Author Topic: R9 Ammunition  (Read 16954 times)

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
RJ=

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: R9 Ammunition
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2004, 11:21:31 PM »
RJ - thx for sorting that out .. in fact by some fluke I had even missed seeing Bob's thread originally.  Rare event!  I am now up to speed.  Nice Bob . very nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Out of interest Bob . for future ref ..... if you want to post a link do the following ... but replace my curly braces with square ones like this - [ ,and ] . OK.

Copy the full URL you want from another browser .... and insert (paste) that URL into these tags ... I'll just put ''My URL'' inside for this example. ........

{url}My URL{/url}

Also - if you have an image you wish to show and a URL for it that allows ''hot linking'' (most do) ... do this .....

{img}Image URL{/url}

Hope this helps you.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2004, 01:27:01 PM »
Does anyone have any R9 chrono data on the Speer Gold Dot 9mm rounds (115 and 124gr standard pressure)?  

If not, R9sCarry, would you be willing to chrono some?  I'm happy to pony up some funds for the ammo.

I'm curious if it can hold it's own velocity-wise with the Golden Sabers.  
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2004, 08:16:42 PM »
FJC ... welcome :)

Well I have yet to get some God Dots, tho am quite interested to do some testing and see myself how they compare.  Trouble is, my local FFL has not much choice in SD ammo and I'd have to be near one of the shops further afield.  I will tho try and find some.

Other option is ... maybe before I get some, one or two others who have a chrono might well take up the challenge.  Either way yeah .. we do need figures I agree.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2004, 09:56:33 PM »
R9SCarry:
IM me an address and I will priority mail you a box of 50 Speer Gold Dot 124gr.  Well worth the small cost for your testing and results.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2004, 10:06:25 PM »
Hi Richard:

RBCD is an interesting product. Originally developed for use by the military in urban warfare situations, it was intended to penetrate light armor and body armor but expand and break up in a fluid rich enviornment. The military/LEO version has no lead. The civilian version has lead.

The idea is simple. In a jacket is placed a plastic plug. A bullet made of powdered metal held together in a plastic matrix is loaded. When the bullet hits a fluid rich enviornment, the plastic plug forces the bullet to expand and break-up.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 08:42:36 AM »
Hi Richard,

I am sorry but I didn't pick up on your earlier post. I just reviewed it after reading George's post. When I ordered my RBCD ammo in different calibers over the period of the last two years, I called the company and talked to their president Roscoe Stoker, who is a heck of a nice guy. I would recommend that you do the same. While I haven't done any extensive tests because of the cost, their stuff seems to be much better than anything else I have used. I intend to carry it in my R9s when I get it.

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 01:38:09 PM »
R9scarry, pm me your address and I'll order a box or two of the 115gr Gold Dots and have them shipped right to you (sounds like someone else has the 124gr covered!)

Thanks,
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline Datan

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 02:26:10 PM »
I've been using Silvertips.  I asked Eric for a recommendation - without actually giving a recommendation, he said that this was what he and Karl carry.  Karl's has a couple thousand rounds of Silvertips through his as I understand.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2004, 06:39:24 PM »
George and Shooter:

Thank you for the information on RBCD.  I shall be calling Mr. Stoker to order a supply.  Meanwhile, I've been using the 147 Gr. Golden Saber JHPs for my R9S.  There is something comforting in the idea of a 147 Gr. JHP 9mm bullet cruising along toward its target.  While I haven't chronographed the round, it has been very impressive during my range sessions.

RS  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2004, 06:48:54 PM »
Richard,  have you shot the lighter Speer Gold Dot 124gr.
It would be interesting to know if the recoil is much less..  
RJ=

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2004, 10:39:50 PM »
RJ:

I was looking at the Speer Gold Dots at the Saturday morning meeting of the "Regulars" at my local FFL's shop this weekend, but I did not buy them.  After a flurry of activity at the range after taking delivery of my new "toy," I have had to leave it in the gun safe while its grips are reproduced in sterling silver.  I know it is a conceit, but I am indulging myself in my old age -- for the same reasons I have asked you to stamp my initials into each one of the elegant holsters you have crafted for me, including that beauty which you made for my R9s.

I'll go back next weekend and load up on the Gold Dots.  Then, when I have some grips back on the Rohrbaugh, I shall test them against the Golden Sabers, the RBCDs, the Glasers, and the Silver Tips.

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 11:01:25 PM »
RJ:

I have had to leave it in the gun safe while its grips are reproduced in sterling silver.  I know it is a conceit, but I am indulging myself in my old age
RS

Hey, you're making it more unique for you, you are paying for it, and you are giving someone some work to help keep their family fed.  Doesn't sound conceited to me at all. :)
--Frank C. (FJC)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 09:09:07 PM »
Frank .. have responded to your message . thx for that and the offer.  When I get the 124's from Mike I'll let you know and then very likely take you up on that offer for 115's ...... Actually - more I think about it now in fact - the more comprehensive this'll make our evaluation.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline FJC

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 10:04:35 PM »
One box of 115gr Gold Dots is it's way to you.  Also, a box of Federal Classic 9BP 9mm.  It's somewhat highly regarded as a great performer amoung the non +P 9mm rounds.

I suggest a new sticky post compiling all the chrono data. :)
--Frank C. (FJC)