Author Topic: Why is it R9 gets bashed?  (Read 23576 times)

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
Re: Why is it R9 gets bashed?
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »
This is a weird string. Started with why R9 gets bashed, (and I applaud R9 defenders), and now we are back to the Bugatti?

And you wonder why my posts are sometimes given toward idiocy?
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »

We're just having a bit of fun in February, ACP; I'm sure you can relate to that and no one has objected so far.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
Yep.  Just having lots of fun, here.  Been out most of the day.
Been celebrating my Mom's 92nd birthday and getting her driver's license renewed.  She did well, too, on the driving test.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
This is a weird string. Started with why R9 gets bashed, (and I applaud R9 defenders), and now we are back to the Bugatti?

ACP.  Where've you been?  You haven't been posting much lately.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
I did not enjoy the 944 bashing here!  >:( I've had a handful of them, and currently have a 944 race car.

But then again, I race the 944 because....... It's just a 944.  If I do something dumb, and roll it up into a ball, it was just a 944.

Gotta agree on the 911's quirky advantages.  I've got an early one that's been hot-rodded.  What a car!

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
Fantastic, KJ, and happy birthday to your amazing mother.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 10:31:55 PM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
The Gentleman from Texas.  Thanks!  It has been a good day!

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
I did not enjoy the 944 bashing here!  >:( I've had a handful of them, and currently have a 944 race car.

But then again, I race the 944 because....... It's just a 944.  If I do something dumb, and roll it up into a ball, it was just a 944.

Gotta agree on the 911's quirky advantages.  I've got an early one that's been hot-rodded.  What a car!

I know.  I've just heard bad things about 944's and if you like them, that's a good thing.  I'm sure if I would have had one, I'd have liked it too.

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »

I know.  I've just heard bad things about 944's and if you like them, that's a good thing.  I'm sure if I would have had one, I'd have liked it too.

Kinda like the R9.  Those that don't have one, bash them (how's that for bringing this thread back to where it started?)

To 911 drivers, the 944 suffers the same N A R P  syndrome as the 914.

Offline BytorJr

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »
My real issue with my 944 was that it was a complete money sink.   Rinky dink stuff.  It ate clutches (2 in about 90K miles) and shocks.   The low mileage on the clutch was probably the billion stoplights I had to go through and the whopping 140 lb-ft of torque (just about have to slightly slip it more often than not).  The master cylinder is a PITA to change too.   It does have a better A/C than the early 911's (up till the 993 series anyway).    Oh, and by the time I got rid of it, it had massive hysteresis in the drive-train - most likely the ring and pinion as those are a weak point in 944s.

That said, they are fantastic handling cars.  Mine was a N/A.  I wanted to keep it and convert to track usage.  However, I just didn't see spending the money on a new suspension and cage.   However, the "if it gets banged up, it's a 944" thought weighed heavily.  

The fact it had 7 and 8" Fuchs almost made me keep it.   But when somebody offers cash for it the very day you decide to sell  - before it goes on autotrader...well, take it whilst you can get it.  

As for the NARP thing...well, except for the engine and the aluminum control arms up front and banana's in the back (series 2 cars), it was really a Volkswagen-Audi group car.  

Finally, there's one thing about car people...about 90% of the time they are also gun people. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:18:00 AM by BytorJr »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »
There are several cars that could previously be spotted cruising the roads but are now very scarce: Porsche 914; 924; 944; and 928. Jaguar XKEs popped up once in awhile but no more. Some of my avant garde friends bought XKEs in the '60s but were disillusioned when they had to make high speed road trips on the weekends just to chug along at 30 mph in Coronado, Ca. during the week. Those carburetors were a problem.

Some one once observed that Lucas of British Leyland was dubbed the Prince of Darkness or otherwise known as Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:32:34 AM by tracker »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2010, 07:17:15 AM »
My 928 would still be crusing around if the offer (cash offer, as well) hadn't came up mid last year.  It was still fun to drive.  I really liked the car.  

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:30:56 AM by kjtrains »

Offline ACP

• Grand Master
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:17 AM »
kjtrains: To answer your question as to where I have been, I just got back from the "Narcissist's Convention". Big mistake. I went there to talk about me and nobody else did.
Those who turn their guns into plowshares end up plowing for those that do not - Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:06 AM »
ACP.  I guess I shouldn't have asked!  Oh, well.  

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2010, 01:11:18 PM »

I heard Obama was at that convention and dominated the self aggrandizement special interest group.