Author Topic: A Big Thanks!  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Wayne

• Expert
A Big Thanks!
« on: February 13, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »
Until today, I have been a "lurker" here on the site, probably since last October when I first found out about the R9 in American Handgunner.

I am by no means an expert on handguns, but I know that I have benefitted immeasureably by the excellent information and perspective that you fine people have shared on this forum.  It is in this spirit of sharing that I would like to share my Rohrbaugh experience with all of you.

My R9 arrived at my FFL holder on Friday at 11:02AM.  At 11:48AM, I was there, opening the FedEx package, and most likely, standing in a pool of my own drool.  I don't rember exactly what I was doing at the office when I decided "it would keep 'till Monday", but I know I was smiling during the drive! ;D

When I finally got to actually hold the "new addition", I couldn't believe how it was put together, so precise, so tight, so well made.  Now I have read some of the same comments from others on this site, but those words just don't do it justice.  Those of you who have these technical marvels on order are really in for a treat!  Like you first love, or your first day of school, you will remember the first time you held your very own!

Upon inspecting my new R9S, I noticed the slide stamp indicated "R9", not "R9S" (yes, it has sights).  Not knowing why this was the case, I dropped Eric an email at 4:30PM.  When I re-checked my e-mail later that night, Eric had responded and asked for a phone number.  This was on a Friday night.  Saturday at 10:00AM, Eric called me at my home to talk to me about my question! :D

Again, I'm not a firearms expert, not a gun magazine writer, I'm not a media consultant.  Heck, at times, I'm not even influential in my own family  ;).  Nonetheless, here was a guy that took the time to call a "regular guy" customer (on a Saturday even) and offer up his time.

Sorry for the verbosity, but I felt compelled to offer my thanks, both to the members of this forum for the wealth of information that has been made available, and to Eric, for his time and consideration (not to mention this wonderful invention ;) ).   Don't ever think your time and effort are not appreciated.  I encourage the other "lurkers" to join and share their experiences, as well.

I'm sure I'll have more information to share once my superlube gets here.  I'm hesitant to dirty my "new addition" without the means to clean it properly after shooting.  Hopefully, that will happen this week.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
A Big Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 04:03:05 AM »
>>Eric and company are building their business the same old fashioned way they build their guns...one at a time.  We are fortunate indeed to be in on the ground floor of their existence...something which will hold great value in the years to come...TW<<

Offline sharp

• Expert
Re: A Big Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 11:23:47 AM »
Upon inspecting my new R9S, I noticed the slide stamp indicated "R9", not "R9S" (yes, it has sights).  Not knowing why this was the case, I dropped Eric an email at 4:30PM.  When I re-checked my e-mail later that night, Eric had responded and asked for a phone number.  This was on a Friday night.  Saturday at 10:00AM, Eric called me at my home to talk to me about my question! :D

Wayne,
I'm curious as to Eric's reply as to your R9S being stamped "R9".  Mine is the same and I've been wondering about why........??
Jeff

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 06:55:54 PM »
Jeff,

The way Eric explained it to me, it was his intent to differentiate the R9 on the basis of one being a slick top versus one having a set of sights.  Thus, "R9S" was stamped on the slide for the one with the sights, and "R9" on the one without.  Seemed pretty harmless.

Having shipped some marked "R9S", he got a visit from the state police who informed him that he was only licensed in New Yort to manufacture the model "R9".  As I understand it, the police were pretty cool about it and advised him he would be better off to stick to the model they were licensed to make.  At that point, there were no more slides stamped "R9S".

I don't know exactly how many have the "R9S" stamp on the slide.  Here is a post of Mr_Jody_Hudson selling his with the rare slide and someone mentioned there was only 46 or so of them in existence:

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Classifieds;action=display;num=1106325442

Wish I had the extra money.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 10:38:56 PM »
I've got SN 131, and now I want to go and look at my slide. The more I think about it, I should simply stick my gun in my safe and buy another for carry.

I only have 2 guns with a low serial number--my Rohrbaugh and my Guardian 380 (SN 51). I've had my Guardian heavily customized, so whatever collector's value it had for having a low serial number is most likely destroyed. But, the Rohrbaugh, well that's different.

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 02:00:06 PM »
George,

I was originally looking for one that was produced at the Farmingdale factory.  From the top of his head, Eric guessed that there were only about 300, maybe up to 350 run out of that first facility.  Regardless of whether or not you have the "S" on the slide, you have an original "Farmingdale".

Although mine has the Farmingdale stamp on the slide, it is numbered in the mid-400 range.  Eric has indicated that he still has some slides from Farmingdale, but they are being consumed in new production.  When all of the Farmingdale-made slides are gone, the new stamp will be on the slide.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 02:48:10 PM »
Well now ,just leave it to the state police!!!!!!   Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus