Author Topic: The new Remington  (Read 3408 times)

Offline johnny

• Master
The new Remington
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »
   I have no intention on purchasing the Remington 380 handgun,but just curious,what kind of luck are people having with it,as far as reliability?

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Re: The new Remington
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
I bought one that had a terrible trigger, sold it, and bought another one for $210-$50 rebate with a marvelous trigger. I shot it & am thinking about buying another. Unbelievable for the price!!!
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »
I have my 000099C serial numbered RM380 and although the trigger was tough at first, having shot about 300 plus rounds through it now, the trigger has mellowed out and it simply runs 100%. Funny thing is the other day I was going nuts looking for it and after much anxiety and then pulling apart my entire safe, I find it there among my R9 pistols, thinking it was one of those! Damn RM380! lol. . . . fits right in. Other than finding a nice trigger, as with any brand new firearm, they are hit and miss. The other issue I have always had is that when Remington opened up the trigger guard, the messed up by leaving the trigger itself small. They should have opened up the radius of the trigger so it doesn't bite the tip of your index finger when shooting it. Other than that, it has proven itself to be a fine little gun, and for the money, quite the value! Imagine, a full metal gun (7075 aircraft aluminum frame), not a polymer framed thing, for a few hundred bucks. . . . . Hard to beat it frankly for a small carry .380 "bullet launching platform". 
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
I find it there among my R9 pistols

When's the next auction?
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline johnny

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
  Maybe they will make the trigger smaller over time.
    Since the 70's I always purchased the new high end dog training collars by Tri-tronics.This usually was about every 2 to 3 years.We are talking a few hundred dollars here up to almost $500.00.
        I was one of their many guinea pigs.I would contact them,and they always fixed,and updated what the issue was.
   And lo and behold,an updated version usually came out.
      It was a great product,and superb service.If I remember right,they were out of Texas.But,like so many companies,they get integrated into a larger,similar organization.In this case it was Garmin,which I think is a good company.I have 4 of their GPS's and I have been happy with their product.
    Unfortunately, I don't hunt with dogs anymore.Too hard on the body for the kind of hunting I did.But I get sad when I go to a sporting goods store and walk down the dog aisle to see what new product is out.
    So much for a little rambling on here.Bottom line.Lets see if Remington listens.I still won't buy one.In winter I carry my Kobra Light,during the rest of the year,my Glock 43,sometimes my little revolver,and if I need to be very discreet,my R9.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »

I really wanted to do the RM380 review for Shooting Illustrated.  However, after all the fiasco with the R51, the Editor-in-Chief decided to take that one on himself.  He put 1,000 rounds through the RM380, with very good results.  You can read his write up here:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2016/12/26/review-remington-rm380-pistol/

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:39:05 PM »
I find it there among my R9 pistols

When's the next auction?

Soon...............
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline kevinqjhps

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
IF the R9 had never been made I would probably love to get a few BUT I don't want to add another caliber plus around here .380 has been hard to find, and expensive, for years.

Two days ago I turned down a offer of a like new 9X18 Bulgarian Mak. Same reason. Didn't want to add another caliber.
USMC
Disabled Vet
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
FORMER Cincy Bengals fan
Three times a week shooter
Indy resident

Those who disrespect the American flag have never been handed a folded one