Author Topic: Barret rifles and 1000yd shots  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Barret rifles and 1000yd shots
« on: January 02, 2006, 12:07:22 AM »
My uncle used to compete at shooting 1000yds -- his best group was 9 in 8" w. a flyer putting it out to 11" -- I think he said that the current guys are shooting ~6" group (After talking to my uncle, I realized why my father said "he doesn't miss.")  Can any of the 50 cals match this accuracy?  If they're accurate enough, I think that one of those 50 cal semi-autos would make a great Africa Rifle.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
Re: Barret rifles and 1000yd shots
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 06:07:50 AM »
    I don't know how the muscle and bone tissue of large game differs from that of a human and the differences in power needed to drop either, but I can tell you that the Barret .50 is catastrophic to humans.  Being in the military, I've seen videos come through e-mail showing various clips of Army snipers using the Barret to snipe Afghan snipers that were hiding in this hills around certain camps.  Let me just say that "one shot, one kill" is an understatement with this rifle.  Often times you can see large sections of the target's body flying off from the impact of the round (including arms and sometimes legs).  It is brutally powerful.

As for accuracy, I'm an admin troop, so I can't claim to have ever shot one of these.  However, I have a friend that is EOD (Bomb Squad) and they use the Barrets to "disable" IEDs from a safe distance.  From what he says, it is fairly easy to shoot the detonation devices (blasting cap, electronic detonator, etc.) out of a bomb without setting it off from several hundred yards.  So, take that as you will.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 06:18:11 AM by dfsutton »
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 08:14:35 PM »
Aglifter, I don't know if you can use or take a semi auto into most countries in Africa. You might check.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:35:33 PM »
All my buddy mentioned is that you're only allowed 4 guns -- I just saw some hollowpoint rounds of it in a local cabellas and thought that a 50 was the best caliber for Africa -- don't like the whole idea of having to worry about charges, etc -- my little brother keeps telling me I'm not sporting.  I'm just curious -- always like to get guns that the yoyos are trying to ban.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 10:20:17 AM »
Aglifter, I would just take a .416 Remington mag and a .300 wsm and have fun.
Tom

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 01:19:50 PM »
I took 1 rifle to Africa-a .375 H&H Improved. It's enough for dangerous game if you shoot it well. I took a Cape Buffalo with it.

However, if I could shoot a 40 caliber well, I'd follow Tom's advice. I'd perhaps take a 416 Rigby, since I like the rugged construction of the Ruger rifle chambered for it.  Once you've been close to a big Cape, you appreciate that bigger is better-IF you can shoot it well.
Welcome home

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 05:16:50 PM »
Dick, the .416 Remington has the same proformance as the .416 Rigby with a shorter action. Winchester makes a control round feed model 70 in this cal. And Ruger also makes a .404 Jeffrey.
Tom

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:29:04 PM »
Aglifter:

Good luck on your forthcoming trip to Africa!  My only advice would be that you should take no rifle, or handgun, to Africa which you are not willing to leave behind.  I lived and worked there for four years.  I left a lot behind.  There are many eyes watching you -- and your "stuff."

Don't get me wrong.  I love Africa . . . north, south, east, west, and central.  But being there brings an entirely new meaning to the concept of "travel light, travel far."  

Good hunting!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 08:37:53 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline rtw

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 09:55:37 PM »
Tom, The 416 Rigby is a favorite, nostalgic round-damn expensive to shoot, however. The 416 Rem or .404 calibers would be more practical. I like the .404 a lot. I prefer the rugged construction of the Ruger over the Winchester if I were buying new today. My .375 Imp. was built on a pre-64 Model 70 action. The old stock was modified and glass bedded to permit the altered metal and barrel to fit-giving me a "rough" condition stock.

The African bush can be hard on guns. Mine came back with several gouges in the stock. Richard's advice is good, common sense.
Welcome home