Author Topic: Computer question  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Computer question
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »
I'm getting tired of fighting the Windows PC system and thinking about switching to Mac system have many forum members felt the same way? Do you like Apple products?  Thanks for any info...Jack
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Computer question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
I did the same last April, and love it. The only issue that I had was I need windows for work so I run a program called Parrelles and run a virtual windows desk top. I believe that it is the best of both world, and it seems that most windows stuff runs better because of the 'clean' install and no B.S. in there. I am not a computer expert but I can figure it out. There is a learning curve for MAC, but the Apple store will teach you for free. The biggest problem I had was the price tag of the MAC, I could buy 4 pc's for the price of my MAC.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »
I was dragged into the 21st Century world of the Apple iPhone by my wife and daughter and am increasingly impressed by the varied capabilities of that little device even though mine is only a basic "4" model.  For word processing, though, I still prefer a PC to a Mac -- just as long as the PC doesn't have Windows 8 installed.  Microsoft has hung so many extraneous "bells and whistles" on Windows 8 that I find it a pain in the backside to use.  I'm purchasing one of the few new PCs still available that come with Windows 7. 

My personal preference in a PC operating system remains the old reliable Windows XP introduced, if memory serves, back around 2001.  But Microsoft in its commercial "wisdom" has determined to cease providing extended support for that program in April of next year.

And what I think about Adobe, which has been adopted for mandated use by the Federal court system, cannot be expressed in polite company.  Once you pay the outrageous price for Adobe systems and install them on your computer, it seems that you have to install some update or another about every other time you boot up your system.  Then there is the question of "user friendliness."  In that regard, I find Adobe to be right down there with MS DOS.

Finally, I perfectly hate the built-in obsolescence for equipment and software that is forced upon us as consumers by the IT industry these days.

Rant mode off.   >:(

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
After a 13 hour phone call to Dell in India four years ago I purchased an iMac 20 inch screen, 2.66 GHz processor with 2 GB 800MHz DDR2 SSDRAM. I still use Microsoft Word, MSN E-Mail, and many other Windows features. Although I had never backed up data before I recently purchased a G Drive slim USB 500GB hard drive storage module that is the size of an iphone and it backs up daily as an automatic function with "Time Machine", which is part of the iMac computer.

Now for the good part: recently, I purchased a RAM upgrade to 4 GB from "Crucial Memory." It cost $61 and was easily installed on the bottom of the computer by removing one screw, pulling out the 2 GB memory modules and sliding in the two 4GB cards. Voila, it now has blazing speed and there has never been a security issue, firewall purchase, or anything related to a corruption. Also, I just discovered an automatic software repair feature that I didn't know was there.   

I am a happy camper; however, I read that there will be a new iMac released later this year that will be another quantum leap. For now, this computer meets my needs and avoids all of the previous Dell PC issues.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:18:32 PM by tracker »

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
Due to the industry that I am in I have been using Macs since before they were "cool," back in the days when the company's future didn't look so good.  Having said that, I'm not a die hard mac fan either - in that we have both a PC and Mac here at home.  Since I use a Mac pretty much all day every day at work, I like coming home and using the same platform, hence having a Mac at home just seems to naturally make sense.  The Mac operating system is much easier to use and navigate since OS X came out in 2002.

There is no question about it that they are more expensive than a similarly spec'd windows machine, but I have found they hold their value quite well if/when you decide to sell and upgrade - the same cannot be said for most windows machines.

My mom has successfully made the switch over to Mac.  I lent her one of my older machines to test drive, and once she got used to it and found that she preferred it she went out and bought herself a Mac mini.  She also took classes at the local apple store to become more proficient in its use.

As someone else mentioned, I like having a local store - a place where you can go if you have questions or problems.  Granted now a days you often need an appointment due to the popularity of their various products. 

Offline JEFFPENE

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 11:48:49 AM »
I switched over to mac about 9 years ago. I was late  at becoming a computer owner and was very nervous about my first purchase.I ended up taking some sort of course on windows at the adult night school. By the time I bought a computer, may 6-7 months I forgot most  of what I was taught in the 12 week course.I worked (played) on the pc for 6-7 years or so.  All the time having many issues. Can not remember why i switched, but when  I did I was able to learn and do  more on my own with the GREAT support of the MAC support team in less then a year then I was capable of doing on the pc in the six years I use it
Go for it!
you will never look back.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 02:36:16 AM »
My iPhone has been my pocket office for 2 1/2 yrs So my first exposure to Apple is Great!

I have poured a lot of Money into antivirus programs that don't work and then repairs on my PC.

So I got an IPad.

Don't think I need a new computer now. I can use the old one for nonInternet and the Fast No virus IPad for the Net.

My next computer WILL BE an Apple.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE