Author Topic: Finished a small project...........  (Read 1764 times)

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Finished a small project...........
« on: August 28, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
Ok after going to a private range last month or so I realized that I don't have a proper way to carry my pistols.  Taking them out of their plastic cases and wrapping them in red rags followed by stuffing in the range bag was not acceptable.  So I started a search for a proper pistol case that is functional and looks good.  Nothing I liked was found in the online gun part houses, so plan B was to make my own.

I remember how much I liked the aluminum brief cases the stars always seemed to carry on the old LA Law TV show and set out to find a Zero Halliburton case for a good price and convert it.  None to be found in local thrift/pawn/second hand stores.  Only avenue was buy a used one on the internet.  New one out of the price range ($500+ to start).  Ebay was hit and miss, low price + outrageous shipping = Nope.  Until last week and I found one.  Honest shipping and fair price, total < $100.  Got it yesterday in the mail.  Wanted a silver (aluminum finish) one, but settled for a black one.  Can't COSPLAY Victor Sifuentes or Arnie Becker with it, but I'm not into that anyway, LOL.

Trip to craft store to buy foam and cloth.  Thought I would spray glue the black crushed velvet to the foam to make the pads.  Glad I decided on the local seamstress.  Last night she sewed me up a fine pair of inserts.  I cleaned it up and am pretty happy with the results.  May get her to sew me another insert a little thinner, went with a 3 inch in the bottom and a 2 inch on the top.  When closed the contents are very tightly secured.  Might be a bit too tight, got enough velvet to do one more, just got to go grab some more foam and get another one made.

So do you think this is a befitting way to travel with the Rohrbaughs to the range?
(Or do I need to add a chain and a handcuff??)

CLICK to enlarge pictures.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 07:09:03 PM by MikeInTexas »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
Re: Finished a small project...........
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »
Now that is really nice!  Good work Mike.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
Looks nice.  Thanks for the idea.  I have a silver Zero with a ratty interior that could be my project case.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 10:18:34 PM »
Very nice!
That group of shooters deserves a fine tote.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »
PhilZ, if you decide to not make one and want to sell the case let me know.  Herself is eyeing this one with what I perceive as evil intent..............

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 08:13:16 AM »
Looking like you're "Good - To - Go" Michael! 

Nicely done good Sir.

ECR
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.