Author Topic: Need your input please  (Read 22055 times)

Offline margator

• Sharpshooter
Re: Need your input please
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
My pup functions fine so I aint gonna even look!

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »

My feelings exactly. ;D ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2011, 12:39:23 PM »

My bore isn't pretty.
But there are no signs of excess pressure on the fired brass, the velocity is correct for a 3" barrel and my R9 is extraordinarily accurate.

However, that is one pistol.  If your bore seems rough you should check your brass for signs of overpressure.

I am not trying to dismiss this issue, nor am I trying to overstate it.  I am saying that you should take just a moment and see if there is a concern.

I will not consider replacing my barrel, though the bore is a bit rough looking (tooling marks), because the pistol works very well as it is, and it is exceedingly accurate.  But that would be a different story if I was having issues that could be related to the bore.  

1.)  Operates safely
2.)  Operates reliably
3.)  Operates accurately

Those should be priorities for any firearm.
There is nothing wrong with beautiful, but putting form over function is, IMHO, a mistake.  YMMV.
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
I am on my second R9 as the first went back.  I say the bore is rough, Relic described it as Butt-Ugly.

I have had the pistol since March and have about 150 rounds through it.  It has been 100% reliable with the 4 brands of ammo I have tried plus the practice reloads I use in my PM9.  I am completely confident in this pistol.  I have been carrying it nearly every day for 2.5 months.  I stopped at the range a week ago and fired the 7 rounds I had been carrying plus an extra mag.  No problems.

This is a good gun and as easy to carry as my P380 Kahr.  It is not as accurate as my PM9 but that might just be me or the better Kahr sights.  The rough barrel bothers me but I already know Rohrbaugh's stance on that so I am keeping the gun and living with it. I shot 100 rounds through my PM9 and it took me 10 minutes to clean the bore.  I put 30 through the R9 and spent 30 minutes cleaning it.

I really can't figure out why Rohrbaugh continues to use these barrels but I guess that's between them and the buyers.  I am keeping mine for now.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:59:58 PM by MRC »

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
I am on my second R9 as the first went back.  I say the bore is rough, Relic described it as Butt-Ugly.

'Tis true.  I saw pictures of MRC's first barrel.  "Butt ugly" is a direct quote from me
Land of the free, because of the brave.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »

I have had the pistol since March and have about 150 rounds through it.  It has been 100% reliable with the 4 brands of ammo I have tried plus the practice reloads I use in my PM9.  I am completely confident in this pistol.  I have been carrying it nearly every day for 2.5 months.  I stopped at the range a week ago and fired the 7 rounds I had been carrying plus an extra mag.  No problems.

This is a good gun and as easy to carry as my P380 Kahr.  It is not as accurate as my PM9 but that might just be me or the better Kahr sights.  The rough barrel bothers me but I already know Rohrbaugh's stance on that so I am keeping the gun and living with it. I shot 100 rounds through my PM9 and it took me 10 minutes to clean the bore.  I put 30 through the R9 and spent 30 minutes cleaning it.

I really can't figure out why Rohrbaugh continues to use these barrels but I guess that's between them and the buyers.  I am keeping mine for now.

MRC.  Glad the R9 is performing well.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 09:46:01 AM »
Yes KJ, this is a good gun.  I have always prefered "striker fired" pistols because the triggers are usually too heavy on DAO hammer fired.  Not with this Rohrbaugh.  It is as smooth and light as any striker fired and I have had no light hits yet.  I have carried a Colt Pony and a Pocket Nine and both were good guns with awful triggers.  I looked into trigger jobs, but no Gunsmith would touch them as they knew I carried.

I don't like the barrel, the heel mag latch, or the ridiculously small grip screws, but it seems Rohrbaugh is not going to do anything about it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:14:17 AM by MRC »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
Man I can not believe this thread.

Where is it written that a barrel has to be shiney as a Marine's buttons at inspection ?

Has anyone thought by chance, that maybe, just maybe those rough marks may by accident "grip"  and "bite down" on the bullet and actually HELP stabilze the bullet BETTER before and/or as it leaves the barrel ?   Especially being a short barrel, that IS pretty important.

Now the Crown has to be mar-free, that can throw things off.

We have all read exempleary range reports on the incredible accracy of these little guns.  Pretty amazing huh?  So what if my barrel is not a purdy as my Smith or Colt - I can shoot it just about as good!

BFD

Talk to some competitive shooters.  Some have to shoot every few shots with a perfectly clean bore.  Others have to have a fouled bore.   There are no absolutes.

Some of you guys need to put your Big Boy Pants on.

Sorry for the rant, I have 3 R9's, none have shiney bores- but all three will eat anything and hit what I am aiming at.
To me THAT is important.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:22:46 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Quiet1

• Expert
  • Zen and the art of R9s
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
Has anyone thought by chance, that maybe, just maybe those rough marks may by accident "grip"  and "bite down" on the bullet and actually HELP stabilze the bullet BETTER before and/or as it leaves the barrel ?

.                      ::)     ::)     ::)     ::)     ::)
Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »

.                      ::)     ::)     ::)     ::)     ::)

I agree.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »
Based on what ?

It doesn't look purdy?

My daddy taught me that the bore should be shiney?

and his daddy taught him that the bore should be shiney?

A gun writer said that the bore should be shiney?

;D

Come on, let's discuss it.

Cough something up, just don't give me the rolly eyes.
What a cop out.  You guys are the ones whining.

I am willing to learn something.  I'm not saying I am right.  I just posed a theory - like half of gun ballistics out there already - just theories.

I'm just saying my R9's shoot darn good and who the heck is going to see the inside of the bore but me.  What difference does it make?  

It WORKS GREAT!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:01:28 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2011, 07:26:55 PM »

I don't have a dog in this fight but no one said it is about accuracy; it is just simply quality control and any owner has the right to question manufacturing inconsistency. See the below link on reaming.

http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotBarrelMakingFeature.htm

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
This says it all!    ;D

So, don't worry!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:59 PM »

There is no need to worry now. Five or ten years from now those horizontal chatter marks will have collected some ammo fodder detritus that the normal barrel cleaning process will not remove. This can result in barrel corrosion and accuracy will be the least of the concerns.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »
You do make some good points.