Author Topic: barrel cleaning  (Read 14437 times)

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
Re: barrel cleaning
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
Anyone else have rough surfaces on the rifling ... anyone?  This is a new production stealth pistol whereas I did not notice the almost "galling" of the rifling on older R9 pistols.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 05:36:15 PM »
I have found that in some old used guns that I have bought; when the normal cleansers and brass brush don't cut it, I then use the stainless steel chamber brushes.  They are not reccomended for everyday bore cleaning, but they do help out in a pinch.

If that does not work, as you mentioned earlier, maybe the JB bore scrub.

Then there is the Outer's Foul Out  electrolosis/chemical system that works great on leading or copper build up.

Lastly, if you think you have a rough bore, then "lap" the barrel.

Good Luck

Reinz
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
As noted, consider J-B bore compound or IOSSO bore cleaner. I have used J-B on a limited basis and it works quite well and might address your question.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:44:01 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »
I disassembled and cleaned my stealth for the first time last night and I was very puzzled at the barrel condition.  The top of the lands appeared very black and rough  and it was very difficult to clean for only 30+ or- rounds of jacketed ammo.  I finally got the patches to some clean, but the lands still appear somewhat dark and rough looking.  This made me come to the forum and I find others with similar problems.  Has anyone contacted Rohrbaugh?  Does anyone know if they had any bad barrel problems?  I am going to see if I get any feedback before I contact them.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »
This is just an update on this am's post.  When I got off line, I went down and took the R9 stealth back apart to check it out some more since I'm not the only one having problems.  I took the BBL over to my gunsmith friend and looked it over with a magnifier.  We both agreed that it looked like tool chatter on top of the lands starting at the throat and continuing all the way to the muzzle.  It was more pronounced at the middle section of the barrel and barely visible the last .5" on the muzzle end.  I am not saying it is tool chatter as I do not know how these barrels are made, I am just using that term to describe what we saw.  The gunsmith said he would call Rohrbagh if it was his.  Is anyone else seeing these kind of marks or has anyone talked to Rohrbaugh?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »
MRC.  Welcome to the Forum.  I can't answer your question and will defer to others who may know the answer.  If not, I agree with your gunsmith to call Rohrbaugh.  They are back open today, 1/26/10.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
I did not get any responses, so I called Rohrbaugh.  Maria said that I was the first complaint that she has ever fielded on this issue, so she went back to "talk to the guys".  She promptly called back and told me that their broach-cut rifling leaves these marks and that it should not hurt the functioning of the pistol.  I told her that I have been shooting for 25 years and and had never seen anything like this.  The gunsmith has thirty years in the business and is second generation and he has never seen a bore this bad.  They were busy getting ready for the Shot Show, so I sent pictures and am waiting for them to catch back up and call me.  I just don't buy the theory "if it goes bang, there isn't a problem".

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 12:53:03 PM »
MRC as I stated on the first post of this topic, my R9s also had dark marks in the lands.  That was over a year ago right after I bought it.
Many, many rounds later the marks are all but gone.  
Welcome to the fourm, shoot your gun and clean it well. My R9s always performed with not problems. Good luck.

Offline Dino

• Master
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »
MRC just had time to take my R9s apart and look at the lands again.  They are normal now with no signs of darkness in them.  One thing, Tracker wrote about J-B bore cleaner in his post above, I used this on my R9 way back when I first noticed the problem last year.  If I remember right, it almost completly removed the blackish marks in the lands.  Nothing else came close to cleaning or maybe I should say polishing it out.

Maybe worth a try before you send yours back.  Please keep us informed.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »

As Dino says, J-B works quite well but use it only when necessary as it is a mild abrasive and can turn a .30 into a .31 if used excessively.

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
Apparently few of the many owners notice or experience the rough rifling in the bbls ...

Maria is great in the CS department; however, it sounds like we will just have to live with the rifling roughness on these limited-production pistols.  Even my ultrasonic cleaner has a hard time getting out the fouling - that is simply a result of the roughness in the bore.  I was initially quite disappointed in the bbl condition on a pistol that expensive, but given it's designed purpose and the amount that it is actually carried, I am a happy camper and am resigned to live with the rough bore.  I am rarely without the R9 even though I have many other "slick bores" from which to choose!

We shall see just what happens in the mini pistol department with the economy headed as it is.  I know several other manufacturers have projects headed for the niche/leo market but until that time, the R9 is the only 9mm game in town ... much more convenient to carry than even my Detonics. $.02
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:16:38 AM by meflyjeep »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
Before heading out into the snow for provisions, I took a few minutes to give "No. 132" her routine clean and lube. There was no evidence of tool marks on her "innerds" (which I knew anyway), and a scoping of the lands and grooves in her barrel showed everything to be as smooth and shiny as polished silver.

Now -- on to the Trading Post. (Where did all this @#$%^& snow come from anyway?)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 04:19:09 PM »
Hope you didn't forget the Bushmills 21.  However, the Trading Post may not have it.   :)     :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »
Hope you didn't forget the Bushmills 21.  However, the Trading Post may not have it.   :)     :)

It ain't yer ordnery Tradin' Post.  ;)  Gray Goose Vodka, Bushmills 21 Year Irish Whiskey, Courvoisier "Napoleon" Cognac Brandy, Toasted Head Russian River Valley Chardonnay . . . you name it, they've probably got it.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
Now that's what I call a Trading Post!   :)    :)