Author Topic: Shooting the R9  (Read 5905 times)

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
Shooting the R9
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »
Two questions:

How often do you shoot your R9?
Second when I got my first one I could only shoot 3 roundest a time before the pain set in. Now I will bring 3-4 mags. Shoot a mag, let the gun cool between strings, and shoot another.

Anyone?

p.s. the one that gets shot 40-60 rounds week is a EARLY numbered two tone, no sight, that is shooter/carry grade. 
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Shooting the R9
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:55:42 AM »
Every 4 to 5 weeks, 2 mags usually.  If I shoot more I wear a thin leather shooting glove.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:12 PM »
Every 4 to 5 weeks, 2 mags usually.  If I shoot more I wear a thin leather shooting glove.

Two is comfortable. I CAN and HAVE done more but man it is painful.

kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
   I can usually handle a couple mags and that's about it.

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »
A few mags here too before I have to put it down, but it isnt a range gun. Ive only shot it a couple of times in the last year, but I carry it almost everyday and hope I dont ever have to shoot it in that way.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »
OK, Now imagine having built a tray of 48 R9s. . . . . Now, you have to test fire and clean each and every one! One magazine per pistol! 48 mags, 288 rounds. . . . . done within about 30 - 40 minutes. Can you say OUCH!?  lol. . . . well, that's a test & clean day at Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. back in the day.  Imagine. . . . pulling 48 of these things apart, cleaning and oiling each one. Test fire was done fresh in the morning, then start cleaning them, then it's time for lunch. . . . . Then back to work cleaning, oiling, servicing them and packing them up for shipments out to clients. All in a day's work then. It was intense.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
 Yes,all in a day's work.But you loved it,right?

Offline offrdmania

• Expert
  • Desperately Needs Treatment
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
OK, Now imagine having built a tray of 48 R9s. . . . . Now, you have to test fire and clean each and every one! One magazine per pistol! 48 mags, 288 rounds. . . . . done within about 30 - 40 minutes. Can you say OUCH!?  lol. . . . well, that's a test & clean day at Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp. back in the day.  Imagine. . . . pulling 48 of these things apart, cleaning and oiling each one. Test fire was done fresh in the morning, then start cleaning them, then it's time for lunch. . . . . Then back to work cleaning, oiling, servicing them and packing them up for shipments out to clients. All in a day's work then. It was intense.

Its not work if you love what you do

Offline jh225

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »

Glutton for punishment, huh?

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
Ha haa. . . . You guys are funny. Yes, it was all in a day's work and I did absolutely enjoy it.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 07:31:20 AM »

Hi Eric,,

What's the trick lining up the barrel pin lined up on the first try? I assemble gun and push in pin. If it fits first time, fine but usually In have to take the slide off and fractionally move the recoil assembly.

Thanks
kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Kevin

What I have found is that when you put the barrel and recoil springs back into the slide, invariably they are too high in the side.

When trying to insert the pin, just push down a little on the barrel at the ejection port and the pin will line right up in the barrel notch.

It took me a while to figure it out also.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 05:11:31 PM »
That "trick" works........ also, when you have the slide components all together and you want to install that assembly onto the frame, make sure you have this look at the rear of the recoil system and the barrel lug:  The center of the recoil system, that flat area that sits on the barrel lug, make sure that it looks like a "Sunrise" or "Sunset", whichever you like to think about. Then the slide will "drop" right into place on the frame. Pull back on the slide assembly a bit and you should be able to install the barrel pin pretty easily. If I can do a photograph and post that for everyone, I'll try, but I'm extremely busy with a few things right now that are requiring my attention, so it may take a few days to get that done for you guys, but I'll do my best.

Cheers

Eric

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »
Kevin

What I have found is that when you put the barrel and recoil springs back into the slide, invariably they are too high in the side.

When trying to insert the pin, just push down a little on the barrel at the ejection port and the pin will line right up in the barrel notch.

Thanks to both you and Eric.

kevinqjhps
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
Kevin

I owe you a cold one. Just tried. Went together in SECONDS.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Indy resident