Author Topic: R9 vs PM9  (Read 9849 times)

Offline norfdet893

R9 vs PM9
« on: May 26, 2004, 10:43:18 PM »
Ok, I have to start the thread...how does the R9 compare to the PM9..I have a PM9 and as I remember it weighs in at about 15oz, that is roughly 2 oz heavier than the R9. However, the PM9 is almost half the price and has proven reliable and has sights (also nite sights)..Is it worth the money for an R9 if you already have a PM9? Does anyone know how much larger the PM9 is than the R9?

These questions and more need to be answered...lol

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: R9 vs PM9
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:54:05 PM »
norfdet ---- welcome . :)

I have not tried a PM9 .. but here is a pic to show approx comparisons between ... KT P-11 and P3-AT .. doesn't answer your question but maybe gives further useful info.  I think the PM9 is about same footprint .. IIRC.

I have heard .. forget where .... but someone was commenting re the mag release on the Kahr .... and some softness of plastic which could result in a mag release failiure.  Others may know more than I.

I don't mind plastic ..... but have to say .. with R9 - I LOVE metal ... particularly high precision engineered good qual metals.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:05:54 AM »
I own a PM9 and have an R9s on order.  There are some comparison photos in this forum one of which has side by side photo of the R9 and PM9.  The R9 is quite a bit smaller and much thinner.

I bought my PM9 to replace my Kel-Tec P3AT.  I pocket carried the PM9 for a while and then went back to the P3AT.  The PM9 is just a bit too bulky for me.  I guess I was spoiled by the size of the Kel-Tec.  The R9s will replace the Kel-tec.  The R9s is just slightly larger that the P3AT (there is also a comparison photo of the R8s and P3AT on this forum).

The PM9 is not the most reliable pistol I own.  Even after a trip back to Mass. I still have to occasionlly give a little push to the back of the slide to get it into battery.  I do like it though but wish I has bought the all steel Kahr.  I think  it is the MK9.

wilco

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:55:47 AM »
The steel framed Kahr is MUCH heavier, like 9 ozs, so it's for practice, not pocket carry.  The Rorbauch will never TOUCH the P3At's market.  The Keltec is $300, and 9 ozs, and the R9 is about 3x the price. Soon, used P3AT's will be readily findable for $200, while the R9 will probably never sell for less than $600.  So only the very serious ccw man will be getting the R9.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 12:06:28 PM by wilco »

Offline norfdet893

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 11:24:58 PM »
anyone tried shooting rounds like the Golden Saber 147gr? I have found that if a pistol will feed that round than it will feed anything. It seems that the cor-bon 90gr rounds would be a good one for the this pistol. is it rated for +p and +p+ rounds? the cor-bon seemed like a shorter round than most.

Offline norfdet893

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:26:44 PM »
i have never liked the european magazine releases..does the rohrbaugh have an american release or any plans for one. it's probably that way to keep the size down.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 11:37:39 PM »
Wilco:
I agree that the R9 will not impact the Kel-Tec market but do believe a lot of Kel-Tec owners will buy a Rohrbaugh.  If you become accustomed to the size of the Kel-Tecs AND appreciate a quality piece of workmanship, the Rohrbaugh is a natural choice.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 12:44:59 AM »
norfdet ....... no, the R9 is std vel ammo only ... no +P or +P+.  I haven't tried the heavier Golden saber but the 124 grain impresses me .. very tight vel tolerances and it makes 275 ft lbs out of the R9 .. at 1,000 fps nom.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

wilco

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 03:30:54 PM »
I can get  275 ft lbs with reloads in P3AT, and have some real expanion of the jhp.  Pull Win Silvertip 85 gr jhp's, reload them to 1200 fps. Need a locked breech, and I'd prefer to use it in a Star DK  SA 380 auto. 6" and 15 ozs.

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 11:21:44 PM »
I like the Euro mag release on a pocket/deep concealmnt gun.