Author Topic: Squared trigger guard  (Read 7689 times)

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
Squared trigger guard
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:40:32 PM »
Just a thought. Would a squared trigger guard with checkering / serrations  be ridiculous?

Seems to me, it would add to control of the firearm.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Squared trigger guard
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 12:29:42 AM »
Bill - short answer -  NO!!!

Why? - simply because this would suggest you have it in mind to place weak hand forefinger round a squared front guard  - BAD!!

I find that in IDPA and even less rapid disciplines - folks who try this screw up lateral control - because of the bias induced by the finger.  may seem to add control but IMO - not useful.  Way better i think to practice a suitable std grip with both hands and don't let fingers go forward of grips.

Might just be me but others do tend to think similarly in competition.  For SD maybe not so critical but - I sure don't want to pull shots to side if possible.!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Billmack

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 10:53:33 AM »
Chris,

Good point (s).

Thank you.

Bill

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 11:01:11 PM »
My friend Chris speaks truth!   (My friend RJ has even been known to round off the squared trigger guard of a Glock).  ;D
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
edRe: Squared trigger guard
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 11:50:44 AM »
A round Trigger Guard on a Glock is a huge improvement, for me.     Also, the rounding off of the Square guard on the early 59/69 series S&W is nice..  but requires refinishing :(
RJ=

Offline kn308

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
the original purpose of the squared off serrated trigger guard was to press against a barrier for stability.

Offline pdxrandy

• Lover of life,CRAFTSMANS HIP,fine cigars,my wife
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 05:01:18 PM »
I guess it is a matter of personel choice.  I was taught the Weaver stance and have a finger around the front of the trigger guard.  My 1911's have square checkered trigger guards and the front of my Mdl-19 Smith is checkered. For me, I have been doing it that way for well over thirty years and my muscle memory is not gonna change!  Kinda along the line "if it ain't broke ya' can't fix it".

Big frame revolvers like Pythons and N frame Smiths I wrap both hands around the grip and don't put the finger on the trigger guard.

As for doing this to a small pocket auto, probably not needed, IMHO only!

Best,
~Randy

Offline shakermountain

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:33 PM »
Randy what part of PDX are you at? I'm NW

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:13:02 PM »
I like seeing these "old" threads dredged up!!

Let's ya know that someone is out there reading the info!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
Bill - short answer -  NO!!!

Why? - simply because this would suggest you have it in mind to place weak hand forefinger round a squared front guard  - BAD!!

I find that in IDPA and even less rapid disciplines - folks who try this screw up lateral control - because of the bias induced by the finger.  may seem to add control but IMO - not useful.  Way better i think to practice a suitable std grip with both hands and don't let fingers go forward of grips.

Might just be me but others do tend to think similarly in competition.  For SD maybe not so critical but - I sure don't want to pull shots to side if possible.!

Wow...I didnt teach all those years for nothing.  The word finally got out somewhere.   Just trying to keep people from putting a finger up there is a major understaking of the first water miracle.   The original squared trigger guard was NOT designed to press against a barricade or cover, it was designed to put your finger up there, way back in the day. In those days at Big Bear when Cooper and friends began practical shooting there was no such thing as barricades or cover.   I believe Armand Swenson can be credited with that and lots of people want checkered guards ever since as well as hooked and squared.   I've done them myself when building guns, much to my current dismay.   But 6 years running the program for the state taught me how hard it is to keep people from doing it.  It harms control.   Way to go, Chris.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:54:02 AM »
You say it harms control?

Maybe it does - in some people.

but not all.

Not all pull their shots.

I for one shoot better with "poor" hand placement.

I admit in public that I am a dreaded triggergaurd finger rester puller shooter.   And I like it.  And I know it's wrong.  

Go ahead and flame away.

I've held my own and won my share of championships.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE