Author Topic: R9 Ammunition  (Read 16858 times)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
R9 Ammunition
« on: May 21, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »
What are you guys having success feeding your R9?

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
Re: R9 Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 02:46:10 AM »
Great question!  I'd like to hear range reports ASAP from those lucky enough to have theirs.

I suspect, the lighter bullets will be preferable??  I was thinking about using the Pow'Rball load (100gr, 1475fps, 483 ft/lbs - from test barrel).  Not sure what it'll do out of the short R-9 barrel, but I think the polymer ball will aid in HP expansion.
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 10:31:08 AM »
Isn't the Pow-R-Ball ammo from Cor-Bon a +P load.  I'm not sure Rohrbaugh recommends using +P ammo.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 12:39:58 PM »
Yes, it is.  I was thinking of carrying it as a defensive round.  Fire a couple to see how it does in the R-9 and put the rest in the magazine for defensive use.

General plinking (which will not be frequent), I'll most likely use the Winchester Valu-pak from Walmart.

A reloader could always pull a few of the Pow'Rball bullets and reload them at standard pressures.  Hey, that would be a great FS item here on the forum! ;D
I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 06:02:22 PM »
RBCD and MagSafe Defender cartridges are both standard pressure.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 01:11:52 PM »
Sorta repeating myself .. having posted this elsewhere but .....   my range teat ( http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=81781 ) .... dealt with 8 ammo types I had on hand.  The Golden Sabers came out very well and are currently in use as a carry load.  You will notice in the results if you go peek .. that WWB is remarkably good re small spread and ... ft lbs is about on a par with the Golden Saber .. so to me that's an excellent practice load at a good price.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline musician

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 09:41:45 AM »
Speer Gold Dot 115 grainers have been flawless, as have the 147 g's.  Glaser safety rounds (blue or gray tip) also have been reliable in mine.  And I agree, MagSafe works too.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 10:56:54 AM »
I've been using Winchester 115 Gr. Target/Range FMJ ammunition ("WWB") for practice and Remington 147 Gr. Golden Sabers for the carry load.  Like R9SCarry, I've been impressed with the performance of the Golden Sabers.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 11:09:46 AM »
I'm still waiting for Richard's bride, "The Judge" to claim his Rohrbaugh as her own.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 12:40:22 PM »
George:

I've got a free pass on that matter.  "Her Honor" is a petite little lady with very small hands and a strong aversion to recoil forces.  In a moment of weakness last month, I offered her the choice of my Guardian .32 or my Seecamp .32 if she would agree to carry something larger than her NAA MiniMag.  After examining them both, she said she preferred the feel of the Guardian over the Seecamp and agreed to try it out at the range.  She did that a few days later.  When I got home that night, she thanked me for my offer but declared that she had decided to stay with her NAA MiniMag.  (Once again, I tried not to let her see me smile.)

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 03:41:33 AM »
Hi Richard:

You and the Judge need to properly break in the couch.

Although she may not like recoil, ammo like RBCD has less recoil than a JHP or a FMJ and would give her, and you, greater confidence of her ability to stop a bad guy.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 10:01:57 PM »
George:

I keep looking for RBCD in my corner of the world but haven't found it yet.  I'll now try to order it on line.  From what I have read, and from your comments, it has to be good.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 10:44:41 PM »
Since I received my R9S I've put about 200rds of PMC 115gr ball thru it and 40 rds Federal 115gr 9BP, this is THE hp that most testers use as a standard of judging accuracy. Now I'm going to ask R9SCarrys help in posting the range report I posted on THR. Computers and I are like oil and water. PMC for practice and Federal for carry. BTW, I use my R9S as a BUG, which for me means 100% reliability shooting one hand, weak hand only. This pistol meets that standard.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 11:39:59 PM »
hey Bob!!  Welcome! :)

Hmmm .. your range report ... well I'll help that's for sure but ..... I am not sure of URL to find it and .. could be as easy as anything to post a relevant URL here ... so guys can go over and peek.

OTOH if you want to bring it over here then I'll assist but - still need a URL to find it!!  Get back to me on that.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Texas_Bob

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 09:04:13 PM »
R9SCarrys, I don't know how to "post" a link to let people see my report on THR. It is posted on the Autoloader Forum under My Rohrbaugh, Range Report and Impressions by Texas Bob. As I said I "computer challenged."