Author Topic: Kimber SOLO, day two at the range  (Read 3856 times)

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
Kimber SOLO, day two at the range
« on: April 03, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Another good day on the shooting range.  Took the SOLO out for round two.  Another flawless performance with the recommended ammo.  Just for grins I started out with some Georgia Arms 115 gr FMJ.  Now remember, Kimber is very clear about the SOLO not being made for this type of ammo.  Recommended is the premium 124/147gr JHP.  So, I thought what the heck, and sure enough, first magazine had a FTE/FTF on the third round.  I immediately switched to the old leftover Federal Hi Shock, 115 gr JHP.  Had 10 rounds left and on the final round (after one mag of 5 worked fine), the slide didn’t lock back.  Then I used up the rest of some Winchester 115 gr JHP, white box, 20 rounds, and all shot fine and slide locked on last rounds.  Then I shot a couple other guns (I’ll write about later), and before leaving I ran 25 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 124 gr JHP through it, and everything worked great.  Real pleased with the gun.  Oh, and carried it in the same holster while out and about and this time the magazine didn’t release inadvertently.   I’ll post more later, but just wanted to say, the SOLO is continuing to function perfectly when running the recommended ammo.  I’m going to order some Remington 124 gr FMJ ~$13.95/50, and see how it does.  More range report later today, I got Azaleas to plant….   ::)
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: Kimber SOLO, day two at the range
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:49 PM »
Thanks for the update. Have fun gardening! ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
Good session, Toad; thanks!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josey Wales

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
In my best Elvis,  Thank you sir! ;D
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:21:28 PM »
Toad, good repot all the way around, glad the mag stayed seated this time.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:40:06 PM »
Just ordered a large variety of 124-147 gr, lower priced, training ammo.  I'll find a low cost round that works then let everyone know.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 11:33:54 AM »
Another good day on the shooting range.

What did the kimber cost?

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Skunk, here is Toads post when he got the Kimber.

Well, seeing as how Toads are impatient critters by nature, I purchased a Solo today ($675 at a nearby store that I do a lot of business with).  I will post pix of it side by side with the R9 later on this evening.  Tomorrow I'm going to thoroughly wring it out and see what it will do, with a range report to follow of course.  Fingers are crossed....  It's a beautiful gun...but aesthetics don't count in a gunfight...the proof will be in the performance.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:41:57 PM »
Skunk, here is Toads post when he got the Kimber.

Well, seeing as how Toads are impatient critters by nature, I purchased a Solo today ($675 at a nearby store that I do a lot of business with).  I will post pix of it side by side with the R9 later on this evening.  Tomorrow I'm going to thoroughly wring it out and see what it will do, with a range report to follow of course.  Fingers are crossed....  It's a beautiful gun...but aesthetics don't count in a gunfight...the proof will be in the performance.

Ya I paid $700 for a Sig p232, and it's absolutely worthless. It double feeds and the service depr sees noproblem

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
Dang Skunk…wish you would have asked The Toad first…had one of those overpriced boat anchors….too big for a .380….the Kel Tec P3AT does the trick if you want that caliber…  Get a R9 and never be disappointed again….I do like the Kimber…but if I had to choose between the two…R9 wins.  Just got a batch of ammo (low cost target stuff) to try in the Kimber and I’ll find one that works so all will know…don’t get me wrong….the Kimber works with the recommended ammo…trust me I know….but my R9 has worked with everything I have shoved down it’s throat…  Stay on this forum…Great Americans and Great Advice…
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
Finally getting a chance to clean the Kimber.  Just in time to take it out this weekend and try a variety of 124-147 gr target ammo.  This little gun is a breeze to dissasemble and clean.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »

Hey, Toad, we're looking forward to your Solo range report.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »
Since we haven't heard from him for a while, he might be in Asscrackastan or who knows where.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »

Uncle Sugar calls quite often these days.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:07:42 AM »
Since we haven't heard from him for a while, he might be in Asscrackastan or who knows where.

I'm sure Toad gets called somewhere rather quickly!
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln