesn't ever hurt.

I wonder about the laser being "always on" but I guess that is no big deal.  The tactical internet commandos would say you have to be able to shut off your laser so as to not give away your position in the dark... ;)  I'm not too worried about that with my hideout pocket gun.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:37:19 PM »
In spite of the challenges I think you did a real nice job.

I like options, and a laser is another one that has had a great deal of success.  Like Duane said, 'could be helpful in some circumstances, and probably doesn't hurt.'

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:20:10 PM »
Nice work Mr. Connor.

......carry on Sir.

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »
How about you sell me those grips.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:21:44 PM »
Those were by Pat Hogue and were called The Executive Grip Set. I thought those were one of the nicest grip sets we had on any Rohrbaugh R9 besides the ones that came after the Hogue grips, which were made by John at VZ Grips.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Thomasconnor

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
IMO putting a laser on an R9 is simply a solution in search of a problem. The R9, originally sightless, is a belly gun used point-and-shoot at bad breath range.  Taking the time to visually acquire the laser dot would put one at a distinct disadvantage in a sudden emergency, and in the heat of battle trying to hold the dot steady while pulling the trigger would be impossible....in all cases you would be visually focused either on the attacker, or as likely, the knife or handgun he brandished (which is apparently why many close quarter combat shots seem to be at the weapon rather than "center of mass").  There seems to me to be little reason to add weight and bulk to a pocket hideout pistol with no real added benefit.

Respectfully, I'm missing the downside to having a laser and sights. S&W just paid $95 million for Crimson Trace. I suggest that sights are more popular than not.

Where is it written that one must rely on the laser in an emergency? Or the sights? What if it's dark and your target is 30 feet away? What if it's light and your target is 30 feet away? What about the laser's effect as a deterrent, or ability to "shoot around a corner" (without fully exposing oneself to obtain a sight picture)?

Why not be practiced (regarding sights) with a mouse gun? You might be surprised what you can hit. How do you practice without sights? Shoot a tree from two feet away? I can probably do that with sights. ::)

The weight is less than an ounce including the battery and the magnet. The bulk is entirely within the same pocket holster, so effectively no bulk is added. The downside is less than an ounce. The thing is bare DOA with re-strike ability, so there's not a lot going on to cause confusion.

Duane, the laser also has a three position switch that provides a blink feature which doubles battery life. Off, Constant ON, or Blink On. You could turn it off once drawn but it would be very inconvenient!

The grips and screws are available from Williams. I believe the grips were $45 and the black screws $5 for a set of 4. The shipping was rude, $15 as I remember for grips and screws in a small box. The checkering was sharp; I did soften the checkering with sandpaper. I agree they're the nicest looking, but for me the checkered (also softened) VZ grips work best in a pocket holster because of the rounded contour...Tom
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:44:48 AM by Thomasconnor »

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
R9 Laser
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:47:02 AM »
Its a frickin laser