Author Topic: Help With Customization(same as previous post)  (Read 24222 times)

Offline Phsimone

• Master
Help With Customization(same as previous post)
« on: January 03, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »
Good evening gents, Sorry no subject on that last post. I have received my newest Pup.  I am going to have a few things done to it, and I need some suggestions. I know some of this is personal taste but some of it is for the performance of the pistol. Firstly NP3 or hard chrome? I understand the NP-3 has certain advantages but is not as hard as hard chrome but hard chorme does not have the rust resistance that NP-3 has. To port or not to port? Dyna-port or by whom? Going to polish the trigger and smooth the radius a bit, does the ejector need attention or not. I like the site dots that John had done, I think they are all that are necessary in a gun made for this ones purpose. Polish up the mag release. I know the "Real Robar" had polished the hammer I believe, I think that might distract one from looking down the slide. Definitely checker the front grip, maybe the rear and the front of the trigger guard. I cringe at that number. CZ grips, Oh who should do the work? Who has done this kind of work on a Rohrbaugh before? Anything else, all suggestions, except silly ones are welcome,  what the hell silly is good, we all need a chuckle now and then. Thanks in advance guys and gals or whatever. Who knows what or who is out there in cyberland.  I do feel like I forgot something, like setting a budget and finding a way to pay for it without stirring the ire of the gods.
Thanks, Phil  
  Reply  Notify of replies  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: Help With Customization(same as previous post)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:35:39 PM »
Phil,
   Your list looks pretty good, you might want to consider stippling over checkering (less expensive)
 Robar or Hard Chrome ? I am very happy with the Robar and have a Colt Gold Cup done in Hard Chrome, either one would be good on the pup. My next pup will have something other than NP3 (just for variety)
  The sight dots are nice (not sure they would help in an SD situation but I wanted them)
  There will soon be a lot of options for grips. ;D
As far as who to do the work, the most experienced shop for Rohrbaugh custom is. Bob Cogan  http://www.apwcogan.com/

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks John, I know the checkering is much more than stippling, to me it is a much "neater" appearance on a very cleanly designed pistol. Just my opinion. How different from the original stainless slide is the NP-3 coated gunin appearance? Does it have a painted appearance? Your gun looks really nice. I have seen hard chromed guns and it seems you can get different levels of "brightness". Your opinion is highly valued so keep them coming. The sight dots, in a SD situation, which is the important thing here, I think that it may help to more quickly line up your target. Until one is in the heat of the situation who knows though, sometimes it may help, other times maybe not.
Phil

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
AP&W does great work. I have had two customized and they have my third.

40LPI checkering - front and rear strap
Hard chrome - matt rounds brushed flats
Ported
Yankee grip extension (shipping today)

These are the things that were important to me.
You have to decide what is important to you. Your gun. Your money. What will help if you need the pup to defend yourself.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:14:16 AM by wolverine_450 »

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
Your input is appreciated, why the hard chrome rather than np-3? I did notice when the original Robar guns were produced by Rohrbaugh some ejector work was done, not necessary?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
Phil.  I am considering the NP3 Robar coating and like it due to the coating of the internals.  I have talked to both individuals and they are super nice to talk to.

I wanted the hard chrome as I have seen the R9 Corey had and it was excellent; very hard decision.

John's, with the Robar coating, fires any ammo he puts in it, and I think he's now up to eight different brands, and it's so easy to clean, from what I'm told.

Good luck with your decision.  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
I dont have a preference on hard chrome or NP3. I guess it came down to a one stop shop. AP&W does not offer NP3.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
Just me, but if AP&W did the internals, I would have the hard chrome.  Wish they did.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:42:51 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
So, APW does not do the surfaces where the slide meets the frame? Why not? They cannot control the thickness of the hard chrome?

Offline Phsimone

• Master
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:29 PM »
You cannot mean that, sorry. You must be talking about some of the small parts that make up the operating system of the weapon. Some parts I understand, I will have to call.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »
Not too hard to understand.  I asked Bob if he did the internals and he said no, they were not set up to do that.  His words, not mine.

Offline Jack_F

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified instructor: Pistol,Rifle,Shotgun ,Muzzleloading-Pistol-Rifle-Shotgun,Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The home,Home Firearm Safety

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
OMG - Thats like painting a solid Cherry diningroom table. :o :o
  Sorry camo is fine for the Deer rifle and the Duck gun But never - never on a pup.

kj, maybe a good way to finish the Farmingdale. ;D ;D

Hey, but thats just me. ;D

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
John.  How dare you think such!    ;D  My Farmingdale!  NOOOOO!    ;D

ccoorreeyy

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »
I don't care for it but if you like it go for it.