Author Topic: Jammed while racking the slide  (Read 8616 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Jammed while racking the slide
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 09:17:33 PM »
Have to agree - agressive slingshot is most reliable - same applies IMO to any semi - get that slide accelerating fwd at max.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Iorndealer

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2005, 10:59:32 AM »
I've experienced the failure to feed out of magazine 2 times at a round count of 50 or so.  I attributed this to not "sling shotting" the slide.  After further reflection it dawned on me that I'd chambered those top most rounds a number of times.
During the next 25 rounds I placed "fresh"  rounds into mag last.  Those 3 or 4 old rounds functioned perfectly through the gun from mid to low magazine position.

Perhaps its from racking and ejecting the rounds to offen that might be to blame?
"Keep it Safe, Keep it Secret"

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2005, 06:42:08 PM »
Iorndealer,
You may be on to something there.  Repeated loading and ejecting of a round definitely puts some lines on the brass.  (This was covered in another thread, but I can't find it.)

I've seen some creases on my often-ejected brass.  What I do is set those rounds aside for use during practice.  I won't chance carrying 'em for defense.  Many "experts" recommend shooting your carry ammo after no longer than 4 to 6 months and loading your mags with fresh rounds.  That way you avoid the possibility of finding a damaged case or a lube-contaminated primer at the worst possible time.

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2005, 11:53:09 PM »
I determined, after someone else suggested it, that the dings in my cartridge happened when chambering a round from a full clip -- now I put one the initial round in the mag, chamber it, drop the mag and reload it -- since then there have been no other dings -- also, I've stopped carry Gold dots -- electroplating really weakens metal (at least it does relative to cars), and mine were nickel plated brass cases -- I now carry either bydroshocks or silvertips
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 01:34:39 AM »
From a ballistics standpoint, both silvertips and hydra shok are significantly inferior to Gold Dot.  Both those rounds use a non-bonded obsolete design.  GDHP is some of the finest self-defense ammo available.  GDHP will penetrate, expand and retain weight better than either of those, as shown in lab tests with ballistic gelatin.  Just thought you might wish to consider that.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2005, 09:43:30 AM »
Ballistics are one part of the equation and reliability is certainly another.

As of this time, having my R9s jam several times while attempting a reload (clean gun, full mag, GDs), I have zero confidence in this gun being reloaded while the operator is under duress. I consider it a six/seven-shot only weapon.

That may change if I find the Silver Tips or even standard FMJ round-nose bullets feeding reliably.

What I am wondering is whether or not it would be reasonable to order a "spare" bbl and machine the ramp to a lesser angle.
When those GDs butt into that ramp, there's no telling whether or not they will stop cold or continue on. This is 'ok' for range behavior, but I demand better from a personal carry piece.

Bullet performance happens only after proper feeding, so I am looking for a better ogive, better metal jacket, or both.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2005, 05:34:46 PM »
As of this time, having my R9s jam several times while attempting a reload (clean gun, full mag, GDs), I have zero confidence in this gun being reloaded while the operator is under duress. I consider it a six/seven-shot only weapon.

Since it's that bad, I suggest you send it back to Rohrbaugh.  I agree with your concern and would not accept that level of reliability for carry either.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 05:48:43 PM »
Skyhook
What you have happening is so rare I would send it back.  You read those that get their R9 and put a 100 GDs through it without a hitch.  Will see how it goes when I try mine out for the first time.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 06:44:12 PM »
Yeah, I am considering sending it back to Rohrbaugh; that is one of the options.

So far, I did shoot two mags of ammo before the jamming. As of now, even with a clean gun, plenty of lube, carefylly loaded mag, I cannot get the first rnd to reliably strip off.

I did find that if I place one (1) rnd in the mag, the feeding goes 'OK', but with three, four, or six, in the mags... JAM!

I do suspect either the follower or that ramp angle.

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »
But the gun feeds reliably when you actually shoot it?  Is there anything preventing the slide from going all the way back when you pull it by hand?

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2005, 07:29:45 PM »
But the gun feeds reliably when you actually shoot it?  Is there anything preventing the slide from going all the way back when you pull it by hand?

Yes, there is no problem with the feed-while-firing so far and that's why I am holding back on the contacting the factory personnel.

No, the slide is snapped full-back before release.. I'll check this part again, however.

Thanks.