Author Topic: R9 Orphan can't come home!  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member & Cert. Pistol Instructor
R9 Orphan can't come home!
« on: December 22, 2004, 10:36:41 AM »
I did it. Bought a R9 and its at my FFL but I can't bring it home because it is not approved for sale in Maryland yet by the handgun board and they don't meet again till Feb. 16. Can you feel my pain? :'(
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline sharp

• Expert
Re: R9 Orphan can't come home!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:21:22 PM »
I did it. Bought a R9 and its at my FFL but I can't bring it home because it is not approved for sale in Maryland yet by the handgun board and they don't meet again till Feb. 16. Can you feel my pain? :'([/quo

If they don't approve it I'll take it off your hands! ;D

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 01:46:36 PM »
Stay in touch, I might have to if they turn it down.
No matter how you struggle and strive, you will never get out of this world alive.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 01:55:32 PM »
Newt,
Does your State have the "drop" test and all that other crapola? I would think that your FFL would not have been able to accept it without "approval" of some type from the powers that be..
When I registered mine in MI,they did not have a designation # for the R9-but approved anyways.. ;D
I wish you the best and I don't know how long you have waited, but whats a couple more months.. ;)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 02:14:20 PM »
Hi Brenden, Any handgun made after 1/1/85 must be brought to the MD. handgun board for examination and determination of certain characteristics such as "concealability,ballistic accuracy,weight,quality of materials,quality of manufacture,reliability as to safety,caliber,detectability by standard security equipment commonly used at airports and courthouses,utility for legitimate sporting activities,selfprotection,or law enforcement." The board is not supposed to place undue consideration on any one characteristic. I am a Benefactor Member of the NRA and I have never seen a double life member, howed ya get that?

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 02:25:58 PM »
Newt,
I figured there was some extra Hoops there.. ;)

As far as the "double life" Just next step up from Life which if Endowment..Since you are a Benefactor you are a Quadruple Lifer   :D  (Patron being a Triple )

Just my way to pique an interest in the leading gun rights org in the world.. :)

Good luck in the approval process..
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 03:35:07 PM »
This is a prime example of gun control!!  Don't doubt for a minute that they aren't working daily,(in all states) to further restrict us...  This situation with Brendon really brings it home...  Thanks for listening,  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline Newt

• Master
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 04:15:17 PM »
You are right Jim. I think it is unconstiutional to keep me from owning a lawfully manufactured product. But in the "Peoples Republic of Maryland" the government decides whats best for you to own.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 12:32:37 AM »
>>I spent quite a few childhood years being raised in Maryland.  The day I went to apply for my CCW I told myself how happy I was with myself for moving from Maryland, to VIRGINIA...where it is a RIGHT to own and carry, not a PRIVILEGE, a la Maryland.  Also - none of this approval crap in Virginia.  Last year Virginia became even more gun friendly than before - doing away with the 3 day wait and similar issues.  FYI...there are still a few homes left for sale here in Virginia.  Yeppers.

Seriously, good luck with getting your R9 and sooner than later...!...TW<<

Offline FireBreather01

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 02:03:59 AM »
Newt - I guess the grass can be 'browner' on the other side of the fence - I live in Wiskonsin where the governor believes we law-abiding citizens would instantaneously shoot up little league games, malls, and churches (yes, he actually said those things) if we got a concealed carry law passed. The over-ride of his veto failed by 1 vote - and that was cast by a democrat rep who actually co-sponsored the CCW legislation, wrote editorials in support of it, and then disavowed it under threats by the dishonorable gov. Jim Doyle.

Anyway, at least I don't have to go before whatever board you have to approve of my purchases - we would all be on a first name basis! Good luck with this one. If you can't beat it -find a way around it!
Attitude is Everything
NRA Lifer, Instructor

Offline Jim

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 12:25:53 PM »
Hey T.W., isn't open carry legal in Virginia??  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline TW

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 12:54:31 PM »
Hey T.W., isn't open carry legal in Virginia??  Jim

>>Hi Jim...

Yes, open carry is legal in Virginia.  Still, it used to be that certain townships and countys banned CCW and/or open carry...but then with this past years' gun friendly revamp legislature in Virginia - all that was overridden **GRINS**

Back to open carry...  Even though it is legal here in Virginia - doesn't mean you won't be stopped and questioned by the Law.  Some folks have preformed open carry just to press their rights...which has not been well received by the local media.  Personally I feel such activity - "just for the heck of it"...may bring unwanted attention to our rights.  As it is fairly easy to obtain a CCW around here - I would just as soon go with that and keep my guns to myself, unless needed.  Anyone have any thoughts about this to express...as in...expressing your rights with open carry vs. CCW...?...TW<<
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 12:55:51 PM by TW »

Offline Newt

• Master
  • NRA Benefactor Member &amp; Cert. Pistol Instructor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 01:31:03 PM »
I think you are right TW, open carry will cause otherwise nonconcerned citizens alarm at seeing a gun to panic or to get involved in the issue negatively. Conceal your gun and be safe not alarming the uninformed and uneducated into action against your current rite to carry.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 07:04:17 PM »
The two sides to this carry issue are such that it is, can be - quite a contentious issue.

I am in the concealed camp - much as anything because I think it maintains an effective deterrant possibility - no one knows, but BG's do know - ''he could be''!!  It is also (regretably) something which is more ''diplomatic''.

The other side of this coin tho is loss of rights ... or erosion if you will.  The open carry camp does make the point - usefully IMO - that unless a right is used and seen to be used then, the average observer will not see it and so it will further the anti cause - almost by default.  Hard to explain.

It means - if folks do see guns openly then - if it is legal and they can accept it without paranoia - it is more likely to be a maintained right.  Danger with only concealed is that sheeple are more and more used to never seeing guns and accept that as ''norm'' - but then when they do catch sight of one - it's hysteria .. ''a gun - a gun'' !!

I run the diplomacy route but - I can see the other side too.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 07:39:26 PM »
If you really want to further your rights, give people the chance to get to know you first, and then to judge guns by what they know of you.  The last thing you want is for them to prejudge you by what they erroneously believe about guns.

Be very careful about open carry.  There are two big legal hazards.

1)  In many states, the definition of plain sight is narrowed beyond any common sense, so that anything short of a neon sign on your head saying "gun here" will be considered to be concealed.  I have even read caselaw saying that "concealed" was not a critical element of the offense and therefore did not have to be improved, in clear violation of basic principles of statutory interpretation.  Even if it is wrong, you don't want to be the poor fool whose liberty is in jeopardy while you explain this to the court.

2)  You run the risk of being arrested and charged with something along the lines of disorderly conduct.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.