Author Topic: Disturbing incident pertaining to CCW  (Read 15883 times)

Offline hdfb910

Re: Disturbing incident pertaining to CCW
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
I think your friend did everything right.  I wouldn't say a word.  The dogs are buried, not to be insensitive but they are dogs, he is not covering up a murder.  I wouldn't report anything.  I think this is probably a fairly common thing here in the rural parts of Texas.  Your friend was just taking care of business and I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were him.  
His daughter has also been able to learn a few good lessons out of this...number one, she can always count on daddy to keep her safe, and guns make alot of noise and can do damage so don't play with them.
Something else to consider is your friend may have prevented those dogs from hurting someone else or someone's beloved pet in the future, and the rabies thing is a very valid point.
Those are my thoughts

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
I have to agree with you all.

He defended himself and daughter against 3 wild dogs.

He did what most of us here would have done!

Put it to sleep. No good can come to go any further.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »
Everyone has a right to their opinion.    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
Yes they do! ;D

Offline TBI

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
Horrible incident.  But isn't that what guns are for? Self defense! Imagine if he didn't have a gun.  Might be a good time to teach his daughter why it is important to carry a weapon and how horrible the results can be even when the weapon is used in self defense. Guns aren't toys.  Used properly they can save lives but in doing so there is always a consequence.  Its always sad when something dies but the salient concept here is self preservation.

Offline Packard

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »
In addition to a firearm I carry with me at all times a high potency pepper spray canister.  It was designed to use against humans and is much more powerful than needed to deal with dogs (and a bigger problem near my home, coyotes).

There are times when you can feel endangered but the situation has not yet reached the level that would allow you to draw your firearm, and seems beyond your capabilities as a fighter.  In those situations the pepper spray is ideal (provided it is legal in your state).

Avoid the key chain versions (they spray only about 6 feet); get the mid-sized ones (about 1" in diameter x 5").  The mid-sized ones spray about 12 feet.

I also recommend that you purchase one or two "inert" versions for practice aiming.  They cost almost as much as the real one but they don't smell.

At this point you have no option but to keep quiet.  By waiting  this long you probably are in violation of some ordinance.  The police will (properly) question the delay.

The bigger issue is the welfare of the child who may need counselling.

Offline TpaBayFlyFisher

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »
As a lawyer, there is only one thing to do.  Call your lawyer and then follow his or her instructions.  The laws of each state and or various counties differ.  What is OK in one may well be improper in another [anyone from Cali can confirm that!].  I for one would not lose much sleep over defending one's self and child from a wild animal attack.

Offline park245

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
My advice...

1. Make sure the daughter understands why he took the action that he did and assure her that he would never harm an animal unless he was protecting her.

2. Open up a brewski, kick back and relax... and thank God he had a Sig Sauer with a full magazine.

3. Go to the range and try to figure out why he didn't put down that third dog in the initial volley.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
Great advice; I am curious to know what has evolved on this but didn't want to ask because it is best left alone except for the daughter's psychological and emotional well being.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:42:58 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »
My advice...

3. Go to the range and try to figure out why he didn't put down that third dog in the initial volley.

Your first two assessments sound good, but I beg to differ with you on this third one.

First of all he had ten or more things going through his mind at the time, not to mention the adrenaline factor.
Adrenaline affects us all differently.
I've been fortunate in the outcomes in my experiences and it seems that this man came out very well, especially  shooting at moving targets!

Range time won't prove a thing.  
Whether that "third" dog was actually shot first, second, or last doesn't matter.  
Maybe he was concentrating on the target and not sights.  Not uncommon in a life-threatening situation.
Maybe the excitement /adrenaline caused trigger jerk, or not a proper hold, again not uncommon for the circumstance.

No, my hat goes off to the man for a job well done.

He and his daughter made it home unharmed.

I just hope and pray the child is not emotionally scarred for life over this.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:05:28 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 07:27:52 PM »

You're right about the reason to go to the range but going to the range isn't a bad idea. When some of my good friends didn't return to the Maru, the Navy always sent us back to flying soon after--life goes on.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »
I agree about going to range afterwards.

I just don't agree with the reasoning stated.

Something about an acted upon altercation always gave me incentive for range time.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 09:24:43 PM »
Nothing to add apart from an observation: I think the sensitivity and concern expressed in this string is something for which we can collectively take pride.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 10:16:44 PM »

Great observation.

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
As a retired State Trooper,  I have to agree with the assessments made by Park245.    When he focused on the front sight the only thing that should be going through his mind is squeeze and then shoot move shoot move till they're all down.   What he probably needs practice in is transitioning from target to target while shooting.  That's a hard technique to learn because most people shoot before they have stopped moving causing a miss or they start to move before their shot follow through is complete.

I think if his daughter was doing a Fay Wray impression from King Kong then maybe he needs to do some more advanced education because she should have known they were in trouble with the dogs and that good old Dad would take care of it.  Also in no situation is hollering and screaming very effective behavior regardless of age.  I know she was afraid but even at an early age she should be taught to deal with it. Good Christian moral person or not, the next thing is to make sure the daughter or wife never mention it to anyone.  Kick back and relax.    He cleaned up the scene, policed his brass and if possible go back and make sure he thought of everthing and brush the ground so it doesn't look like a dog graveyard.  I apologize if I don't seem very sensitive about things but after 27 years as a Trooper I'm a little jaded. 

I'm a dog owner and my dog is my therapist/best buddy as well as being very big and intimidating, loud and scary.   But she never has harmed anyone or anything.  She is always at my side and when away from our residence is always on a leash because we have a leash law and I don't want her to dart across the street when she sees a squirrel.  Only at the local dog park does she go leash free and then she won't get very far away from me.  I think sometimes people over react to animals but in this case I don't think so.   I also don't think he shouldn't invite scrutiny by those who might be looking for an axe to grind or an issue that they can use to help at election time.    No people were involved, his life and that of his daughter were jeopardized and he did the right thing.   He doesn't need anyones official stamp of approval.   If someone comes along asking questions later, just keep his mouth shut and refuse to answer any questions and it will slowly disappear.   No harm no foul.   Call it good but don't call 911.
You don't know what you'll get in response.  It could be a new rookie or an old fogey like me.   If it's a rookie he may have to call a supervisor for a decision or he may be  looking to make a name for himself.   Almost all those scenarios are bad.   Let it go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:26:16 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms