Author Topic: holster or scabbard for the car?  (Read 9159 times)

Offline Bgpixelman

holster or scabbard for the car?
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
I love my new R9 and appreciate the collective wisdom of this group. So far I have the magazine extensions and a IWB holster from Meco.

Does anyone have any tips of suggestions for a scabbard/holster for the car? Something that attaches under the seat, etc?

I live in KY and have a carry and conceal license.
Thanks.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: holster or scabbard for the car?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:04:30 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.

Here is one possibility that may be of interest:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/products/universal-vehicle-handgun-holster-mount/
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:31:55 PM »
Bgpixelman.  Welcome.  Congrats on your R9.  The above seems like a good idea and for another option give Robert Meco a call or email.  He may can make what you need.

http://mecopocketholsters.com/
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:44 PM »
I love that idea Richard.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:48:56 AM »
I love that idea Richard.

Reinz:

My first thought was, "Why didn't I think of that?" It has to be a would-be car hijacker's worst nightmare.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »

It has to be a would-be car hijacker's worst nightmare.

Ah yes!   ;D

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »
Great idea. How does this rig comply with concealed carry requirements in general? Below is part of the applicable law in Texas regarding vehicles, for example.

PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits
an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries
on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the
person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's
control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned
by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly,
or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a
motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's
control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor
that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(8) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section

"In Texas the gun must be concealed in a car with or without a Texas CHL."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:43:29 PM by tracker »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
Great idea. How does this rig comply with concealed carry requirements in general?

Tracker:

That is an excellent point. There is no problem with anyone who holds a Handgun Carry Permit here in Tennessee employing such a device in his or her vehicle. However, as you note, state laws vary on the subject. Those with carry permits from other jurisdictions should verify their local requirements. If local law requires total concealment of the firearm, this device would need to be adapted so as to be completely out of view -- i.e., out of sight under the dash or in a console.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:12:41 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »
Legality notwithstanding I think that I would have my hands above my shoulders if stopped by law enforcement and a gun were strapped underneath the steering column.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:14:29 PM by tracker »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:23 PM »
Tracker, being a Texan as well, as I ran my errands today I kept thinking about that holster/holder and kept looking under the steering column of of my truck to see if it would work.

I believe it would work, however I don't think it would pass the sniff test of LE.  For me to be comfortable, I would rig some sort of a towel or cloth with velcro "concealing " the item at hand.

I'm still thinking of options......

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »

I am glad this subject appeared on the forum. This particular issue has always been a question mark and now it is quite clear.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
This post would qualify as a footnote to this thread if footnotes were possible under the Forum's stucture.

I have never understood, from a LEO's point of view, the advantage of requiring a firearm to be totally concealed in a vehicle, e.g., during a traffic stop. Whenever I am pullled over for whatever reason -- and, yes, I have had a couple of speeding tickets here in Tennessee -- I immediately place my "particulars" as we used to call them in Africa (driver license, vehicle registration, insurance certificate, and handgun carry permit), on the dash board, electronically roll down all windows in the vehicle, place both hands on the steering wheel in the 10 and 2 positions, and await instructions from the officer(s).

On one occasion, even after inspecting my carry permit, the officer did not even ask if I had a weapon in the vehicle. On another, almost as an afterthought, the officer (a young deputy sheriff) asked what handgun I had and where it was located. At the time, back around 2003, I was carrying a Guardian .380 and had it stowed in the glove compartment, since I was going to be entering a courthouse when I reached my destination. I explained all of that to the officer and asked him if he wanted to retrieve the pistol while he ran my "particulars" through the computer system. He said, "I suppose I should," went around to the passender side, reached through the window, opened the glove box, and retrieved the Hedley-holstered G380.

After "vetting" me, the officer handed back my "particulars," my pistol, and the expected and deserved speeding ticket. He then smiled and said: "You might want to ease off a little on that rocket. And by the way, that's a nice holster on that pistol of yours."

State laws vary on protocols for holders of carry permits during traffic stops. Be sure you know your state's requirements in that regard.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:51:40 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I was stopped for speeding between Dallas and Houston on I-45 by a Texas Highway Patrolman. As described above I did all of the required items and he asked if I had a weapon. I said, "yes, sir." He then asked me to tell him where it was located without pointing to it and I said that it was in my right front pocket.[really handy]

Very professionally, he said that he was issuing me a written warning which would be expunged in three years, and, "have a nice day." The weapon was an R9 in a Hedley holster, also.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:57:19 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Had the same experience in Ga. a few months back and wasn't so lucky; so we won't talk about that (speeding).    :(  In NC, the weapon has to be visible to the LEO when he is looking in the car window; that's without a concealed carry permit.  With one, the weapon can be concealed; just have to tell him you have a concealed weapon.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bgpixelman

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
My cousin is in law enforcement and he just found this DeSantis model. http://www.lapolicegear.com/desantis-kingston-carseat-holster.html
Thanks for all the interest and replies!