Author Topic: Proud Veterans  (Read 6493 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Proud Veterans
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
You have so got that right!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
Nothing more need be said: the Truth stands for itself.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
   -- George Orwell

Bill

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
Ditto on the salute..

And for another Hila monster....(being they are to heavy to hump, thats what I call them being they are ususally deployed in the sand)

Speaking of Hila monsters...Rich will no doubt enjoy this...we were somewhere in NM I think (wasn't my choice of where the bird landed) and a bud of mine damn near stepped on one of those things. Everyone of course laughed at his dancing demise when he decided to reach down and grab the thing by its tail and toss it at us. Not knowing that the thing can be a little nasty. It "flipped back" up and over his hand as he went to chuck it at us and it latched onto his "elbow armor" strap which was slightly hanging down...after being totally caught off guard by this thing (he dropped his compass, the MP5 almost hit the dirt if not for the leash and due to added weight of the NODS on the helmet, its strap was choking him firmly around the neck cause he had snapped his head back at the audacity of this thing having the nerve to latch on to his equipment. He was standing there dumbfounded with the lizard hanging on and not letting go. So we took the oppurtunity to tell the New Jersey man that they are exremely poisonous. He then damn near ripped his own arm off trying to get the elbow pad off. The Hila let go finally and he tossed his elbow pad at it at which time the monster bit it again and wouldn't let go. Needless to say, the monster won the day for time was awaist'in and the mission had to "move on" while the Hila sat there and gnawed on larrys armor...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:44:20 AM by P7Enigma »
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »
One good lookin' BARRETT!   ;)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline P7Enigma

• Master
  • VENI VIDI VICI
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
One good lookin' BARRETT!   ;)

Yeah, pretty... but I am seriously considering selling it...the muzzle brake is too close to your face! This is a "CQB" version and unless you like your teeth one might want to shoot it with their mouth definitely shut!

I am looking at a Desert Tactical 338 Lapua to replace it with....don't know yet. Depends on if I can sell this one in todays market and atleast get out of it 90% of what I have in it. (thats the rule)
DISCLAIMER The above post is not to be taken lightly nor seriously. Any readers "interpretation" of the post was purely intentional

Offline whkrog

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
Re: Barrett, may be for sale.
Um, ok....
let me know where you might be posting/listed the onsale info.
You never know. Don't tell anyone if they claim to be a relative of mine.

-Bill

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
That's a funny story P7, bet you guys gave that yankee hell for a long time over that one. ;D
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
Ditto on the salute..

And for another Hila monster....(being they are to heavy to hump, thats what I call them being they are ususally deployed in the sand)

Speaking of Hila monsters...Rich will no doubt enjoy this...we were somewhere in NM I think (wasn't my choice of where the bird landed) and a bud of mine damn near stepped on one of those things. Everyone of course laughed at his dancing demise when he decided to reach down and grab the thing by its tail and toss it at us. Not knowing that the thing can be a little nasty. It "flipped back" up and over his hand as he went to chuck it at us and it latched onto his "elbow armor" strap which was slightly hanging down...after being totally caught off guard by this thing (he dropped his compass, the MP5 almost hit the dirt if not for the leash and due to added weight of the NODS on the helmet, its strap was choking him firmly around the neck cause he had snapped his head back at the audacity of this thing having the nerve to latch on to his equipment. He was standing there dumbfounded with the lizard hanging on and not letting go. So we took the oppurtunity to tell the New Jersey man that they are exremely poisonous. He then damn near ripped his own arm off trying to get the elbow pad off. The Hila let go finally and he tossed his elbow pad at it at which time the monster bit it again and wouldn't let go. Needless to say, the monster won the day for time was awaist'in and the mission had to "move on" while the Hila sat there and gnawed on larrys armor...

That reminds me of a guy who washed out of my OCS class. He was training on the operation of the M60 MBT when a 105 mm round was improperly loaded and became wedged in the breech of the main gun. This yahoo suddenly decided that the way to dislodge it was to grab a hammer that was in the compartment and start banging on the casing. Fortunately, no explosion resulted before someone was able to put a death grip on him. I wasn't present at the time, but some of those who were said they wanted to hang him from the end of the main gun tube.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:25:19 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
Ahh, two great stories, for sure!  Enjoyed the reminiscing.    ;)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 06:52:39 PM »

The Navy must be smarter than the Army. They don't give OCs, Seamen Apprentices, anything live and/or potentially destructive to mishandle.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
You don't really think that, do you?    ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »
I had no reason to think it before reading Richard's M60 story. They used to allow NAVCADS to fly airplanes but stopped that program long ago.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 07:11:07 PM by tracker »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 07:44:19 PM »

Here is a bit of nautical terminology in the unlikely event anyone has any interest.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/traditions/html/navyterm.html#joe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
The Navy must be smarter than the Army. They don't give OCs, Seamen Apprentices, anything live and/or potentially destructive to mishandle.

Tracker:

There may also be the consideration that your equipment is so much more expensive than ours.   ;)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »

That could very well be, Richard; in my limited experience it is certainly not limited to the oxymoron of Naval Intelligence.