Author Topic: Kel Tec vs Ruger for small defense pistols  (Read 8578 times)

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
Kel Tec vs Ruger for small defense pistols
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
I need some experienced opinions about Kel Tec vs Ruger for small defense pistols.....380 and 9MM....I have guns from both companies but would like to hear other members experiences. Thanks
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
Re: Kel Tec vs Ruger for small defense pistols
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:23:35 PM »
Jack,

I chose the LCP over the P3AT but sold the LCP once I got my R9. My logic (if you can call it that) went like this:
Kel Tec is an innovative company and introducing the P3AT as the first mass-market pocket .380 was quite an accomplishment; however, after handling one I just could not get over how cheap it felt and my personal decision was that it wasn't something I wanted to trust my life with (others I'm sure feel differently). The Ruger LCP felt much more refined and did feel like a quality firearm so I purchased that. In the end supporting a blatant ripoff of Kel Tec's design kind of bothered me so I sold it and got an R9 which is far superior to either in terms of quality (and caliber). So with the R9 I got the quality and to support the company with an original product.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:03 PM »
Jack

My experience has not been a good one with Kel Tec. I would rather use it as a paper weight. Just my experience!

I have owned two Ruger LCP pistols, both have been flawless. 1 had to go in for a recall and it was returned in 4 weeks.

I no longer own either the Kel Tec or the Rugers. I use my Pup most of the time! :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
I need some experienced opinions about Kel Tec vs Ruger for small defense pistols.....380 and 9MM....I have guns from both companies but would like to hear other members experiences. Thanks

Chose the Ruger LCP just because of experience with other Ruger products; never any regrets; same with the LCP; no regrets.  The LCP was purchased after the recall.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
This sounds like a knock on Kel-Tec, which is not intended to be...  However, having owned both an LCP and a P-3AT -- I would go with the LCP.  Better fit and finish.  Equal or better factory support. 
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
This sounds like a knock on Kel-Tec, which is not intended to be...  However, having owned both an LCP and a P-3AT -- I would go with the LCP.  Better fit and finish.  Equal or better factory support.

I did not intend this to be a knock on Kel Tec. I have had several bad expierences with them. Three out of six of my Kel Tec's had to take a trip back to the factory. Once i received them back from the factory and they operated as they should, I sold them off shortly after that.

I know many people who carry them and have good luck with them, just not me.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:21:21 PM »
I own a P-3AT and like it quite well; very reliable. I had the feed ramp fluffed and buffed and bought a hard chrome slide for it. Kel Tec will ship parts to you usually at no charge which I don't think Ruger will do.
Ruger makes fine guns and I might have bought an LCP if I didn't own the Kel Tec. Below is a comparative range report from several years ago.

http://www.ccwreview.com/Articles.php?action=detail&g=content1211603211&pid=1016
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:45:29 PM by tracker »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
I bought a Kel Tec P32 at a gunshow shortly after they came out.  To be honest I bought it to see if it actually worked.  It functioned flawlessly and I was amazed.  Bought a used P 3AT a few years later and again I was pleased by the performance.  Hated the looks of both guns but they certainly fill a niche market well and performed.

I could not bring myself to buy a Ruger LCP after I saw it was a direct knockoff of Kel Tec.  I guess I just expected more out of Ruger.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:12:44 PM »
Jack,

I chose the LCP over the P3AT but sold the LCP once I got my R9. My logic (if you can call it that) went like this:
Kel Tec is an innovative company and introducing the P3AT as the first mass-market pocket .380 was quite an accomplishment; however, after handling one I just could not get over how cheap it felt and my personal decision was that it wasn't something I wanted to trust my life with (others I'm sure feel differently). The Ruger LCP felt much more refined and did feel like a quality firearm so I purchased that. In the end supporting a blatant ripoff of Kel Tec's design kind of bothered me so I sold it and got an R9 which is far superior to either in terms of quality (and caliber). So with the R9 I got the quality and to support the company with an original product.

-Ryan

Agreed...the R9 is currently the best pocket pistol.......I teach Ohio CCW  classes...most people I train don't have the money for a R9....I look for the "best possible for the least money" guns...I understand that everyone has their favorite for various reasons...I like to get opinons from this forum because members are very knowledgeable about a lot of guns ..thanks for all the replys so far.....
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
Agreed...the R9 is currently the best pocket pistol.......I teach Ohio CCW  classes...most people I train don't have the money for a R9....I look for the "best possible for the least money" guns...I understand that everyone has their favorite for various reasons...I like to get opinons from this forum because members are very knowledgeable about a lot of guns ..thanks for all the replys so far.....

I see where you are coming from now. Since most people probably have never heard of companies like Kel-Tec or Diamondback I would let them know what options are out there in that price range: Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard 380, Diamondback 380/9mm, Taurus TCP and let them make the choice. If they ask for which one you would pick tell them.

Of the ones I listed I would probably choose the S&W Bodyguard 380.

-Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline mz368

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
I have owned 2 LCP's and as Z said, both have been flawless.  For a lowwer cost 9mm, I have shot a friend's Diamondback DB9 and was impressed.  Sights are good and it has functioned flawlessly.  It is a little larger (but lighter) than the R9, and the quality is not the same, but if the R9 did not exist, I would likely get a DB9 based on my friend's experience.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »
I had one of the first LCPs and it worked flawlessly from day one, I sold it when I got my Kahr P-380 which was a step up and was also flawless from day one. I have never owned a Kel- Tec but have handled several at gun shows and because the fit and finish is so sub par to me I would not buy one. They may work great but they feel cheap.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »
I had one of the first LCPs and it worked flawlessly from day one, I sold it when I got my Kahr P-380 which was a step up and was also flawless from day one. I have never owned a Kel- Tec but have handled several at gun shows and because the fit and finish is so sub par to me I would not buy one. They may work great but they feel cheap.

Agreed they feel cheap.......I found the course  grip makes them easier to shoot than a smooth grip gun especially for new shooters.
NRA Life Member

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
The only other comparative item I would add to this discussion is the P-3AT has a trigger pull of ~ 4 1/2 ibs whereas the LCP is ~ 8 lbs. This difference could be meaningful to a beginning shooter.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:33:37 PM by tracker »

Offline Ljutic

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
Since S&W dropped their price on the Bodyguard, I'd recomend it over the LCP or P-3AT.  It's got better sights, safety if you want to use it, and laser if you want to mess with it.  I had a flawless performing LCP, but ended up trading it as part of my Pup payment. 
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com